• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Roto rack

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I've had a hankering to make one of those rotating gun racks somewhat like a lazy susan for quite some time now because I think they're a pretty good idea, and have finally gotten a start on it.

In knowing that it wont' be too long off having another child raised and leaving the nest soon, and there has already been some talk between me and my wife when there will be an unused bedroom that we plan to make a storage room, and this little project will save me a lot of space in there.

This will open up space in other rooms and perhaps even enough to make a hallway closet for my wife to keep whatever her heart desires. She's always complaining about not having enough storage as it is, so I'd like to help with that when I can.

As for the "roto rack" as I call it, no way am I going to pay a hundred and a half dollars for a similar design when I can build one myself for a fraction of what they're selling for.

I still don't have the bottom of it routered for the stocks to sit or the top of it shaped to hold the barrels yet, but this should give you an idea of what I have in mind. It will hold 16 rifles in the physical space that I could store half as many. Not that I have that many airsoft or BB guns to fill it up yet.

JT 10 bday 036.JPG

JT 10 bday 038.JPG

Whoever thought of it needs a silver star sticker or cookie.

Here's one that I saw that started the whole thing.

Except his is a whole gun cabinet, whereas mine will not be prominently displayed, but it turned out really well.

Here's the finished cabinet, but he also has a few parts filmed of the making of it.

There are a couple of those in a Walmart in Sanford, FL, near me. Thick clear plastic display case with a "wheel" sticking out of a slot on top from which to rotate the long guns. I think they hold 10-12 or so...

Fooled around with it for a little while after supper.

Cut the notches in the top for the barrels, and I routered the base to hold the stocks.

Still need to sand, stain and poly, but that will be a project for a rainy day.

I also have an idea to cover up the ugly screw holes in top of the stand too because they're bugging me to death.

I'll get a 4x4 or 6x6" ceramic tile with artwork that appeals to me and will countersink it in the center of the top over where the screw holes are and glue it in place with liquid nails. There are only so many options I can think of to hide the screws, but that would certainly do it.

roto rack and bathroom 009.JPG

roto rack and bathroom 010.JPG

John, what if you made a small felt lined box/tray to put in the center to cover the screws.

Fooled around with it for a little while after supper.

Cut the notches in the top for the barrels, and I routered the base to hold the stocks.

Still need to sand, stain and poly, but that will be a project for a rainy day.

I also have an idea to cover up the ugly screw holes in top of the stand too because they're bugging me to death.

I'll get a 4x4 or 6x6" ceramic tile with artwork that appeals to me and will countersink it in the center of the top over where the screw holes are and glue it in place with liquid nails. There are only so many options I can think of to hide the screws, but that would certainly do it.

View attachment 13394

View attachment 13395

It seems as though it would be a lil hard to remove the gun quickly with the closed edge top. the guy in the video had a good idea of using straps to hold em in...

I had considered making the top of the rack open so they'd be easy to get out.

But then I remembered that God blessed me with sons and when they're excited and ready to go hunting, they'd be slinging it around like a merry go round until they got to the one they were wanting to use like they're spinning the wheel of fortune or something. I picture in my head guns flinging out everywhere . And was the reason why I decided to make it a little more secure.

I also don't know where I would get the button tabs to screw in either.

As for the little box on top, that's a pretty good idea, but once the rack was full and barrels were leaned in from the entire circumference of the stand toward the center, would make it awkward to access a box or anything in the middle.

A tray might work though. Would be a good place to store paperwork or a mag or two.

Well DUH !!!

Don't know why I didn't think of looking there.

I'm such a dunce sometimes LOL

Thanks for the link.

Ironically, I had just ordered a decorative 6x6" ceramic tile to cover the screw holes from amazon last night. I'm going to inset it into the center of the top piece of the rack so it's flush, or perhaps only slightly raised above flush.

I think it's pretty. (sorry if my geek is showing)

31wlj7gTG2L.jpg

I had considered this one and still like it a lot, but I don't like ordering from overseas and importing anything. Too much time and hassle.

ceramic tile.PNG

I like the indian. Could you do wood burning of just the phrase? That would be special...

I learned from my Dad, who in my opinion was a master craftsman, though my projects pale in comparison to what he could do with the same piece of wood.

He's built houses, churches, furniture, crafts, major restorations, you name it. He could do it.

Finished the pecan stain Friday and last coat of poly yesterday evening. Turned out alright for my humble use.

atacs%20004_zps2l5yxxlp.jpg

A fellow who can fill that rack with nice rifles probably has little to be humble about, John.

I can't fill it up.

There's a lot of room to grow. And some of the collection are heirloom guns that have been passed down more than once. Those are the guns that I would scrap over.

Back