• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 464 Hog

Killed this big boar about an hour from my house. Trying to thin them out so they don't run the deer off.
After hit at about 60 yards it walked 50 yards or so and collasped.
QmbGV5p.jpg

Congratulations on the huge hog!

Looks like you shot him right between the eyes with a 30-30 and he still made it 50 yards? :eek:

Those things are damn tough.

I've never eaten a wild hog. Are they much different than store-bought pork?

The ones I have eaten were pretty good barbecued. You have to eat the smaller ones. Big ole sows and boars are not fit to eat.

Was using the Hornady 160 grain FTX 30-30 bullet. It angled through him and did a lot of damage. Lung parts in the exit hole.

Bill

. . . Big ole sows and boars are not fit to eat.

Was using the Hornady 160 grain FTX 30-30 bullet. It angled through him and did a lot of damage. Lung parts in the exit hole.

Bill

Well do they make good dog food then?

You should see the food bill for our two chowhounds.

I'm still amazed that you hit him right through the brain with a 30-30 and he didn't go right down.

That brain shot was after he went down. He was trying to get back up and I wasn't going to let that happen.
Bill

So what do you do with a 400-pound dead pig that you can't eat?

Nice hog, congrats!!

So what do you do with a 400-pound dead pig that you can't eat?
Let it lay for the coyotes and buzzards. In Oklahoma, they are not classified a game animal so there is no limit or season as well. They are doing so much damage to the areas that you are encouraged to kill them when you see them.
Bill

I'm thinking that with the (theoretical) end of the drought, the varmints and game animals are going to start breeding like crazy this year. We might be seeing some serious local hog action.

LOL. I will do my best. I have not seen any since I moved to Tulsa seven years ago. However, shooting a wild hog has made its way onto my bucket list.

Very nice hog. It's a big one.

Thankfully, we don't have wild hogs here (yet) though they are encroaching ever closer as time goes on.

LOL. I will do my best. I have not seen any since I moved to Tulsa seven years ago. However, shooting a wild hog has made its way onto my bucket list.

Be very aware of the regulations!!
Any questions call the Game Warden,
Anthony Clark Tahlequah (918) 431-2562
Brady May Tahlequah (918) 431-2552
Very professional and helpful fellas.

Read page 39:
https://wildlifedepartment.com/sites/default/files/huntguide1617.pdf

Hogs may be taken on Department-managed
lands during any established hunting season with
methods authorized by the Department for that
hunting season, except that during any open deer
and/or turkey season, only appropriate methods,
hunting hours and legal equipment for that deer
and/or turkey season are authorized for taking
or pursuing feral hogs.

This means if you hunt hogs during Deer, Elk, Antelope or Turkey season you have to use only what firearms and ammo are legal for that particular season. There is no season on hogs and there is no limit. You may leave them lay or take them home.

Ticks are terrible down there so be prepared!!
This stuff works well and will protect you. It's on the shelf in the camping section.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-P...ategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=e0I9VWaA9rXB2qiNFzj3LM

Bill

Last edited:
Back