• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Patriot in 7mm-08

Been looking at a new 7mm-08 rifle. Had a NEF Handi in that caliber. Seen a wood Patriot and knew that is what I wanted. Looked at Ruger and Savage but wanted the wood stock. Finnaly found one at Wilderness Fish and Game in Sauk City,WI yesterday. Putting a Bushnell 3x9x40 dusk to dawn on it. Will post a pic and range results in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Took my Patriot out shooting today. Friend has a 50 yard range we used. Hornady Whitetails were awesome. At 50 yds. sighted it in at 2" high. Should be minute of deer for sure. Would recommend the Patriot as a good shooting deer rifle at a fair price.

These rifles are inexpensive and very accurate for the most part and will serve you well. They are working guns not show pieces. When I got mine in 375 Ruger I joined a couple different forums in order to get reloading information and found that the threads would go cold as soon as others found out that I had a Mossberg. I guess they didn't want to talk about guns costing less than a $1000.
To bad for them I have less than $700 in mine with scope new talley mounts and dies powder primers and bullets and shooting as small or smaller groups than rifles costing 3x as much.
I guess I'll just shoot more with the cash saved.
I tell everyone that is in the market that the patriot is a great deal that will hold its own at the range.
If they don't believe I let it go as their loss.

I'm happy to hear of another satisfied customer.
Shawn

My brother and I had a little shooting competition Sunday. His Browning a-bolt medallion with leupold score against me and my patriot with vortex scope. Ended in a tie with neither one of us missing after 5 shots at 125yds. We were shooting at the small 6oz coke cans. Patriot is a $400 rifle with $800 accuracy

Done some shooting Sunday too I have noticed that my rifle throws first shot out of clean bore but then the more I shoot the better it groups so now it will not be cleaned until after hunting season ends.
Good luck and straight shooting.
Shawn

I have a 3x9x40 Bushnell on my Patriot. Too many layers of clothing and I cannot get the eye relief right. Looking at a Vortex Crossfire II that has more eye relief. Any body have one of these and how do you like it.

If you want eye relief that's the scope to get, it has plenty. I have one on my Ruger American 7mm-08. I like it more than the Vortex Diamondback I put on my patriot. It's clear, tracks well and holds a zero

They actually use 2 scopes for their combos. One no name (which is actually a fairly decent scope) and the higher end ones have the crossfire ii

Mine came with the "no name" & I've had a couple of folks that have looked at it tell me they were pretty sure it's a Vortex. IDK what it is but it is pretty clear & has held zero so far so I'm not complaining. Like breeze said I believe it's a "fairly decent" scope, time will tell I guess.

Ordered a Vortex Crossfire II through Cabelas. On sale for $100.00. Ordered on line and payed with Cabelas card and got free shipping and another 10% off. Also had $4.85 worth of rewards. Put cost of scope $90.00 to my door. Cant wait to get it.

7mm-08.jpg Got my Vortex CrossfireII 3x9x50 mounted today. Had to use extra high rings as the high Weavers barely cleared between the bell and barrel. Nice eye relief and clear. Neighbor has a pine tree about 200 yds away and can see the pine cones. Hope to get some nice weather and test it out.

Last edited:
2017 season complete. Set myself up with 3 different brands of ammo. Federal Fusion, Winchester and Hornady Whitetail. At 75 yds the Hornady was shooting a 2" group 1" high. Decided to leave well enough alone. Dropped a 7 point at 100yds last Sun. Dead on double lung. Spent the rest of the week carrying the gun around the woods looking for a doe. If anyone would ask me for a recommendation on the Mossberg Patriot I would give it a 2 thumbs up. Awesome shooting and handles great also. May take it out coyote hunting later.

I have the synthetic patriot with the dead ringer scope in 6.5 creedmore it shoots 1moa. I purchased a Nikon on Black Friday 3-9 x40 for it. Not sure wether I swap it out or wait until the scope goes south...

Back