• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The LEATHERMAN Thread

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Hi. I have only found one thread with LEATHERMAN in the title and it is from 2010.

So lets hear your opinions and experiences of these multi-tools, please.

I own two yet I am somewhat new to ownership. I will literally be dead before their 25-year year warranty runs out.

Somebody here probably can brag about decades of ownership.

I don't own one. I think all 3 of my sons do and like them. Especially my oldest who has followed in his Daddy's footsteps as a lineman.

I have been given Gerber and worse multi-tools as gifts but every time I placed any demand on one they took a dump.

I got tired of the disappointment a while back and went American Made LEATHERMAN. There is a big difference. Also in price, alas.

SWISS Victorianox CS PLUS is available at the same price point as Leatherman AND THEY FEATURE PLIERS as well.

So If you have the SWISS TOOL this thread is for you too!

Last edited:
I have a Gerber and a Kershaw multi-tool. These both gotta be near/more than 20 years old
Gerber multi-plier 600 needlenose in stainless steel and it's still in the original pouch.
Kershaw A100 multi tool locking vice grip needlenose in stainless also with original pouch.

^ Great looking stuff. Are the older ones made better than the offerings of today? They look much better than Gerber from China?

Kershaw Locking Vice Grip sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for showing me those. You have opened my eyes.

There is so much plain junk out there but it's exciting to see that several companies have made some quality stuff.

I bought three of these Winchester Multi-Tool sets awhile back...for my wife, daughter, and myself.

Each of us has a MED Kit with one of these in them...along with other 1st aid items...attached to our Bug Out Bags...which are in our respective vehicles.

I also have other "Multi-Tool" sets from SOG ( in my Jeep glove compartment )... and Home Depot's HUSKY Line of products...that I've picked up over the years...

I find myself using them all the time...instead of dragging out the tool box.

What I am learning from this is that I somehow was gifted some really bottom-end crap, and that in trying to upgrade I have been ignorant of several tools offered from several brands that are good to purchase.

I'm not sorry I bought Leatherman but I certainly trust all of you when you say you are satisfied with another brand, and I would buy with confidence based on what you describe.

I am not a snob about such things, just ignorant....

nitesite, my very limited experience with a lot of those type tools is also bottom shelf. And probably why they never gained much interest from me. Mostly because the ones I have ever used is more like a cheap swiss army knife type deal that you would find at an outdoor flea market and were "gimmicky" at best. So, I never really pursued them much and were more troublesome than they were help.

I'm not necessarily a brand snob either. But my experience with certain tools from certain companies (like Klein for instance where hand tools are concerned) have shown them to be of high quality, I will spring for more money when I know that I'm going to get my monies worth out of it.

Most times, I'll buy a cheap pack of tools or screwdrivers because I know I'll end up losing them or to get by with on the cheap. But a tool that I will be using for use in the "real world" where it's going to have to stand the test of time, I will go in paying more for quality when the quality is there.

I have two, both courtesy of the USAF during Hurricane Andrew in '92. Both have broken blade tips and the small screwdriver tips are damaged. But I carry them every day, everywhere. To damn handy not to. Just haven't been able to justify the cost of replacing them.

BTW, one of them was used to stab my ex-wife. No, not by me but by herself during the hurricane (before she was my wife). She was trying to open a MRE bag and was pulling it toward her leg. Before I could say anything, slice, right thru the bag and about 1/2"-3/4"into her thigh. :eek::yikes:

Last edited:
I've had a lot of cheap multi tools gifted and purchased. I have one of the cheapies in my wifes glovebox.
The two pictured are the only real ones I've held onto.
I have to say the Kershaw gets the most use. The locking pliers have been useful in multiple applications and
if I was looking for a new tool it would need to be a locking jaw type.
The one thing I do not like about some multi tools is when the handles have the open end, that stores blades, etc,
on the outward face and dig into your hand when squeezing tightly.

I owned a leatherman for a while and loved it. I lost it at some point. I have a few cheap knockoffs and they have been fine.

The nicest one I have is a Shrade tool. I found it when my company moved into a new building. No one ever came back to claim it so I ended up with it.

I find it easy to get overwhelmed with many of the models on the market. Most offer tools that seem cool but I will realistically never use. You almost need several so you have one oriented towards each activity.

I've used them more in the boat for emergency sheer pin replacement and lure repair than anything else. I also always keep one in my hunting pack in case of emergency.

I'll try to remember to post some pics of the ones I have.

I have the SOG multitool since 1991. Got while in Army has served me well many years. Its carried almost everyday.14922021316491561179749.jpg

Attachments

• 14922020628391284886814.jpg
    14922020628391284886814.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 0
Back