• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Onyx Reserve Series O/U 12g Sporting Build Thread..

Re: Mossberg Onyx Reserve Series O/U 12g Sporting Build Thre

DHonovich said:
Mossberg Onyx Reserve Series O/U 12g Sporting Build Thread

p211222803-4.jpg

p163814493-4.jpg

p397670694-4.jpg

p423496913-4.jpg

p517915695-4.jpg

p138730552-4.jpg

p323017181-4.jpg

p515773805-4.jpg

p284446759-4.jpg

p499045832-4.jpg

p364298928-4.jpg

p242901952-4.jpg

p354063434-4.jpg

p526180014-4.jpg

p15046279-4.jpg

Added a set of Trulock Chokes (Precision Hunter Series Skeet 1, Skeet 2, Improved Modified and Extra Full)
p882516584-4.jpg

p1060267298-4.jpg

p724420177-4.jpg

p798921912-4.jpg

p1053571716-4.jpg

p1064592707-4.jpg

p1073425268-4.jpg

p947450319-4.jpg

Added a medium Limbsaver slip on pad
p840029879-4.jpg

How do the chokes work with the porting? Any change in patterning?

Thx, CW

The chokes work really well with the porting but I can not comment on how the porting changed the patterning (gun came with the porting from the factory). The gun is a real shooter; it may not have a build quality such as Browning would but it has no problem breaking clays all day long at the range.

I agree as an owner of two silver reserves – I really feel that the gun gets no respect from sporting clay shooters. Everyone does not have the disposable income to spend 2k plus on a Browning. This is a good gun for the money.

JoeRotella,
Respect for an O/U must be earned. Mossberg started this line by selling an inferior product and is still paying the price for it.
My safe is FULL of shotguns, 4 of them are the best model of pump gun EVER made.....500's.
I am in no way a Mossberg basher but when it comes to O/U's, that are expected to last 100,000 rounds, my safe has Browning's and Beretta's to fill that task.

See the thing is that I am NOT one of those casual clay shooters that shoots, MAYBE, 500 to 1000 rounds a year. I could knock that much out over a good week or even a weekend of shooting.

When it comes to SxS's, the first I ever bought was a Turkish made gun....I will never make that mistake again! It needed MAJOR metal repair after the 5th time I took it out.
My next SxS was an old Sears & Roebuck (Stevens built) 311A. It is built like a tank and well worth the $200 I paid for it. :shock:

Also I have NEVER spent more than $850 for a used "B" gun and they just keep shooting.

So I guess your point is that once a bad gun always a bad gun, for the record I have a safe full also - everything from Beretta, Benelli and Franchi - my point was stop casting ALL Silver Reserves with the same "the gun is junk cause the first ones had firing pin problems". I guess I'm really lucky cause I have the only two that work.

JoeRotella said:
So I guess your point is that once a bad gun always a bad gun,
Now it seems that you are putting words in my mouth. Something that I don't appreciate

My point is that Mossberg screwed the pooch in the beginning with this line of shotguns.
They should have made them in America with lots of QC, instead of getting, Khan in Turkey to label a gun Mossberg for them.
It will take a whole lot of good things from them on the O/U platform for most of us to accept that Mossberg is making a reliable shotgun. That is just a fact, when it comes to the clay sports community.

Are you lucky having the ONLY two that work?
I say NOPE, since I do know of at least 2 more that work fine!
Yet none of them have had the round count that would make me say they are a reliable sporting gun. A couple of hunts a year and a few rounds of Skeet or Sporting Clays is probably what most Mossberg O/U shooters use their gun for. So it will probably be fine for them.

I have said it many times that I wish that Mossberg would get their act together with O/U's.
I would love to have a Mossberg O/U that could go 100,000 rounds, and after they get a few that far, I may get one.

I really don't think I'm putting words in anybody’s mouth - not my intention to go back and forth on something that means nothing to me - you have your opinion and I have mine - I guess we can agree to disagree!

Joe

Interesting read over 2 years later.

I purchased a Mossberg 12 gauge O/U Onyx Reserve in 2006 for sporting clays. I could have purchased any gun I wanted but the Mossy just felt good to me and shouldered nicely. The fit of the shotgun to my body type was the primary decision driver for me at that time. Still is today.

I had to send it back to Mossberg in 2008 for a firing pin/mechanism repair. Since it's come back it has performed very well. Pain in the ass but Mossberg took care of it pretty fast I recall. No complaints.

I shoot with a pretty large group of guys with a wide range of shot guns - pumps, semis, O/U, SxS. I'm the only one with a Mossy by the way. Regardless if it's a $8000 Berretta, a Remminton 870, CZ, Browning, etc. we all have the odd FTF/FTE from time to time. I like the ported barrel and the manuel extraction.

It's not a go to war gun but I'd feel confidant enough to grab it in a pinch. I'm pretty sure I could hit a hoodlum running across my front lawn carrying my TV with a 7.5 birdshot if needed!!!!

The shotgun itself still looks and feels as great today as it did the first time I picked it up at Gander Mountain 10 years ago. I've put thousands of rounds thru it and it still goes BANG when I pull the trigger. It's my first choice when we go out to the clays course. Pretty good for the $580 I spent 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add to my Mossberg Onyx O/U Reserve story for those who are interested.

I was out shooting sporting clays in mid January. It was a very cold day probably 15 degrees F with a decent wind!! The course was set up such that I was selecting between O and U quite a bit. After about 8 stations the lower barrel stopped firing. It was so cold that we stopped at that point anyway and headed to the pub. When I arrived back home I checked out the receiver and as I expected there was an empty hole where there firing pin used to be.

That Monday I contacted Mossberg service, filled out the paper work to send it back to Texas on Jan. 19th, 2018. This is the second time it's been back to Mossberg for firing a firing pin issue. The first time was in 2008. Ten years ago.

Interesting to note that the Onyx Reserve is not on the list of shot guns that Mossberg services. The Silver Reserve is. The technician I spoke to told me that it's basically the same gun so it falls under the Silver Reserve. It will be interesting to see how long this takes. Looking forward to getting the old girl back!!

In the meantime I just purchased a M500 field/home defense Flex model #55117 from Cabelas. Our shooting group does a "pump day" from time to time on the sporting clay's course and it's a lot of fun. I think that this Flex will be a great addition to my stable of Mossy pump guns (5 and counting). The ability to change chokes on this model will serve me better for clay shooting than the other two 500's and the 590A1 that I own.

In the meantime I just purchased a M500 field/home defense Flex model #55117 from Cabelas. Our shooting group does a "pump day" from time to time on the sporting clay's course and it's a lot of fun. I think that this Flex will be a great addition to my stable of Mossy pump guns (5 and counting). The ability to change chokes on this model will serve me better for clay shooting than the other two 500's and the 590A1 that I own.

My 500 with a C-lect choked barrel is my go to Sporting Clays gun.
I have shot many a round with that gun.
I call it BUBBA
When the FFL that was doing the xfer for me saw the old beat up 70's Mossberg camo on it and thought some bubba did a horrible rattle can paint job on it......LOL!

I rattle canned it using a sponge paint technique, came out great.
Love that gun!

To anyone that's interested.

Just to close out the story with respect to my Onyx Reserve Sporting model. I rec'd the shot gun back from Mossberg today (March 7, 2018). Almost 7 weeks - not bad. They didn't charge me anything and shipped it back at their expense.

They replaced a firing pin and firing pin spring. Shot gun looks good. They thoroughly cleaned the receiver. Trigger pull seems a little rougher than I remember.

I'll take it out to shoot some clays in the next couple of weeks but I'm very satisfied with Mossberg service.

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots now.

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots now.
Sorry John A. I have not been back to this thread in a while. Just to answer your question the gun shoots fine. Really no noticeable difference to report. Great to be able to shoot it again. It really is a fine gun for me. Hopefully I'll get another 10 years out of her.

Last edited:
Back