• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rust???

Copper BB
New to these forums. I currently own 3 Mossberg rifles... a 7WSM blue/syn 4X4, Patriot 375 Ruger Marine/syn and Patriot 300 Win blue/Kryp. These rifles are growing on me despite being budget guns. Clearly the Patriot is well thought out as a hunting rifle.

My concern on the blued rifles... while I do like the looks of the flat/matte black finish, is it a rust magnet? That overnight in hunting camp surface rust will develop? Or is the bluing better than I think... or will daily oiling in the field prevent rusting?

What I like about the Mossberg rifles is they seem so Utilitarian and functional at great pricing. I also like not having to really change anything, like the trigger or recoil pad... For me looks come second and more important is that they go bang out in the field. So even if their bluing tends to rust easy, I'll just touch up with a Rust spray paint, even liking that used battle look.

I suppose I'll find out quick enough on the rust, as I hunt rainy Washington State. But if you know... yes they rust quick please share... then I'll just give them a light coat of paint now.

Back