• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 SPX BW Issues Help Required

OK..... I've been so busy and haven't had time to work on the gun. First would like to thank Mossberg Support for being responsive. I did get the new tube and spring and installed on the gun.

1). I did notice that the nut that holds the fore arm grip in place on the tube now tightens snug, where it wouldn't before being that it was stripped.
2). Shells no longer get stuck when inserting into the tube.
3). I haven't fired the gun yet, but I was able to safely cycle 2 3/4 Remington Slugs with no issues.
4). Switching to 3 inch slugs did produce cycling issues once again

I may be shipping it back to Mossberg while its still under warranty.

Hand cycling without firing doesn't always give an accurate impression of how the gun will actually run. The forces moving against the shell stop and the timing/speed of the bolt in relation isn't something you can easily simulate with hand cycling. Run some rounds through it before making any additional changes. Sadly, many common 3" slugs are simply too big for the ejection ports on many 3" guns. There are 2 & 3/4 slugs with nearly as much punch as the 3" and may prove more reliable in making it out of the ejection port.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

I have had fantastic results with the 3 inch Federal Premium Truball Rifled 1 oz. They run great thru my 930 SPX. I have to say I have had great results with this gun. Running OR3GUN's "Follower" with a Wolff spring as well.

It's been awhile since I've posted, wanted to give an update. Last I posted 6/16, well I just got a chance last week to fire the gun.....I know....I've been busy, work, got married, life. Anyhow had several FTE and then the gun stop feeding from the tube all together. When I looked, some how the follower and spring became lodged inside the Choate tube and I can't get it out. So after all the new parts still have issues and I'm not ready to break up with her....but going to be shipping her back to Mossberg for factory repair.

I have had fantastic results with the 3 inch Federal Premium Truball Rifled 1 oz. They run great thru my 930 SPX. I have to say I have had great results with this gun. Running OR3GUN's "Follower" with a Wolff spring as well.

What kind of Wolff Spring?

No p/n on the bag it came in. Just labeled as a Wolff extra power 12 ga. Magazine spring, marked for the Mossberg 930/935. It measures .040" wire dia. and 36" long. I cut it to 32" long. The stock spring measures 38" long and .036" dia.

I have been having similar issues and my SPX has been to Mossberg 3x and it still doesn't work. My gun had run flawlessly for over the first 400 rounds of it's life. Now it has many FTF and FTE although it is slightly better since the last repair. I have cleaned it using the info on Jerry Miculek's video, did the Brownell's shell stop polishing, and lightly polished the magazine tube with wet 2000 grit sandpaper to get rid of a spot the gas piston was slightly sticking on. Now I just have to find time to test it.

No p/n on the bag it came in. Just labeled as a Wolff extra power 12 ga. Magazine spring, marked for the Mossberg 930/935. It measures .040" wire dia. and 36" long. I cut it to 32" long. The stock spring measures 38" long and .036" dia.

Thanks man... I assume your 930 SPX is performing as it should with no issues?? I'll give wolff a call.

I have been having similar issues and my SPX has been to Mossberg 3x and it still doesn't work. My gun had run flawlessly for over the first 400 rounds of it's life. Now it has many FTF and FTE although it is slightly better since the last repair. I have cleaned it using the info on Jerry Miculek's video, did the Brownell's shell stop polishing, and lightly polished the magazine tube with wet 2000 grit sandpaper to get rid of a spot the gas piston was slightly sticking on. Now I just have to find time to test it.

I wonder if the newer 930 models are any better? I'm planning a fishing trip to Alaska and was going to take this along for bear defense......not having the warm a fuzzies, trusting my life with the current condition of my 930SPX with maybe 60 rounds total through it. I'll ship it back to Mossberg and see what they can do with it. If they can't fix this gun I love, I just may have to trade for a Beretta 1301......

This is the follower that I use in my 930.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/HFD2-DEFENDER-12-GAUGE-SHOTGUN-FOLLOWER-/131665547342?nav=SEARCH

Here is the Wolff spring from a reputable source although I bought mine on ebay and cut it to work for my needs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3415655995/wolff-tubular-magazine-spring-12-gauge

These 2 items together make the tube issues I was having a bad memory.

Somehow I think I missed this.... I will look into this. Thanks for the info!!

If you modify the gun , such as adding an extended mag tube : is Mossberg still inclined to fix the gun for free ?

Polishing the magazine tube to fix damage caused by the gas system (typically the ring or spring on the secondary) will usually make it cycle worse. That damage usually indicates a burr on the spring of the secondary gas system. Even sanded down, the gouge is either still there or the magazine tube has been reduced in dimension to make the gouge disappear. Unfortunately, that magazine tube is what the secondary gas system ring seals on. If it is smaller, out-of-round or scratched, gas leaks past it and isn't used by the primary gas system to cycle the gun. Replacing the magazine tube AFTER fixing the burr in the secondary gas system that caused it is usually the way to fix it. The good news is that you can take this opportunity to replace the blued magazine tube with a Boron Nitride one from a Pro Series.

William

The "crud" buildup on my tube gets so hard to remove -I use steel wool . I also used sand paper to clean up scratches from a burr on the inner spring (they were not deep-but I could see/feel them ) . So far ,the gun has run flawlessly since .
Do you still recommend I replace the mag. tube ? Also - how do YOU remove that burned in, caked on,rock hard "crud "on the tube if not with abrasives?

also , since that burr may have damaged my tube enough to effect proper operation of the gas system ; do you think Mossberg would consider sending me a new one for my RHYTHM 930?

We spray the tube down with CLP, let it sit for a few minutes, then hit it with #0000 synthetic steel wool pads with a but more CLP on them. The pads can be found at your local Woodcraft store or online. Anything heavier will scratch and score the tube, especially if it is blued one, rather than the Boron Nitride version. Mossberg may not send you a tube as it is considered part of the receiver, however, confidently give them the individual part number for it and you can probably simply order one. If it isn't causing your gun any issues, yours may still be fine. Getting the carbon build-up off and leveling out a burr in the metal are vastly different levels of material removal.

William

I've had zero issues using the Wilson follower in my SPX

follower6.png

Thanks Will , your advice is well taken . I thought I'd be able to order a new tube from them if needed . And heck yes- carefully grinding down the guilty tip of that piston spring was a pain, but it sure stopped the scoring of the tube ! Now to find the part # of that tube .......... just in case

well, that effort was futile ; I couldn't even find anyone selling the receiver, let alone that tube or even it's part #. I must ponder my options ............

Back