• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500/500a chamber/receiver question

George03241

Copper BB
I will be picking up a 500A w/o serial number, presumably made prior to 68. The barrel is a 28" fixed MC. It says it is for 2.75" only. I have two 500's and an assortment of barrels, all of which are for more modern production 500's. Is there anything about the receiver that would preclude using a barrel chambered for 2.75" and 3" shells and using 3" shells (turkey)? This gun will get a camo finish and will be a field gun for waterfowl, turkey and deer hunting. (I have a slug barrel, but don't plan to use anything other than 2.75" shells.)

Not sure off hand. Are the ejections cutouts the same on all of the receivers? If it is only the barrel's limitation and there were other barrels made for that receiver that would allow 3" shells I think you would be good to go. I am not that familiar with the older models and whether or not there is something inherent in the receiver that may cause safety issues with this.

Not sure off hand. Are the ejections cutouts the same on all of the receivers? If it is only the barrel's limitation and there were other barrels made for that receiver that would allow 3" shells I think you would be good to go. I am not that familiar with the older models and whether or not there is something inherent in the receiver that may cause safety issues with this.
Mike... Thanks! I can't compare this model to my modern 500's. I will pick it up today. The bgd check system was down Saturday> I will post what I find. I have also asked the same question of the factory.

I have picked up the gun yesterday. All of the 500 barrels fit the receiver. The gun has the single action bar where the modern guns have a double bar. So the receiver is different in that it can only accommodate a single bar, which has been repaired. The only downside I can see to this is there appear to be no replacements for the bar. As far as I can tell the gun was produced 1961 to 1967. It also has engine turning on the bolt. Test firing looks good and patterns well with #7.5 trap loads in the 28 fixed MC. I wonder if anyone has seen the engine turning on the bolt? It appears as though it might be stamped on not machine cut. I will post some photos soon.

If you need parts check out http://havlinsales.com/ they carry a lot of older Mossberg parts. Sorry I didn't think of it earlier but they would also be good people to talk too about your receiver, they are very knowledgeable when it comes to Mossbergs

Here are some photos.

Attachments

• 20160928_123257_resized.jpg
    20160928_123257_resized.jpg
    756.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20160928_123335_resized (002).jpg
    20160928_123335_resized (002).jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20160928_123502_resized (002).jpg
    20160928_123502_resized (002).jpg
    977 KB · Views: 15
  • 20160928_123558_resized (002).jpg
    20160928_123558_resized (002).jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 14
I have picked up the gun yesterday. All of the 500 barrels fit the receiver. The gun has the single action bar where the modern guns have a double bar. So the receiver is different in that it can only accommodate a single bar, which has been repaired. The only downside I can see to this is there appear to be no replacements for the bar. As far as I can tell the gun was produced 1961 to 1967. It also has engine turning on the bolt. Test firing looks good and patterns well with #7.5 trap loads in the 28 fixed MC. I wonder if anyone has seen the engine turning on the bolt? It appears as though it might be stamped on not machine cut. I will post some photos soon.

As for the one arm,,,,,
Single Arm Action Slide Tube Assemblies: Early production Model 500 shotguns utilize an action slide tube assy. (forend tube assembly.) with a tube length of 7-¾" and a single action arm. This tube assembly is obsolete. A twin bar action slide assembly with a tube of the appropriate length may be used as a replacement for the obsolete single arm action slide assembly. If both the action slide tube assembly and the forearm are being replaced, they may be replaced with either 7-¾" or 6-¾" action tube assemblies and matching forearms as available.

Like MikeD mentioned you might want to call Havlin about drilling out the receiver for the double arm.
cut out not.jpg
cut out.jpg

As for the bolt,,,,it's called a "jeweld" bolt.Mossberg uses them on different models,just a fancy engraving.

Old Mossy...Thanks for the info. I did not even think of having the receiver machined to accept the double arm slide. That is good to know.

No problem.

I don't know how you feel about drilling the aluminum receiver,it's not that big a deal.Just strip the gun down and copy the size hole on the other side.

***,,,,,after doing a little more research you might want to just replace the single arm unit.

Not sure if the inside of the receiver needs to be machined???

Ask Havlin about that also.

Last edited:
Back