• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 chambering issue

Chief09

.22LR
Ok guys, I'm new to the forum. Came here looking for some help. I bought a 930 JM Pro to get started in 3 gun. I have read every article about its feed problems and haven't found one that addresses this issue. The shells come out of the tube fine and eject fine, but when the shell is lifted and pushed toward the chamber, it doesn't line up. The shell hits the chamber off center (high or right) and doesn't allow the bolt to close. It doesn't happen every time. I have noticed that the shorter the shell, the more often it happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160624_174421.jpg
    20160624_174421.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 35
index.php

Welcome, Chief. Glad to have you with us. This is not in my area of expertise, but I will bet you have some good advice from our resident experts soon.

When you get a chance drop over to the New Users forum and share some background.

How many rounds do you have through the gun? Check the recoil spring plunger inside of the stock. It can get burrs on it due to the recoil spring digging into it, which can slow down the action and cause all kinds of misfeed issues. If it has burrs, round them off with a file. I chucked mine up in a drill and ran it against a file. Grind the end of the recoil spring flat, so it'll never happen. Grind the spring no matter what.

I have seen this issue pop up within a few 100 rounds, and I have seen it take 1000 rounds. Always something worth checking though.

I will definitely check the spring, but I have maybe 15 rounds through the gun. First 10 shells = 4 misfeeds.

What ammo are you using? Some of these guns can be ammo sensitive until broken in. My 930 JM Pro eats Winchester bulk packs all day long but won't feed the Federal bulk pack stuff. My buddies gun (also 930 JM Pro) will run the Federal all day long, but not the Winchester. I run Winchester AA 1300fps just for extra knock down power.

Tried Winchester super X slugs, 00 buck, bulk bird shot and PMC bird shot. They are all labeled 2 3/4in, but as you can see they are all different lengths. It loads the slugs (longest) the best and the PMC (shortest) the worst, but none of them consistently. I'll try federal and see what happens. It's just frustrating because I've had two other shotguns that would eat anything you put in them.

Attachments

• Shells.jpg
    Shells.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 10
As for the shells, 2-3/4" is the length of the (open) fired hull. There is wide variation in the loaded length.

The first thing I would do is pull the trigger group and check the shell lifter arms. They should be perfectly flat and straight, with no bends, kinks, or twists. They should also be parallel to the sides of the lifter itself.

As for the shells, 2-3/4" is the length of the (open) fired hull. There is wide variation in the loaded length.

The first thing I would do is pull the trigger group and check the shell lifter arms. They should be perfectly flat and straight, with no bends, kinks, or twists. They should also be parallel to the sides of the lifter itself.
Been shooting and reloading shotgun shells for 30+ years and never realized the length refered to an open casing. Don't I feel dumb....ha ha. Learned something new today. Thx PawPaw.

Here are pics of the trigger group and lifter. I don't see anything obvious... put it back together and it still misfeeds 3-4 out of 9. Going to try and find some federal shells and give it a go this afternoon. Really hope this isn't a single ammo brand gun.

Attachments

• Trigger side.jpg
    Trigger side.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Trigger above.jpg
    Trigger above.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Lifter up.jpg
    Lifter up.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 12
Are there any sharp edges on the lifter? Sometimes the lifter can cause the issue. Look mostly at the inside edge, as that's were it would catch.

The lifter was my first thought as well, but I don't see any sharp edges or obvious issues. Also it seems to lift straight up and down, not off to one side. Even looked at the shells for any cuts or indicators of a hang up.

This is killing me. I carried a Mossberg shotty in the military for years with no problems.... I finally buy one and I can't get a box of shells through it.

The pics of your lifter look good. Does your lifter stick out of the loading port a little bit, like this?

85119-catalog.jpg

It should. If not, it may be bent just a little, causing it to raise the shells too high.

Yeah, it looks just like that.
What do you think of this? The "feed ramp" (AR guy) around the chamber is really uneven. Is this normal? Maybe I need to knock the edges down to make a smoother more even port?

Attachments

• 20160625_141136.jpg
    20160625_141136.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 15
I think I figured it out! 30 seconds and a Dremel later, it cycles like a champ. I think the problem was what I call the feed ramp wasn't machined properly. So I took a sanding wheel and very carefully ground down the "mistakes?" On the lower right and upper right portion of the chamber. Not sure it this was the root cause, but it seems to be the fix. I've cycled several different brands of shells throught it, no prob. I will remain cautiously optimistic untill I shoot it, but hopefully this will help out anyone else having the same problem. Thanks for all the ideas and help.

Attachments

• 20160625_141136.jpg
    20160625_141136.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20160625_152151.jpg
    20160625_152151.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 19
I think I figured it out! 30 seconds and a Dremel later, it cycles like a champ. I think the problem was what I call the feed ramp wasn't machined properly. So I took a sanding wheel and very carefully ground down the "mistakes?" On the lower right and upper right portion of the chamber. Not sure it this was the root cause, but it seems to be the fix. I've cycled several different brands of shells throught it, no prob. I will remain cautiously optimistic untill I shoot it, but hopefully this will help out anyone else having the same problem. Thanks for all the ideas and help.

That's not nearly as common an issue, but have seen it one other time. Glad you got things figured out.

Back