• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Aftermarket Magazine Follower Issues

Don't want to get off on the wrong foot right out of the gate, but what was wrong with the stock follower? My 590 is new to me but have been using 500's & 88's since 1975 & never an issue with a follower or spring. They do look pretty.

The stock follower is steel and un-vented, which itself isn't a problem until it is.

We had a factory follower in a 500 used as a prop gun in a wet, night 3-gun match that welded itself to the magazine tube with rust. The spring was also rusted when we took it apart weeks later because there is no vent in either the follower or tube cap. The moisture from loading wet shells stayed trapped and we didn't notice it was happening in the safe since we had thoroughly dried the rest of the gun off. Granted, it is a bit tougher than the 590 to get a 500 magazine apart and dry out, but the effects of moisture and salt air made replacing them a priority with a vented version in all of our own pump guns. We had made sure that the one we designed for the 930 also worked with the 500/590. A little heat to the 500's magazine tube at the receiver and they pop loose with a strap wrench. One more thing we get to deal with on the coast.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Thanks, I can picture that happening. Having hunted ducks in salt water/bad weather a full strip & detailed clean/lube was always in order after each hunt if you knew what was good for any gun., We never bothered to remove the mag tube. The mag follower / cap & the spring would allow you to get in there with solvent followed by a dry patch then lube/preserve, ditto for the spring/follower/cap.

After reading through the thread again maybe I should get a Oregon follower. ;)
I have a vang comp hiviz follower in my 590. The stock follower doesn't inspire confidence.
EXACTLY HOW DID it "not inspire confidence", did the stock follower fail?, not work? OR are you looking to spend $ trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist? If you prefer the way it looks, that's your biz. What I'm trying to get at, is there something I need to know or worry about as I'm new to the 590, but NEVER had an issue with the 500's or Mav 88's, going back 40 years. An aftermarket follower that has a reputation for hanging up a round, or reducing capacity, would not inspire confidence in me. Wet/salty ammo left in a mag to rust, just seems like an owners lack of maintenance. If a gun is exposed to a salt/wet condition, It's gonna need a little TLC, regardless. MY 2 cents.

The stock follower is fine and will work for years. It's tried and true. Fact is though, it's not great. These are solid guns but there's plenty of cost-saving in manufacturing to make them affordable. Plastic safety, stamped steel parts that aren't perfect, and you can look at the QC issues that Mossberg has had. Personally, I wanted a smoother follower. The stock one was pretty scratchy and noisy. With the OR3GUN unit, it's a lot smoother and actually easier to load. I like that it's a different color as well. It's not a safety feature and likely won't make the gun more or less reliable but I like it, especially for the price. There's other accessories that I've regretted buying but this isn't one of them.

I have to agree. There was nothing wrong the stock follower, but it's made of stamped sheet metal. Didn't seem like it belongs in military grade firearm like the 590A1. The OR3GUN follower really stands out in that blue color, and I like that. I'm not advocating everyone get one, but I'm glad I did.

The only problem (to me) with a aftermarket follower is that you loose one round to load. The 8 round tube will only hold 7 round. The 8 round tube is why I bought the 590 in the first place.

if I lost one round in the mag tube, I would have to go back to the OEM follower, but in my case, the capacity is the same. I have the 18.5 " barrel with an S&J extension. So, 7 rounds is what I get.

For hunting I like to load 5, the same # a box of hunting slugs usually hold so I don't have to keep any in my pocket. If I were going off to war, I'd want max capacity. If I fired 5+ rounds inside my house & survived, my wife might kill me, LOL.

Back