• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I Updated the M500 Bullpup

I had bought a M500 Bullpup new back in the late 1980's, they were very cool but the ergonomics really sucked, I traded it for my first SPAS 12 which also had questionable ergonomics. I receantly had the chance to buy a M500 bullpup again, this one had a crack in the carry handle and I knew that I would up date it, this is how it was when I got it off of GB from a dealer that specializes in police trade ins and confiscations.

Yep, your standard awkward M500 Bull pup, awful forward grip angle, hideous carry handle, no provisions for a sling.

I had a plan and took it apart, what an adventure!

I never knew that there were directions inside!

God, what a complicated trigger group!

I added a front left and right picatinny rail, changed the front grip out to a Beretta folder on a short picatinny rail, added a rear picatinny rail for the sling, modified the old carry handle for a picatinny rail and a riser, and added Primary Arms red dot.

The 117 is a reference to what?

How did I miss this! I don't know the reference but it looks sweet, very nice work!

That's one of the most rare variant that I know of.

You did some nice upgrades to it.

The $100 question, how does it shoot?

It shoots great! The red dot works well with it. I bought a new old stock carry handle so I could return it to the original configuration. I used the factory holes in the forearm to mount the short Picatinny rail for the fore grip, I could put that original grip back on. I did make holes in the plastic for the side mounted Picatinny rails. The Bullpups are kind of clunky to shoot but they are very compact, I just made it more user friendly to me. I thought about replacing the 18" five shot M500 out for my 20" eight shot M590 but after thinking about it, I decided against it.

I believe you were right in keeping it as compact as possible (and less front heavy and bulky).

After a search, the Z 117 is either chemistry, boating equipment, or possibly anime related.

After a search, the Z 117 is either chemistry, boating equipment, or possibly anime related.

Hey at least I gave you something to do for five minutes!

The 117 is a referance to John - 117, Master Chief from the Halo series of video games. Z , just because. I refinish M14 stocks for fun and always enjoy the rack numbers, I thought that I would have a little fun with my up dated Bull Pup, it does look like something that would be in a science fiction video game, a 30 year old design still looks like something from tomorrow! Where the hell are our jet powered flying cars George, this is 2016 after all!

Z-117 is a rack number to designate where it sits in the police armory. Arms rooms all over the world use stenciled bold numbers to show in which rack and slot it is stored. The weapons card holder presents his card to the arms room and draws the assigned weapon. The weapons card is laid into the rack in that slot and when the weapon is returned the cardholder gets his card back. It is a very quick way to see who still has a weapon checked out from the arms room.

Wonder if there's any corellation between;
John 117 and
John 1:17.

John 1:17

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”

The shiny mariner is a long time favorite of mine!!! If ever you sell it, please think of me.

The shiny mariner is a long time favorite of mine!!! If ever you sell it, please think of me.

I will keep you in mind if I ever decide to sell old shiny 844, that is one of my favorites as well, it doubles as one of the primary HD shotguns and I also put a vent rib 24" barrel on it and take it skeet shooting, I get some funny looks sometimes but 844 gets the job done!

Back