• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best for home defense

I need to get the load data for my type of gun. I've never done black powder.

Last edited:
I need to get the load data for my tyoe gun. I've never done black powder.
there will be no data for that shit

you are taking a break action shotgun designed to shoot modern shotgun shells burning smokeless powder , and tuning it into a black powder gun.

Start low , pay attention to projectile weight. Black powder operates at low pressure so it is safe to shoot from any gun that is shootable but it is an explosive and will pressure spike a lot quicker than smokeless.......and static will ignite it.........you can get it wet and dry it back out fully usable

you will not be impressed with the velocity either......but in the post apocalyptic world it would be nice to have

... And you you could even make your own in case you need to kill a Klingon on some deserted planet.

Well no exact data may be available from the ammo makers, but I'm sure I will find some other guys who have already blazed this Trail.

At least I need some idea of how much to start with and the max practical volume of powder.

As I said I've never done black powder but I assume it's always measured by volume since nobody in the field could carry a scale.

But like I said I don't know a damn thing about it.

I'm just kicking up dirt... but Here's birdshot tested from 10-20 feet:

Now here's buck shot:

Notice how buckshot meets the 12-18" FBI requirements

Bird shot does not

Next time out (possibly this weekend), I'll get a picture of what a 3 inch mag. steel BB does at 15ft to a 5 gal. steel can through my 930 SPX.
Finally made some time to pull the trigger a few times. Work, work, work I tell ya sure gets in the way sometimes.

Ok here are a few pics. The BB's are with Federal Premium 3" mag BB and the OO's are with Hornady 2 3/4" Critical Defense. All shot through my 930SPX (Man I love this gun!!)

15 ft BB
15 ft BB.jpg

15 ft BB exit
15 ft BB exit.jpg

Now for a deeper penetration test

15 ft BB double cans, in/out of the first and this is the entrance into the second can.
15 ft BB second can entrance.jpg

And this is the exit from the second can.
15 ft BB second can exit.jpg

All said and done, my feelings are the 3 inch Mag BB's will get the job done for HD situations. OO will surely get it done, but you better have a decent aim or you'll miss. Personally I will leave birdshot for the birds. Just my observations and humble opinion.

Back