• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

22" JM Pro 10 -shot??

David

Copper BB
I just picked up a 22" JM Pro at the Nation's Gun Show and discovered the darndest thing. The magazine tube extends past the barrel about 1/4 inch. I took her all the way down per Jerry's video and cleaned it all (haven't shot it yet). I made sure the forearm seated properly and then tightened the magazine nut and it still extends beyond the barrel.

I'm not worried about the little bit it sticks out - it doesn't look bad and I know it won't affect anything. Then I discovered the odd thing: I started loading 2 3/4 shells and I was able to easily stuff 9 rounds in the tube plus one in the chamber (Remington 7 shot)!

The gun is brand new in the box, serial numbers match and all but it's almost like Mossberg put the magazine extension for the 24" on this 22" (seems like it would extend farther if this were true). I have not been able to test fire yet but they all cycled through and ejected as I ran the bolt manually.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not complaining - I'm actually happy to have the extra round with the shorter 22" barrel.

David, Welcome from E TN. My VA stint was from 1949 to 1952 when my dad worked for Bureau of Weapons [Navy] and we lived in Falls Church.

Thoughts on your JM? Could you post a pic of the gun? Especially the end of the mag tube. I probably won't be able answer any questions on that, but we have some brilliant people here that might be able to educate us.

Also, it will give you a chance to practice posting pix on the forum. Most of our shots are to brag, but the most useful ones are to diagnose problems. Then there is the humor. We love them all.

Glad to have you with us!

Thanks Scoop! I don't really see this as a problem as long as it feeds and fires when I test it out. Here's a pic and you can see the mag tube extends just a bit.

20160731_203218.jpg

You're fine with the overhang. Some competition shooters have special magazines that extend inches further. I plan on getting one these JM Pro Models hopefully yet this year. I've checked and it will fit down my fireplace chimney. :>)

I guess I was really asking if this speaks to Mossberg's QC. Being as this is my first Mossberg, reading of all the other issues with function, and then seeing this mag tube not being flush. I thought maybe some of you fellow JM pro owners had ever seen this or if it was a common assembly issue at the factory.

If it didn't come straight from a sealed box it is hard to tell where the change was made, but you do in fact have the 10-round 24" JM Pro tube on your 22" gun. Not a problem at all, except that it makes changing chokes a bit more tedious. The 22" version is a really well balanced gun. Shoot it and enjoy your extra round bonus!

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Thanks William, I consider myself pretty lucky! I just put a Bushnell First Strike reflex sight on it (atop a UTG rail). It's the first red dot sight I've ever owned and it looks amazing in any light. I can keep both eyes open and quickly get on target. Can't wait to shoot this beauty!

Update: went to the range this weekend finally and put several rounds of buckshot and slugs through it. the JM Pro ran like a boss with no problems at all! First shot was a slug using a Bushnell First Strike red dot. Dead center at 25 yds with no adjustments to the sight. I wanted to just put it away but I knew I needed to see how it ran after several shots.

The part of the larger mag tube that extends past the barrel a 1/4 inch or so just got some gun powder residue that wiped right off. The 10 round capacity is worth a little grime!

Very happy with the JM Pro. Can't wait to shoot it outdoors where I can test game loads for cycling (and quite honestly, I'll be using it exclusively for slugs and 00 buck so who cares how it handles bird shot?).

Hello, new to the forum. I just picked up my new JM Pro 22 on Friday the 19th and noticed the longer mag tube on it as well. I was searching the internet looking to see if anyone else had the same thing when I stumbled onto this forum. I can't find any info anywhere else on this. I wonder how many others are this way?

Yeah Boedy, as you can see in my pic farther up, it's the same as mine. I actually love it! 10 rounds of 2 3/4 with the shorter 22 inch barrel seems like a great combo and mine shoots great. Have you shot yours yet? I'd love to hear how it runs. When I got mine home to clean I just had some fouling on the end of the magazine that wiped right off.

Hi David, I'm going to get it cleaned up and take it out this week. I can't wait to run it! It's a bonus to get the extra round, something I was going to do anyway. A nice little freebee from Mossberg!

Update: went to the range this weekend finally and put several rounds of buckshot and slugs through it. the JM Pro ran like a boss with no problems at all! First shot was a slug using a Bushnell First Strike red dot. Dead center at 25 yds with no adjustments to the sight. I wanted to just put it away but I knew I needed to see how it ran after several shots.

The part of the larger mag tube that extends past the barrel a 1/4 inch or so just got some gun powder residue that wiped right off. The 10 round capacity is worth a little grime!

Very happy with the JM Pro. Can't wait to shoot it outdoors where I can test game loads for cycling (and quite honestly, I'll be using it exclusively for slugs and 00 buck so who cares how it handles bird shot?).

It is important to know how your gun runs all ammo. It might just be all you can get some day who knows. Buy you a box of 100 bulk bird shot from the big box store. Run them through and pattern it at the same time. WHY, Well, you just never know who or what is around the next corner, or election.
Know Your Firearm.

Get an extended choke, and that extension will be flush with the barrel. It'll keep it clean. You don't have to worry about damage. You can go with extensions 2 feet past the muzzle before you run into issues. My XRail sticks out 3 or 4 inches past my barrel. It gets dirty quick.

Mine came in this week with the longer tube as well. It makes sense, but takes away from the appeal of the 24 incher. It's 8+1 with 3" but haven't tested it for function yet when packed that full

Get an extended choke, and that extension will be flush with the barrel. It'll keep it clean. You don't have to worry about damage. You can go with extensions 2 feet past the muzzle before you run into issues. My XRail sticks out 3 or 4 inches past my barrel. It gets dirty quick.

...yes!...i have considered this...i already own the benelli with the integrated xrail...it is just a great amount of fun to run a whole box down-range in a matter of seconds...

Mine came in this week with the longer tube as well. It makes sense, but takes away from the appeal of the 24 incher. It's 8+1 with 3" but haven't tested it for function yet when packed that full
...mine functioned as it should...i even ghost loaded an addition 3"...

Back