• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why did my magazine follower get stuck?

Hey guys,

Wanted to get your opinions on what caused my green follower that comes in the +2 magazine extension to get stuck in the receiver on my 590A1. I was doing some dry fire practice and I wasn't able to load any rounds in the magazine tube. I probably have 1000 live rounds and at least that many dummy rounds with the follower, and never experienced this before. I shot on Sunday, brought it home and cleaned it and have done dry fire practice this week. But today I literally had to unscrew the magazine tube from the receiver and take a small hammer and tap out the follower. Put it back together and it seems to be working fine, just like to know for future reference what happened. Thanks for your help guys!

It was hung up on the receiver end and not in the extension?

Yes it was stuck in the receiver and not the magazine tube. I took out the tube spring and tried to push the follower into the magazine with my thumb, but didn't have any luck.
Next I unscrewed the magazine tube and the follower was still stuck in the receiver. I than had to take out the trigger assembly and all of the other internals and tap the follower with a small hammer to get it out. It will probably never happen again, I hope not anyway.

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing. The follower shouldn't be able to get past the end of the magazine tube.

Is it the factory follower?

Me neither. It was strange, I was just doing some dry fire practice with some dummy rounds, and after about loading and cycling around 20 rounds I couldn't feed any in the magazine tube. It definitely had me scratching my head. No dirt was in their either, I keep my guns very clean.

I don't keep my guns very clean. I had the action hang up just once on one gun in the last 8 years. I was able to hold the forend and slam the butt on the ground to free it. But the follower is new to me.

Were you able to check the follower and tube for burrs or rough spots?

The follower is the green one that came with the J & C +2 extension. No rough spots or burrs that I could see. Only had the extension since the first part of June. It probably has a little over 1000 rounds through it.

I'm really stumped over this. I'm not familiar with the parts you mention but unless there's been excessive wear for some reason I don't understand why after so many rounds this would happen.

Is it a metal or poly follower? Have you noticed any shavings of any sort?

Left shell stop grabbing the follower? Is the follower scratched at all? If it is, then you probably have a burr.

Last edited:
Back