• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.410 on paper....

Elbert Garrett

.30-06
Supporter
I used my Mossberg .410 gauge model 500 Cruiser with a 18 1/2" barrel.....I fired these shots from `14. The PDX1 is a waste of money, I`m thinking it`s fits into that gimmicky ammo family. The Super-X 000 always performs well for me but pricey compared to Hornady`s CD, both hit the paper with a nice spread from `14 making a bad day for the bad guy.

xJsBavw.jpg

Hornady Critical Defense - 20 Rounds for $15.75 or about .78 cents and shell.

Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 - 10 Rounds for $14.75 or $1.47 per shell.

Winchester Super-X - 2-1/2" 000 Buckshot - 5 Rounds for $6.75 or about $1.35 per shell

wv19WPL.jpg

Price quotes from Lucky Gunner
http://www.luckygunner.com/

I'll add that the critical defense load with the FTX flex tip slug is likely most intended for the small rifled barrels of the .410 Taurus Judge. Even then I'm not certain how well the short rifling stabilizes the slug but if I'm understanding the load correctly, the first round ball tucks in to the cavity behind the slug something similar to the Federal Truball.

I too like the Winchester, nice work!

I'll add that the critical defense load with the FTX flex tip slug is likely most intended for the small rifled barrels of the .410 Taurus Judge. Even then I'm not certain how well the short rifling stabilizes the slug but if I'm understanding the load correctly, the first round ball tucks in to the cavity behind the slug something similar to the Federal Truball.

I too like the Winchester, nice work!

I think you are correct!

I was able to recover that slug after it plowed through about 5" of my backstop....I`m not getting the spread out of that slug that I was expecting but that .41 cal and the two .35 cal rounds cut an impressive hole.

I agree with you and Nitesite, I prefer the Winchester 000 and I`ll be testing their 1/5 oz slugs when I replace the pistol grip with a butt stock.

MiEf2l2.jpg

I picked up a box of that Federal 2-1/2" 4 pellet 000 buckshot and ran it against the Winchester 2-1/2" 3 pellet 000. Winchester on the left `14 and `21 and Federal on the right from `14 and `21.

4nAoiD0.jpg

Ka7zWL7.jpg

Last edited:
When my daughter had the .410, we never saw any of the Winchester on shelves. In fact, around here, any of the buckshot loads were hard to find most of the time.

When my daughter had the .410, we never saw any of the Winchester on shelves. In fact, around here, any of the buckshot loads were hard to find most of the time.

Around here it`s hit and miss, Academy carries Wichester in 3" in 000 and 4 shot and they carry Wichester slugs but recently discontinued 2 1/2". I haven`t checked Gander Mt in awhile to see what they have.....Wal Mart had slugs and 000 in 2 1/2", and I`m in there once a week so I`ll be buying a few boxes each time......

Back