• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bug-out Vehicles (BOV's)

Depending on the reason for bugging out, a boat might actually be more useful where we are. In case of large scale evac or earthquake....we are bottlenecked by bridges. You cannot escape this metro area (very large) without crossing a bridge.

I know of one fella who's BOV is his boat. We have a standing offer to hop on but hooking up during a disaster may be next to impossible.

I would love to have a dedicated BOV...like a deuce and a half parked in the backyard that you fire up and mow down the fence on your way out!! LOL!

I was just teasing about the water of course, since we live in the desert and it's been a drought here for the past 5 years.

There was barely enough water to float my little boat 'til El Ninno hit this year.

I just posted that photo because I think it looks cool with that 40hp engine on the back of my tiny little boat; and the fisheye lens effect that makes it look even bigger

If the time comes I am bugging out to a lake we go to. Lots of boats with generators, fuel, and propane grills. Then of course there is a lake full of water and fish. We have a condo/cabin that we keep stocked pretty well.

If and when I repair the Scout it's just basically going to be a "go shooting" rig. I'll probably paint it camouflage green & so forth..

I have the little trailer Dad built to pull behind it too.

Deuce and a half? Runs on kerosene, alcohol, oil, gas, diesel, anything that burns?

I would love to have one. They aren't road legal in Canada unfortunately due to the air over hydraulic brakes.
They are road legal if you have the tandem axle cut down to make it single axle (seen some advertised for sale) or go get a Class 3 license w/air brakes and off you go.

I have a Class 1 (semi-trailer + any damn thing else I want to drive) so deuce and a half...full tandem axle, air brakes, trailer, kitchen sink, etc etc...we're good to go! Just need to find one in good shape for a decent price. I know there's quite a few south of the line but it's military equipment...I think there's issues with import. But they can be found here.

I dont know the exact economy but a 2.5 ton truck takes a lot of fuel to run.

I drove a lighter bobtail truck and that was lucky to get 6 or 7 mpg at 60 mph on the paved highway. It carried about 94 gals. You could get 3 mpg climbing the mountain with a load..

You'd need to sacrifice payload capacity to carry fuel or have some hidden fuel dumps to get far in one.

But it can take a bullet.

Was a little too hard on the BOV this weekend.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I hit a very sharp rock (boulder) rallying in Utah's West desert.

The real bad news: AAA flat out refused to tow me. So I had to find a guy that would pick me up "off road." $450 tow to my house.
Better news: I will be reimbursed $350 of that from AAA.

At this point adding air to the tires would give you the best bang for your buck.
Haha, those tires were shredded. The other two are in good shape, though, and I will only rally again with 1 full-sized spare and the donut.
It wouldn't have mattered in this case though; I bent the tie rod, sway arm and rod, and control arm. Also fried the bearing. The dudes at the shop were amazed: "Bro, you must have been having fun, awesome to see a car used like this."
They underestimated my stupidity.

May not be a vehicle per say but hopping into a canoe in my area could give you lots of opportunities for relatively undisturbed quiet travel through suburban and "rural" areas. Plenty of rivers in the rust belt lay forgotten and overgrown with limited access points and large enough flood plains that don't see much human activity. May not be a long term solution depending on the reason for bugging out but it wouldn't be tearing around in a big noisy box.

May not be a vehicle per say but hopping into a canoe in my area could give you lots of opportunities for relatively undisturbed quiet travel through suburban and "rural" areas. Plenty of rivers in the rust belt lay forgotten and overgrown with limited access points and large enough flood plains that don't see much human activity. May not be a long term solution depending on the reason for bugging out but it wouldn't be tearing around in a big noisy box.

Stealthy.

Stealth indeed. If reasonable I would much rather rely on tortoise tactics than be a hare through hostile territory.

Back