• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is there anyone hunting out there?

The season seems off to a decent start looking at the pictures in this post.

I had to laugh this morning. The local deer must know I'm only an Upland Game hunter because two fawns with light spots and a big momma just walked out of the woods behind my house. They got a drink of water from the birdbath the wife keeps filled even in cold weather and then slowly walked back towards the woods.

I'll just wait for you modern gun deer hunters to finish for the season then I'll get out there walking more while chasing little critters.

Be safe.

Good going Mike! Meat for the freezer!
Have you ever made breakfast sausage? I have a great recipe I can post, if you or anyone else is interested?

Good going Mike! Meat for the freezer!
Have you ever made breakfast sausage? I have a great recipe I can post, if you or anyone else is interested?
Post it up!!

I'm interested in the recipe too hock.

guys I got this from an old farmer upstate new york that with a couple changes later, started out as his fathers recipe. I always keep 10 lbs in the freezer cause when ever my daughters come home they take a 5lb sleeve as they love it! I make patties, but wish I could make links, but it takes two people to make good links with my grinder, and its just me, myself, and I in my house.
Enjoy it and let me know what you think

3lbs pork butt or the cheapest 3lbs of pig they have
2lbs ven
1lbs pork fat
3 TBL salt
1/2 TBL black pepper
3/4 TBL sage
1/2 TBL nutmeg
1/2 TBL tyme
5/8 TBL fennel
1/2 tsp ginger

Sounds good.

If I get a deer this year, I'd like to try it.

Besides, I like patties better than links anyway.

That is why I bought an elec grinder. Still takes a hand to feed it but makes it easier.

The cheapest one that had at Gander Mtn is still going strong after double grinding 5 or 6 deer and several usages as a sausage stuffer. I keep expecting it to burn up but it keeps on chugging along.

Mike I have a kitchen aid blender with a grinder attachment and sausage stuffer (which I won in a coin toss when my ex and I were splitting up our stuff Ha Ha too bad so sad) and it really is still quite difficult to feed and get a properly filled casing.

I've been out hunting but only had some real close encounters with 4 deer. Two nice bucks and two does. The does and one buck were so close that had I moved they would have been gone in a second. The other buck was close but moving quickly through lots of trees and I didn't have the presence of mind to grunt him to a stop...Oh well...I guess I know where da big bucks are!

That's a really fantastic looking trophy buck in my territory.

Congratulations.

My deer season finished for me this last Friday. The 2nd year straight that I didn't get anything.

That's a really fantastic looking trophy buck in my territory.

Congratulations.

My deer season finished for me this last Friday. The 2nd year straight that I didn't get anything.
Bummer John.

Our bow gun.season ends Nov 30. Archery them picks jp again and runs til Jan 1. We also have a muzzleloading and late firearm deer that overlap in there as well.

I definitely can't complain about the season lengths here. I hunted for 10 hears before I got my first and another ten before I got my second. I feel lucky as heck to have access to the property I now hunt. I know it could change at any time.

There were several other guys hunting there when I came on board and most of them are now gone. The property owners son has taken over the managment of the property and has kicked off several long timers that were hunting spots he saw as prime and wanted to hunt himself. I'm the only one hunting the open field and no one else wants to hunt it so my spot has been safe so far. Its actually a much better spring turkey location than fall deer blind.

I'm not going to complain. While I didn't get a deer, I had some really great times hunting this year. I'm getting a lot of photos' of deer, we just couldn't cross paths this time. That's why they call it hunting. That's life.

It's still been a really good year.

My youngest son went with me several times with the Xbow, we got to see a lot of neat things, a flock of turkeys came within 15 yards of us TWICE, we listened to a bald eagle screech, and even saw a glimpse of something last Friday that I don't know what it was. It was 4 legged, large, grey, and had it not been for the sun shining in just the right place at the right time, I wouldn't have even seen the glimpse of it that I did see. I'm not certain whether it was a wolf or a REALLY big coyote. Or maybe even something else, but it was big and the movements that it was making would remind you of a cautious deer. Take a step and stop. Take a step and stop. It was about 75 yards away and a lot of brush between me and it and I only saw it for maybe 15 or 20 seconds before it dropped over the hill out of sight.

But nevertheless, I'm thankful that I was blessed being able to be out there at all. It's always good for my soul to get back to where I know I should be.

But, we've accomplished a lot this year. Fixed our cabin back up, gotten to camp in it several times, and even did some updating by adding solar power to it. We worked and cleared a trail for the ATV to get up there and a shooting lane to correspond with where we put the solar panel. It's taken a lot of thought and work, but it's home away from home now. It may not be all fancy by some standards, but a 12 foot square cabin is a lot nicer and easier to hunt from than a ground blind made of a 5x8 foot piece of burlap. I'll take that any day. Especially in cold weather and keeping the wind off of you.

Mike congrats to your nephew, and its fantastic to see everyone having a good time.
I always say its about the time and not the take! Its good to be with family and friends experiencing the great outdoors and just getting back to basics.
Everyone one Have a fabulous Thanksgiving
And God Bless America

Went duck hunting this morning at a dairy farm about an hour from my house. Two old friends, two new ones, 3 guys on the guide team an myself made 8 hunters.

Between a half hour before sunrise and 9 or 9:30, we had bagged our limit of 48 Gadwalls. The guides gave up their take, so I got to take 12 birds home (Texas' possession limit is 3 times the daily limit of 6 birds). The breasts are soaking in brine right now.

I mounted a Burris Fastfire 3 on my 500 Mossy Oak Break Up and it became a duck slayer. All I had to do was put the red dot on a bird and pull the trigger. Most of the ones I hit just flipped over on their back and didn't seem to move all the way down. Dang it's a fast setup!

IMG_0077_zpsjft31uc5.jpg

Edit: That's my ugly mug, dead center.

Nice take! I went duck a couple times out on long Island NY and took a few birds, but I will say that was some cold hunting!!!

Nice take! I went duck a couple times out on long Island NY and took a few birds, but I will say that was some cold hunting!!!

Thanks!

Just before I walked out the door my wife said, "Have fun!". I responded, "I hope it's cold and miserable." She looked at me like I had two heads and asked, "Why?" "Because that's good duck hunting weather!"

It wasn't cold yesterday, just cool. In fact, when we first got there it was too warm to zip up my hunting jacket. I wound up taking it off because I kept getting the stock hung up in it. However the temperature kept falling while we were there and did end up a bit chilly, so I put it back on and zipped up.

I have had the entire week between Christmas and New Years off but due to family in from out of town I did not get out as much as I would have liked. I made it out for a few hours on the 30th and saw several deer but non were close enough to get a shot at.

I made it back out on the the 1st, the last day of our deer season here in MI. I was hunting with my new CVA Optima trying to fill my doe tag. Our late antlerless season ran until Jan 1 and allows gun or bow. I had bought the Optima during a New Years sale last year and this is the first season I have hunted with it and the first deer I have shot with it.

Rather than walk the edge of the field to get to my blind as I normally do, I elected to walk the woods, the property I traverse to get to my blind does not allow hunting in Sunday (property owners rule) so I knew no one else would be out there. He does not care if I use his property to get to my blind as long as I do not "hunt" on his land. I am grateful to be able to access my blind from the backside without having to cross the entire field so I happily comply.

It was a beautiful day, sun shining and close to 40 degrees.

20170101_151947_1_zps2qlhvmbb.jpg

20170101_151940_1_zpssui3c9q3.jpg

I had not been in the blind for 30 minutes when I notices some specs on the other side of the field.

20170101_155207_1_zpsgyrgqshe.jpg

Took this shot through my Vortex binoc's. They were out about 360 yards. I watched them for quite a while and even give them a couple bleats from the can call I carry with me. They either did not hear it or just were too occupied with eating to care. It had no effect on them.

About a half hour later I thought I heard some crunching behind me. I looked out the corner of my window but could not see anything so I thought it may have been a squirrel. About 10 minutes later I see two does come from my left and work their way out in front of me. I watched them for a while and even snapped a picture.

20170101_160303_1_zpsqkwprihk.jpg

Neither were a huge deer but the deer on the right stood several inches taller than the one on the left. I watched them for a long time. I kept hoping more deer would come out. I checked my watch, realized that I only had about an hour left in the season so decided to take the larger of the two. In the excitement I failed to get the muzzle fully outside the window....those muzzleloaders are quite loud.

She ran a big arc across the field and went down on the other side. I texted my buddie who said he would meet me at my truck and then I packed up and worked my way back out. She fell about 100 yards from the access drive the farmer uses to access the field so we were able to drive right out to her and pick her up. She was not a big deer, even a little smaller than I thought, but she will be good eating.

I hung her in the garage last night and already have her skinned and quartered this morning.

It has been a great season. I might not have made it out as much as I would have liked but I have seen a lot of deer including some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in the woods. I was lucky enough to be able to tag two deer in one season, a personal first for me if you do not include the one I hit with my truck, and I made some great memories. My 2016 seasons are done, bring on 2017!!

I haven't hunted sense 06 because of a collarbone issue. I won't bore you with that. But for the past 3 years I've been working my food plot, just trying to make a stronger deer herd. I set out turnips in the late summer/early fall and in the spring I spit up my field in soybeans and sweet corn.

Back