• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is the best way to sight in my patrol?

Brand new patrol 7.62 owner here. The closest place to sight in my rifle, by shooting, is a range with a 75ft depth. Is there a specific depth/range of fire that I would need to sight in my rifle? Are rifles of different barrel lengths sighted in differently? Is there a "go to" book that can educate me on "sighting in a rifle"?

Hi and welcome to MO!

I'm sure some math can be done to figure out where a 100 yard zero will hit at 25 yards but I don't personally know how to do it.

Are sighting in with irons or a scope?

Go here...

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

Input your desired zero data in at, say 100-yards with your bullet and velocity and B.C. info. Or do it at 150, or 200. It's up to you.

Then when you calculate, it will show you where the bullet should strike at 25-yards (75-feet) so that with a good rest you can get the POI to hit LOW @ 25-yards but will be where it where it needs to be to hit at 100 (or whatever you put in as your absolute zero distance).

Go here...

Input your desired zero data in at, say 100-yards with your bullet and velocity and B.C. info. Or do it at 150, or 200. It's up to you.

Then when you calculate, it will show you where the bullet should strike at 25-yards (75-feet) so that with a good rest you can get the POI to hit LOW @ 25-yards but will be where it where it needs to be to hit at 100 (or whatever you put in as your absolute zero distance).

Oh wow, I had no idea that existed! That's like having an easy button for bullet coefficients and stuff. I had an accountant help me with my hold points, too many numbers for me! Lol

My experience with ballistic calculators is that they can get you close under perfect conditions but I would still try and find a range where you can actually shoot your desired distance.

I use an app on my phone, Strelok, that is pretty good as long as you enter all the required info accurately...it's much more accurate than the shooter is in my case. LOL

But you're the cooliest!
Too late. You just made my audit list. Prepare thyself.

To be back on track
Go here...

This is the answer you seek.

I will be sighting in with a scope. Just didn't know if the carbine length barrel will have a noticeable effect on the velocity, etc. I can get the velocity stats for the ammo, but aren't the stats for "test barrel" velocities? I know a few basic things about shooting but when you say "ballistic coefficient", my eyeballs start circling in their sockets.

Essentially, I would like to sight the rifle so that I know that I will hit my mark up to 100 yards. I am not sure that I will ever be concerned about shooting any farther than that.

And I do appreciate the info, thanks guys.

By ballistic coefficients here's a little of what I mean;

http://m.hornady.com/store/308-Win-110-gr-FPD/

You'll see the coefficient listed as .290. This is among the numbers that would be entered into a ballistic calculator. The scope height is also important. The ballistic data will help determine point of impact at given distances, and should give an idea or expectation of where point of impact would be even at 25 yards. The information should tell you in MOA or in inches how far below your crosshairs point of impact will be at range.

I don't put a ton of stock in barrel length. It makes a difference but it may be negligible at 100 yards. But it's part of the reason there's no substitute for actually shooting the distance for fine tuning.

I'll do a little more looking yet.

So you can use Hornadys information, or info from another manufacturer, and enter it into the ballistic calculator linked above. I just did the one I linked and pictured. It's pretty cool. I wonder if my accountant just used Hornadys calculator but was like, yeah give me a couple days to work on these numbers. :) :sniper:

Also just re entered the info for a 25 yard sight in and it says 3" low at 100 yards. So you could in theory, sight in at 25 yards then make click adjustments to the elevation to bring point of impact up for a 100 yard zero and then fine tune when you're able to get to a longer range.

That's a fast bullet! I went with the more cost effective American Eagle, which is still an excellent round. 150gr boat tail moving at 2800fps, but just under $20 per 20 at Academy. I want to say that I really do appreciate your help and it appears that I've got some homework to do.

I wonder if my accountant just used Hornadys calculator but was like, yeah give me a couple days to work on these numbers. :) :sniper:

I cross referenced a few ballistic calculators to ensure a consistent number, added in wind variables, dropped it in MY rudimentary quick check dope chart and added some tips on how to judge wind speed and calculated 75% of full value on the wind speed dope for wind coming in at angles.

:gimme5:

O'doyal rules.

Accountants.... Get no love till April 15th.

Last edited:
Now that I know what "eye relief" is, I have determined that the scope that came with my patrol is essentially useless.

Any recommendations on a good scope that won't brake the bank?

Attachments

• WP_20160615_05_24_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160615_05_24_17_Pro.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Now that I know what "eye relief" is, I have determined that the scope that came with my patrol is essentially useless.

Any recommendations on a good scope that won't brake the bank?

I've found Redfield to be a nice scope. Not necessarily high end but American made in Oregon by Leupold. They can be found new for around $180, I found mine for less.

I decided to have a little patience with the scope that came with my patrol. After all, it views from 3 yards to whatever which is not such a bad thing. And, i also decided to cheat a little and got a laser to bore sight my rifle. The instructions that came with the laser said to sight it in at 25 feet and that would put me at about 100 yds. Does that sound reasonable?

I had the added bonus of being able to use the laser for my Rossi single shot .243 which made me just a little giddy. I have an aim sports 4 X 32 on my single shot. It is a pretty nice scope even though it was inexpensive.

WP_20160615_05_24_17_Pro.jpg WP_20160623_16_42_45_Pro.jpg WP_20160623_17_02_07_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I'd use a Democrat and a Libtard to sight in my rifle. They are plentiful and easy to find. Most have Obama bumper stickers and get the "deer-in-the-headlights" look when they see you wearing an NRA shirt...

I think 25' is awfully close. That would be shooting really high between that point and somewhere really far away. I cant know the trajectory but the bore axis has to pointed up/tilted back for it to meet the sight plane that quickly. Even at 25 yards, point of impact really should be somewhat below point of aim because at that point the bullet is still traveling up. I'm inclined to agree with the above about sighting in 1" low at that distance and work from there. From some of the earlier math we did with the calculators you'd be in the 3/4" range of a 100 yard zero like this. That's a guess but it's way closer than you'd be if you zero at 25'. That could leave you off the paper all together if you do get to shoot a longer shot such as 100 yards.

Does the scope have enough adjustment to zero at 25'? To move point of impact up on the target, the focal point of the scope has to travel down a lot. (the adjustment turret turned in the "up" direction)

Curious to hear where you are with this, I know it's been a few or several days since your last comment here. Keep us posted! ;)

Back