• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg MVP Bolt Action Troubleshooting

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your mossberg mvp bolt action; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

I have recently purchased an MVP Predator. Have a problem though. The magazine (factory 10 rd & 20 rd AR mags) rock fore and aft when inserted into the mag well. If the mag rocks to the rear the mag stops the bolt from stripping a round. The pickup on the bolt contacts the magazine.

I called Mossberg & the person I talked to said he never heard of this & would send me a return address label to ship in for "repairs" So far nothing , he was blowing smoke. Been a month.

If this can be corrected the rifle will be perfect for my needs.

I would definitely call back and push for the label you were promised.

Ask for Javier Contreras. He's a CS supervisor and will see to it that you are taken care of and your issue is resolved. Good luck and keep us posted...

I just bought a new Patrol in 5.56 NATO. Same issue exactly with the mag - it rocks back and forth. Not conducive to feeling that feeding will be non-problematic. The demo model in the store did the same thing. I haven't had enough range time yet to see if it breaks in properly but two of of two first time tries, the rounds did not feed properly. Any Mossberg rep that denies knowing about this, I would have to wonder about. I will be looking for a replacement mag for sure - probably cheaper than shipping for repairs plus down time involved. Shoddy quality control that we should not have to be concerned with in a $700 rifle. The 4 x 4 hunter sells locally for $309 Canadian and the MVP is apparently based on this frame. Are we actually paying $400 (with UTG scope/flash suppressor/carbine barrel) just for the cool look?? On top of this there was no battery in the scope, no hex key for adjustments, and no scope manual. The sleeve on the stock is supposed to be a riser - but there is no under pad to do the rising so it is pointless. It is a neat little carbine and seems to be a shooter. To bad we have to be concerned about this other stuff. The dealer rep was very clear that for anything regarding the rifle, they don't want to hear it - supposed to deal with a Canadian Mossberg rep in Ontario. In process and we will see what happens.

Update. I tried two new, 10 round pistol mags in my MVP Patrol NATO - an LAR-15 and an AT-15. With both there was this back to front wiggle - just as with the stock mag. I went with the AT-15 - a bit longer than the LAR as it was designed to be easier to grab a hold of when changing mags.

It seems that we are hung with this rocking of the mag so it becomes what to do about it. I'm thinking of shimming either the back end of the mag of the back end of the mag well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2nd update. The AT-15 pistol mag does not work well with my MVP (inconsistent feed - jams) so went back and bought an LAR-15 pistol mag. The AT was non-returnable so it cost me $34 for no gain, although I can probably sell it. Two of two tries with the LAR and both times it cycled just fine. Just a tick bit loose back to front but this will get fixed with a coat or two of JB Weld on the back end to build it up to a tight fit. The Mossberg mag is engineered almost the same as the LAR but there are subtle differences with the feeding platform - particularly at the rear where the rounds are picked up by the bolt. These make the difference between feeding properly from the mag and not.

It's really to bad that Mossberg simply didn't use the LAR mag in the first place, or else didn't do a better job of engineering/quality control with their "own" mag. So another $32 out of packet, but at least I now have a 10 round mag that functions well.

U.S. users seem to be having no problems with the stock mag but in Canada, these mags have to be pinned to 5 rounds (by law). I have to wonder if, somehow, the pinning is interfering with the feed action.

I shimmed the back end of the stock mag with 3 pieces of black electrical tape to tighten it up. It did improve somewhat but feeding was still inconsistent (round jamming enroute to chamber or not picking up a round). Would I trust this rifle in the bush to feed rapidly if the need arose? At present and with the stock mag - no, I would not. Sad commentary after dropping $700 on a new rifle.

Last edited:
3rd update. Decided to work on the mag - put some up pressure on the lips, both front and back. Two gentle tweaks with pliers made a big difference. Put a layer of JB Weld on the back of the mag, left it overnight, and then sanded it down in increments until the mag fit snugly into the well, would click into place, and release as it should (needs a slight tug but this is o.k. - rather a snug fit than a sloppy one). The mag seems to be running fine now and it should improve with use.

When I got my 7.62 patrol (very recently) two 10rd Pmags were included in the deal. I found the original Mossberg mag to be of poor quality, causing the bolt to drag heavily across the brass and getting hung up before I could get the bolt all of the way back. The Pmags worked just fine, with very light dragging, but feed beautifully. So, I went to Academy and bought two more 10rd Pmags at less than $20 ea. I considered the 20 rounders' but they just seem a little excessive to me, for the design of the patrol. I never had a problem with the long mags in my M16, but it is designed quite differently. As for the rocking of the magazine in the mag well, I just figured that was part of how they make the rifle use so many different types and as long as the bolt picks up a round, feeds it into the chamber and it goes bang, without the magazine jamming or falling out, I am not going to worry over it. :cool:

I wish you luck with your endeavor.

Well I guess I will find out soon enough if there is any trouble with the Thunder Ranch version. I ordered a MVP Patrol Thunder Ranch 308 the other day, and I will report on it. I watched a video the other day called, Mossberg MVP .308 mag compatibility. Published on Jan 20, 2014, It was Interesting, well at least to me it was.
Watch the video here if you are interested.

I just received a MVP Patrol Thunder Ranch 308. I have not shot it yet, but I tell ya it seems kind of cheap. I cleaned it loaded a few magazines, Springfield M14/M1A Magazines to be specific, and two out of the three when cycling become unseated and dropped completely out of the firearm. Now for a firearm that is supposed to be designed around that particular magazine, I tell you I feel kind of sick.

I hate hearing that because I am interested in getting some M1A mags to try out. My Patrol 7.62 functioned flawlessly with Pmags, although the Mossberg mag that came with the rifle is crap. I have a 20 rounder and 4 ten round Pmags and I've been trying to catch Academy when they have them in stock to get some more 20's. Have you tried the Pmag? Or, the CS number? I have thought about sending my Patrol to Mossberg to see if they provided a properly manufactured bolt with the rifle because it seems a little rough around the edges for a rifle bolt.

These are Springfield mags that run flawlessly in a M1A. Sickens Me, did I say that already?

I had trouble with an aftermarket magazine latch which I installed in my MVP. Magpul magazines were held in place securely but 90% of my mil spec M14 magazines were not held securely. Upon careful examination I discovered that the problem was that the magazine latch (#36 on the exploded parts diagram in the owner's manual) was applying some pressure on the magazine retainer (#7 on the diagram), i.e. pressing on it so that it did not engage most magazines and just barely engaged a few. The solution was to open up the bend in the latch. In other words if it is supposed to be a 90 degree angle it was in fact something a bit less than 90 degrees. Bending the latch so that the included angle was a tiny bit larger means that the latch is no longer in contact with the retainer unless I press on it to release the magazine. Now all of my M-14 magazines are held securely. I hope this helps you.

I recently installed an aftermarket magazine latch and found that it would not retain about 90% of my mil-spec M14 mags. Upon careful examination I found that the latch (part #36 in the MVP exploded parts diagram) was applying pressure on the magazine retainer (part #7 in the diagram). That was because the latch was not quite the right shape. Instead of a 90 degree angle, it had a bit less than 90 degrees. The solution was to open up the angle just a bit by bending it outwards so that the latch no longer contacted the retainer except when I press on the latch to release a magazine. You can see this easily if you have the whole magazine guide assembly out of the gun. It is a simple fix and I hope this takes care of your problem.

So I just recently picked up an MVP Patrol 5.56. A couple of issues worth reporting.. First is Mag wobble.. very very sloppy magazine.. it moves so much that in any situation other then sitting at a bench you run the risk of moving the magazine and causing a FTF. My first time out with the rifle the bolt was very rough and not smooth at all, however with shooting and over time that problem seems to have resolved itself. Lastly and most importantly.. this rifle shoots 2-3+ MOA at 100 yards.

I was able to rectify the mag wobble issue with a Tromix aluminum magazine well and everything locks up great..
The Accuracy issue however is not acceptable. I have tried shooting several makes and weights.. Privi 55, Privi 62, Federal 55, Federal 62gr all of it 5.56.
I thought the issue may have been the scope or mount.. I swapped the setup onto a colt m4 LE6920 and was able to knock out a nickle sized group so not the scope or mount.

All of my shooting so far has been from a sight in rest.. so its secured...

It's off to Mossberg for repair after their reps are telling me it should be averaging 1 MOA @ 100 Yards.

I want to like this rifle and it handles well and bolt issue smoothed up.. but the accuracy issue is a no go.

See attached pictures.. of setup and my last 3 shot group prior to it being sent to Mossberg.

Optimized-20170813_134541.jpg Optimized-20170813_135704.jpg

So I just recently picked up an MVP Patrol 5.56. A couple of issues worth reporting.. First is Mag wobble.. very very sloppy magazine.. it moves so much that in any situation other then sitting at a bench you run the risk of moving the magazine and causing a FTF. My first time out with the rifle the bolt was very rough and not smooth at all, however with shooting and over time that problem seems to have resolved itself. Lastly and most importantly.. this rifle shoots 2-3+ MOA at 100 yards.

I was able to rectify the mag wobble issue with a Tromix aluminum magazine well and everything locks up great..
The Accuracy issue however is not acceptable. I have tried shooting several makes and weights.. Privi 55, Privi 62, Federal 55, Federal 62gr all of it 5.56.
I thought the issue may have been the scope or mount.. I swapped the setup onto a colt m4 LE6920 and was able to knock out a nickle sized group so not the scope or mount.

All of my shooting so far has been from a sight in rest.. so its secured...

It's off to Mossberg for repair after their reps are telling me it should be averaging 1 MOA @ 100 Yards.

I want to like this rifle and it handles well and bolt issue smoothed up.. but the accuracy issue is a no go.

See attached pictures.. of setup and my last 3 shot group prior to it being sent to Mossberg.

View attachment 16594 View attachment 16595

What you're showing is consistent with what I have been experiencing with 5.56 NATO. Before you write off the gun you really should try .223 Remington ammo. I've had MOA and Sub MOA 5 shot groups with Hornady VMax in 50-55gr at both 100 and 200 yards, The hunting load from Barnes 62 gr TSX was also a clover leaf at 100 yards.

What you're showing is consistent with what I have been experiencing with 5.56 NATO. Before you write off the gun you really should try .223 Remington ammo. I've had MOA and Sub MOA 5 shot groups with Hornady VMax in 50-55gr at both 100 and 200 yards, The hunting load from Barnes 62 gr TSX was also a clover leaf at 100 yards.

When I get the rifle back I will give it a go. However that defeats one of the buying points of this rifle.. a 5.56 bolt rifle. When I explained to the Mossberg rep my findings I was told it was not the norm.

Update almost 2 months later and the rifle is on its way back to me..
I'll sum it up nothing was done to the rifle by Mossberg as apparently it passed all their tests.

I'll add a snippet from the latest email correspondence.

Good morning Robert,
I was able to have the service mount a scope, test fire the gun again, and myself and the engineering department have reviewed the target. The rifle was tested with 5.56 55 grain rounds and the results produced very good grouping. With 1" groupings at 50 yards you would logically expect 2" grouping at 100 yards, but 5.56 ammunition is typically not very accurate ammunition and without the engineering department knowing the exact specifications of the ammunition you were using it would be hard to say the expected accuracy with these individual brands and grains.

Take note of the line about 5.56 ammunition not being very accurate.. this gave me a chuckle.. Good luck with Mossberg folks..

My options are pretty limited.. Mossberg had the rifle longer then I have owned it.. going back to the retailer 90 days after purchase to return is a no-go already asked..

Last edited:
Back