• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

She Shoots High

rainman1977

Copper BB
I recently purchased a Maverick 88. I was missing the cans I was shooting slugs at so I put it on a bench rest to see where it was hitting. The gun shoots about six inches high at twenty yards. Is there any way to correct this. It has a bead front sight and no rear sights.

Shotguns shoot slugs high. The bead is approx set at 100 yard point of impact for slugs.

Aim lower. gotta use Kentucky windage.

Ol Peggy was a smart girl. I've only shot 7 1/2 or 8's from my other shotguns, but they pattern where I aim. I'll try them in ol shorty.

Thanks,

RM

Maybe you should do an experiment for us all:

Pattern 7 1/2 in your Maverick and then pattern it with your other shotguns.

Pattern your POA/POI in the Maverick with slugs and your other shotguns.

Take pictures.

Report your results.

Here is a Remington 2 3/4" 1 oz slugger shot at 100 yards at an 8" plate from an 18.5" barrel, smooth bore with cylinder bore choke (no choke). I held the bead just at the bottom of the plate.
13118888_10209559621812404_6394126146897385335_n.jpg
13118888_10209559621812404_6394126146897385335_n.jpg

Last edited:
Shoot, I have to aim about a foot over the target @ 100 yards with my 18.5" barrel. You are shooting high. Or you have a great slug going for you. Which slugs are you using? Just Remington one ounce?

Shoot, I have to aim about a foot over the target @ 100 yards with my 18.5" barrel. You are shooting high. Or you have a great slug going for you. Which slugs are you using? Just Remington one ounce?
Yeah. Remington 1oz. Sluggers.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Tapatalk

i'm willing to bet it's due to not having the rear sight to assist in lining up the shot. i noticed the exact same thing at about the same distance; i didn't measure exactly. we're probably just not holding the gun level with the target while we line up our shot.

Shotguns are set up for the average shooter. Not many folks fit that average perfectly. Too thick a cheek pressed down onto that stock will shoot high and often left. If yours are, try to scrunch your cheek down tighter or just Kentucky windage it as Monkey said.

Back