• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Beta testing new Scorpion mags- PGS/Manticore

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I get the privilege to do some early beta testing of the new Manticore Arms / Prepper Gun Shop metal feedlip magazines. They were announced just a little before 2017 Shot Show, and should be shipping from Prepper gun shop, perhaps by March if things go as expected.

The OEM factory magazines, have been plagued by reports of cracked and broken feelips for some time now. Certain solvents and cleaners have proven to quickly ruin a magazine almost overnight in some cases. While I haven't experienced this with any of my magazines, in gen 1 or gen 2 OEM mags, you can do a search and will surely find some hits.

So, Manticore Arms has been designing a new magazine with a metal feedlip, which reminds me in some ways of a Lancer ar15 magazine, which uses a metal feedlip on top of the mag, rather than relying on the plastic body.

They have also increased capacity to 32 rounds, instead of the 30 round factory magazine.

Here are some pictures of the new mags. I plan to do some video, but am waiting on the weather to cooperate.

Until then, here are some snapshots.

Clear
manticore 026.JPG

Smoke
manticore 027.JPG

Size reference to factory mags. Manticore/PGS on the left, CZUSA on the right
manticore 006.JPG

CZUSA spring on the left, manticore PGS spring on the right
manticore 009.JPG

Manticore weight empty 4.35 ounces (OEM mags were 3.85 ounces)
manticore 018.JPG
---------------------------------------------------------------

Drop test, fully loaded on concrete- 5 foot drop directly onto feedlip

You can see the little scuff on the rear corner of the feedlip where it landed. (You can also see some marking on the bullet itself too).

manticore dropsy 004.JPG

The metal lip did come unsnapped on the left side of the mag body and tilted under the pressure of the spring but it didn't completely fail, and it didn't lose any rounds.

The lip snapped back onto the tab when I pressed it down with my thumb. This is about the worst case of an accidental drop that I think will happen in real life. It hit square on the corner on top of the lip.

manticore dropsy 001.JPG

manticore dropsy 006.JPG

And as I mentioned, went back together without a hitch

manticore dropsy 009.JPG

More will be coming in the future.

Going to try to shoot them this evening and get some live fire time in with them. And Video.

I'm going to try flat point 147 Federal brass case, some 147 round nose brass, some 115 gr steel case, and some 115 +P+ federal HP's nickel case.

That should pretty much cover most any bullet type that anyone would ever be feeding with them. Bullet taper, and case type.

Back