• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stacked stone

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
We had done some excavating about 2 or 3 years ago.

Since that time, we've had what seems like about 4 million rocks float up as the earth is settling as everything is getting back to normal. I have to go over the yard every spring before I start the weekly yard work schedule and remove them so the mower doesn't get destroyed hitting them.

We have raked and picked up most of them by hand and threw them in the back corner of the property for a while now, but then came the dilemma of what to do with them?

And then my favorite set of Bible verses came to mind.

Ecclesiastes 3; 1-8 which includes: A time to cast away stones and a time to gather stones and build up.

Last spring, I stacked some along the driveway where my wife wanted to plant a little flower garden. This worked great for me because it was less that had to be done with the weed-whacker

stacked stone porch 001.JPG

Since that worked out so well, and that big empty void around the little deck at the kitchen door was an eyesore to me, last fall, I stacked stone around the deck.

stacked stone porch 002.JPG

stacked stone porch 003.JPG

And the last few days, I've worked on and off making a fire pit in the back yard near the swing so we can enjoy it and am planning to add onto it once I get more rocks gathered up and make a little bbq pit off to the side of it. While a gas grill is nice, sometimes I like to use sticks or charcoal to cook on, so I plan to finish it before summer sets in.

stacked stone firepit 001.JPG

At least it's better than a huge pile of rocks laying in the back corner of the yard.

The area I live in now was settled in the late 1780's...and just about all the walls and wells were built with the same type of stone.

I use the stone the same as the original dwellers...and you. Build up areas under the porches and storage unit out back...even built the wife a garden area.

A lot of stacked stone here too. Some like mine are quaint.

Others are massive.

Long walls now in the middle of nowhere that are called "track stones" because the Cherokee built them mainly for cultivation purposes near their villages, and many are carved with animal tracks on many of the stones of animals they saw. (why they call them track stones)

And a lot of my area has huge boulders and cliffs and caves and overhangs and streams. Very unique place in the world really. And one of my favorite places of them all is located at 2:05 in this video. It's a ceremonial cave.

It looks very New England and it looks like a lot of work moving the stone.

The area I live in now was settled in the late 1990's...and just about all the walls were built with wood studs, styrofoam, plywood, and stucco. When I see flat chunks like that they are not stone at all but pieces of hardpan: which is what this Valley sets on: layers of sand and hardpan.

If you see loose rocks they are River Rocks and rounded.

So there's very little colonial charm involved, but they will allow us to have a barbecue pit. :cool: this is on my bucket list.

Last edited:
Ever see any bear around those caves...!?

Perfect for them to hibernate.

I don't need to go to the caves to see bear.

They're everywhere here.

I have to ride up to Morro Rock in the Sequoia Nat Monument.

For some reason the Bear Cruise up and down alongside the road that goes from Morro Rock to The Generals Highway.

Maybe tourists are tossing Skittles and M&Ms from the tour busses.

Last edited:
Just to go on the record here, I hate bears. Absolutely, positively hate everything about them.

Before we moved in the house we live in now, I couldn't even let my kids outside to play in the yard unless I was armed. Game wardens wouldn't do squat. Last time I called them, they told me if they continued getting nuisance and dangerous bear calls from my neighborhood, they would start writing tickets to homeowners every time a bear got into someones garbage for feeding the bears.

Naturally, that conversation went down hill rather abruptly and ended about as beautifully as a train wreck, but I didn't lose any sleep telling him where he could put his tickets, and the bear.

Back