• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New JM PRO Owner "Disappointment"

Hi everyone...new forum member telling my story. I read a few threads, Brownell's link on fix, etc. Hoping to learn more...

I purchased a new in box JM Pro 12 gauge, 24" barrel 10 shot. Pretty excited as my brother has one and it runs perfectly. He has not needed to re-work it in any way. Anyway, I took mine to the local indoor range, dropped a slug in it (all they let you shoot out of a shotgun), pushed the bolt release and it did not feed. The shell stuck approx. 1/3 of the way into the chamber. Proceeded to clear the gun, manually inserted the same shell into the chamber, pressed bolt release (closed this time) and I proceeded to fire the first round!

Ended up shooting 10 rounds (two different types of slugs) but not without problems. Did not seem to matter if the shells were dropped into an open receiver fed or in the magazine tube. Had a total of three failure to feed in the 10 rounds. All are similar with the shell sticking about 1/3 of the way into the chamber. Put it away and brought it home to do some functional checks with bird shot/buck shot.

Functional checks with bird shot, 00 buck shot and slugs resulted in slugs still hanging up (hung up on front edge of shell)
,IMG_0442_webpage.jpg

bird shot and buck shot plastic shell cases show cuts and shaved areas (bottom dead center in pics below), slugs really shaved/cut.

IMG_0444_webpage.jpg IMG_0453_webpage.jpg IMG_0450_webpage.jpg

measured all the ammo and it is within SAAMI Speck for shot and slugs. Anyone else seen this result on their shells?

I called customer service and the JM Pro is on an all expense paid trip back to Mossberg for checkout/repair. Hopefully it is an easy fix for the factory

Will let you know what happens.

See how it goes on return. Personally, I would get some wet/dry sand paper and lay it on a known flat surface (granite countertops are great for this!). Remove your extractor, and starting at 400 grit, polish the face of the bolt down to 1500 grit. Lightly chamfer, then polish the lower edge of the extractor, where it is contacting the rim. Also check the alignment of the elevator.

Sorry to hear ya had problems. I spent part of Sunday at our club shooting skeet with my JM. Over 75 Federal target rounds fired thru it without a hiccup (although I swear I was firing blanks. The damn birds wouldn't drop... :laugh:).

See how it goes on return. Personally, I would get some wet/dry sand paper and lay it on a known flat surface (granite countertops are great for this!). Remove your extractor, and starting at 400 grit, polish the face of the bolt down to 1500 grit. Lightly chamfer, then polish the lower edge of the extractor, where it is contacting the rim. Also check the alignment of the elevator.
Thanks Rob...will see how return goes....

Sorry to hear ya had problems. I spent part of Sunday at our club shooting skeet with my JM. Over 75 Federal target rounds fired thru it without a hiccup (although I swear I was firing blanks. The damn birds wouldn't drop... :laugh:).
Thanks OhioArcher....sometime those birds are elusive!. I hope to have a similar report to make shortly....heard from more than once source that Federal loads run good through the JM.

Hello everyone, I'm a new member w/a new 22" JM Pro. I have read a few threads, posts and the owner's manual about the JM Pro after my purchase trying to become knowledgeable. Of course my shotgun has a problem too. When fully loaded with an empty chamber I cannot load a shell by pulling the bolt to the rear and pushing the bolt release. Apparently this is a very well known problem. You guys know it, JM knows it, Brownell's knows it and has a WebBench article on the fix , and Mossberg knows it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=...ing-A-Mossberg-930-Feed-From-The-Tube-Problem

I followed Brownell's instructions but it did not fix my problem.

I followed Jerry's instructions on maintenance and lubrication. I even used the Hornady One Shot to clean it and Wilson Combat Universal oil to lube it.

If "everyone" knows about this problem why has Mossberg let this "Disappointment" continue to plague us.

I don't quite understand the problem. If your mag tube is fully loaded and you pull the bolt handle back, the bolt shouldn't lock back. It should be like any other semi-auto, pistol, rifle, shotgun, where you just rack the bolt and it automatically loads the next round. That's how my SPX works anyway. I could be wrong and invite a more experienced person to correct me.

I don't quite understand the problem. If your mag tube is fully loaded and you pull the bolt handle back, the bolt shouldn't lock back. It should be like any other semi-auto, pistol, rifle, shotgun, where you just rack the bolt and it automatically loads the next round. That's how my SPX works anyway. I could be wrong and invite a more experienced person to correct me.
It should, you're right. However, stamped parts, rough machine marks and tolerance stacking can all add up to friction and/or actual lock up of moving parts. My "SPX" stamped gun is like yours, a dream to cycle. My 930 marked gun(SPX parts & box, but not stamped SPX) is a bit more coarse in action.

Hi everyone...new forum member telling my story. I read a few threads, Brownell's link on fix, etc. Hoping to learn more...

I purchased a new in box JM Pro 12 gauge, 24" barrel 10 shot. Pretty excited as my brother has one and it runs perfectly. He has not needed to re-work it in any way. Anyway, I took mine to the local indoor range, dropped a slug in it (all they let you shoot out of a shotgun), pushed the bolt release and it did not feed. The shell stuck approx. 1/3 of the way into the chamber. Proceeded to clear the gun, manually inserted the same shell into the chamber, pressed bolt release (closed this time) and I proceeded to fire the first round!

Ended up shooting 10 rounds (two different types of slugs) but not without problems. Did not seem to matter if the shells were dropped into an open receiver fed or in the magazine tube. Had a total of three failure to feed in the 10 rounds. All are similar with the shell sticking about 1/3 of the way into the chamber. Put it away and brought it home to do some functional checks with bird shot/buck shot.

Functional checks with bird shot, 00 buck shot and slugs resulted in slugs still hanging up (hung up on front edge of shell)
,View attachment 13955

bird shot and buck shot plastic shell cases show cuts and shaved areas (bottom dead center in pics below), slugs really shaved/cut.

View attachment 13960 View attachment 13961 View attachment 13962

measured all the ammo and it is within SAAMI Speck for shot and slugs. Anyone else seen this result on their shells?

I called customer service and the JM Pro is on an all expense paid trip back to Mossberg for checkout/repair. Hopefully it is an easy fix for the factory

Will let you know what happens.

Got it back from Mossberg Factory. Work order says the M930 Shell Stop ASM was replaced. Also says they shot 10 rounds of 2 3/4" Field loads and 3 rounds of 3" field loads Steel. I took it out and put some slugs and buck shot (10 rounds at local indoor range) through it as functional check and it ran fine. A full day of shooting will tell.

Got it back from Mossberg Factory. Work order says the M930 Shell Stop ASM was replaced. Also says they shot 10 rounds of 2 3/4" Field loads and 3 rounds of 3" field loads Steel. I took it out and put some slugs and buck shot (10 rounds at local indoor range) through it as functional check and it ran fine. A full day of shooting will tell.

I am glad to see this thread pop up.

I have exactly the same problem and just mailed my shotgun in fedex on Friday.

There is a pretty big gap since your last post, I hope your turn around time was not 2 months :(

There is a thread just below this one I created with a youtube video.

Back