• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Switching ghost ring sights - height question

Spanky

Hello all. I've been thinking lately that I'd like to switch over to the XS style sights due to the rear mount having the rail and I'm liking the idea of a red dot more and more (got one on my rifle) but still want backup sights since my shotgun is a user, not a safe queen.

I currently have a 590 with the Mossberg ghost ring sights, with the front swapped for a Meprolight tritium sight (waste of money in my opinion). I'm wondering if the Mossberg and XS sights are the same height above the bore or if I'd basically have to get a new barrel with the XS sight ramp/dovetail.

Is there anyone here with the XS sights that can offer up the height above for the front & rear sights? For the rear, measure the center of the circle to the top of the receiver and for the front, measure above the top of the barrel to center of the dot/post.

Thanks!

*EDIT*
I realized again why I hadn't pursued this. XS wants $160 for the sight set. Forget that noise. Now I'm thinking of getting a receiver-mounted rail and (hopefully) finding a rear ghost ring to match the height of the front. If anyone has ideas on this, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Last edited:
So you're saying you currently do not have the receiver rail?

How about a couple photos?

There are options, none are cheap. How will you be using your shotgun? You say it's a "user", how so? We may be able to come up with something that fits.

http://www.officer.com/press_releas...s-mossberg500-590-590a-and-930-model-shotguns

You could measure your front sight then add up the rail plus rear GRS compared to what you have on the rear now then shop for a taller front sight blade.

There are other rails available from AIMPRO Tactical and Vang Comp that are a one piece rail and rear GRS which will keep the height down.

http://aimprotactical.com/aimpro_tactical_ghost_ring_sight_in_a_rail.htm

https://vangcomp.com/shop/vang-comp-ghost-ring-sights/

Both the links above will show a front/rear combo set but it may be possible to get just the one piece rear but contact the manufactures first and ask for height and adjustment to compare with your current rear ring.

Another option is to remove the rear you have, purchase the rail and red dot you want, and keep tool and the parts in your pack. If you have to switch while in use, you're gonna need tools anyway. Find a nice little pouch to keep either the rear aperature or red dot.

For what it's worth, my rifle has irons. I also have a scope mounted to rings that are not quick detach. I pack it out there usually without tools to swap it. Heck, most rifles don't have back up irons unless it's an AR and philosophy is changing on those too as optics aren't inclined to fail. Worst cases are that batteries need replaced. Many people using ARs to hunt are mounting traditional scopes without back up irons. Me, if I'm out looking for varmints, I take my rifle and shotgun to the stand.

Back