• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another blast from the past...

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I'm afraid some of these photos are pretty bad but I hope you enjoy them.

I don't have any history on this gun except that it was given to me in 1985 by a neighbor who had to move suddenly. All he knew was that someone else had given the gun to him in roughly this condition, several years before.

In my imagination, this is a kit gun like a CVA from maybe 1970, that somebody butchered in their attempt to assemble it, and then it was left to rust for many years, and further butchered by someone's attempt to disassemble it.

I suspect it may never have been fired, by the condition of the one stainless steel piece which will be evident in the photos.

The mainspring is missing as well as the backing plate for the lock work & I believe both are rattling around in my garage somewhere.

In any event, I don't have the desire to shoot this monstrosity, ever, but I thought someday I might fix it up well enough to hang on the wall.

I took lots of photos and most of them suck but these are maybe the best.

These files are large so I just posted thumbnails and you'll have to click on them.

20160822_075926.jpg 20160821_221106.jpg 20160822_082102.jpg 20160822_081835.jpg 20160822_081507.jpg 20160822_074438.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I believe this is a .45 cal, but I've never measured the bore.

I'm afraid some of these photos are pretty bad but I hope you enjoy them.

I don't have any history on this gun except that it was given to me in 1985 by a neighbor who had to move suddenly. All he knew was that someone else had given the gun to him in roughly this condition, several years before.

In my imagination, this is a kit gun like a CVA from maybe 1970, that somebody butchered in their attempt to assemble it, and then it was left to rust for many years, and further butchered by someone's attempt to disassemble it.

I suspect it may never have been fired, by the condition of the one stainless steel piece which will be evident in the photos.

The mainspring is missing as well as the backing plate for the lock work & I believe both are rattling around in my garage somewhere.

In any event, I don't have the desire to shoot this monstrosity, ever, but I thought someday I might fix it up well enough to hang on the wall.

I took lots of photos and most of them suck but these are maybe the best.

These files are large so I just posted thumbnails and you'll have to click on them.

View attachment 13143 View attachment 13145 View attachment 13146 View attachment 13147 View attachment 13148 View attachment 13149

Unless a used nipple was installed, this gun has been fired or dry fired many times, judging by how beat up the nipple is. They do get hammered up worse when dry firing. But also it looks like the lock is set back a bit too far and the hammer head is hitting the nipple all cockeyed.

Unless a used nipple was installed, this gun has been fired or dry fired many times, judging by how beat up the nipple is. They do get hammered up worse when dry firing. But also it looks like the lock is set back a bit too far and the hammer head is hitting the nipple all cockeyed.

He might've actually got it to fire. Judging by the quality of the work I can't imagine it was a pleasant experience.

Do you think it shot fire out the touch hole?

I'll bet that sucker would have rattled in his hand, hard, and scared the snot out of him.

But I got no clue. Nothing but guess work on my part.

He might've actually got it to fire. Judging by the quality of the work I can't imagine it was a pleasant experience.

Do you think it shot fire out the touch hole?

I'll bet that sucker would have rattled in his hand, hard, and scared the snot out of him.

But I got no clue. Nothing but guess work on my part.

Hard to say. If it was in the condition it is in now he never would have got a ball down the tube. By the looks of the gunk in the barrel it had been fired a few times and then not cleaned. But, who knows the history, huh? If it fired through the nipple it would have most likely blown off the nipple and part of the snail...in this case, the drum. If you can get the cleanout screw out you may be able to unload it if there is powder in it but it will be better to soak it in oil.

It is in half cock...that is why I mentioned to soak the barrel. Sometimes even if the cap is left off, people half cock the hammer for quick access to the nipple for capping and firing. That way it can be capped with one hand and cocked the rest of the way with the other. Also, half cock is a way to remind that the gun is loaded, and the person decided to leave it that way and shoot later. It is safer than leaving the cap on. If you run a dowel down and it stops above the area of the nipple about an inch or more, it is most likely loaded. Use caution!

Make sure there is no powder in it (compressed air through the fire hole?), re-install the trigger guard and display with the right side out--I wouldn't even bother fixing it...

Make sure there is no powder in it (compressed air through the fire hole?), re-install the trigger guard and display with the right side out--I wouldn't even bother fixing it...

With all the corrosion in the bore it would take a LOT of pressure to blow out a ball and powder. Easier to soak the whole thing and scrub the bore and if there is a ball in there you may be able to get a worm and pull it. But if you know you will never fire it and probably should not anyway, just clean the front part of the barrel so it looks kind of clean, soak the powder if there is any via the nipple or cleanout screw hole and then have fun cleaning it and restoring it. I would soak it in Evaporust and go from there.

I put a welding rod down the barrel. It hit steel and rust only, and it's empty.

The bore is rusty enough that you can't measure if it's a .44 or .45 with calipers.

Ever try to measure rust? :cool:

Thanks a million for your help and concern folks. Here's your reward: A few more crusty pics...
20160822_080602.jpg

20160824_114039.jpg 20160822_081139.jpg

20160821_185538.jpg

20160822_080625.jpg

The wood is so rough...like it was never finish sanded at all. I'll bet it'll show some flame when polished up slick. I just rubbed this spot with Tru-oil a bit.
20160822_080041.jpg

You cleaned off all that wonderful patina! :eek: ;) Heck, now you gotta just spray bomb it with a can of gold paint! :D

PS: IF you find the left side plate and/or some screws with washers to hold the lockwork on, clean the fire hole/nipple to see if it goes into the chamber. Might need a tiny drill bit then work your way up until the hole is clear. Then get a BP cap, dump a little bit of smokeless (or BP if you have it) down the barrel followed by a wad of some sort, point in safe direction (outside), pull the trigger and see if it coughs! :)

Last edited:
Patina? I thought that was dirt! :eek:

Yeah, good thing its not valuable.
Otherwise, I have no love of patina. If I hang it it'll be shiny.

But I have a lot of other things to work on before I get to this clunker.

Back in the 70s I started a project to build a .50 cal Hawken. I got tired and frustrated quickly and sold it for about half what I paid for it. I had not thought about that for decades until I saw these pictures.

I had to grow many years more patient to do such crafty stuff myself. As a young man I was too busy entertaining myself.

I know the feeling. Now I watch my kids do the same thing. Always scurrying around, never relaxing. Then one day we wake up and say to ourselves, where did the years go.

Sorry cad. I made all the pix larger before i read you made smaller...
But it looks good on my phone.

Nice lil fixer upper too....

Thank you Rip.

I have so many projects I don't know when I'll get to this one but as I am retiring in 8 mos, there will be more time to work on all my projects.

Back