• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Water Monkey's 2017 Projects

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
I've got a few projects and buys planned for this year firearm related so I figured I'd keep this shiznit all on one thread

Project # 1 - Fix the Skeet Gun

I acquired a very awesome Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III brand new from Joel Etchen's guns December 2015. I got to shoot it some during 2016 but the gun was too long and I needed a comb raiser to get a good skeet 60/40 spread on my target. So, based on reputation, I handed it off to a local "master woodsmith".

He ended up demolishing my stock installing the comb raiser, never called me, and placed on a used field stock (mine was a sporting stock which is thicker and heavier to absorb recoil for extended range sessions). To top it all off one of the butt pad screws was literally stripped.... that's what a "master woodsmith" does in NY. He only charged me for parts of the comb raiser ($50) but I should have just walked out completely had I known about the stripped butt pad screw hole.

So, I could sue him and waste time and money I'll never get back for a $600 stock. Or I could just replace it down the road. Sucks I was put in that position but I should have been true to my word and never trust NY gun people.... ever to do work for me. I broke my rule and I paid for it.

I sent off my gun to Coles Guns in Florida which is an approved Beretta service center. Coles also had a deal on some really nice sporting stocks (monte carlo) that I took advantage of.

Well, it's back from the shop. I spent the last 30 min tuning it to my mount and got it set up for skeet when it warms up:

33197628010_cf3110089d_k.jpg

32737875644_272542e012_k.jpg

33451676211_5bfd3abbbd_k.jpg

Next 2 projects should be ready by June 2017 and the following project by July/August 2017

That looks so awesome! I'm not a traditional furniture guy nor an over under guy but he can recognize a beautiful thing and that shotgun certainly is!

Finally got a chance to take out the shotgun to the skeet range. Performed absolutely amazing. Recoil was perfect and went right into my shoulder with no kicking into my cheek (as the other effed up stock did). Swing was good but I tend to swing rather fast, LOP was perfect. It was a good day.

Shot 5 rounds of Skeet in a 40*F day with good wind (10-15mph) so the clays were doing some interesting dances in the air. Best game was 20/25 with the rest being my normal average of 15-18 clays per game. Gonna get some more personal training on stations 3, 4, 5 cause that’s where I miss the most clays consistently.

I shall call her Betsy. Always wanted a shotgun called Betsy and she fits the bill. Here’s Betsy in her natural habitat:

33008623833_6e03f09593_z.jpg

My little Tukus wanted to join me. Told her 10 more years before she can play with Daddy. She was happy just to wear my shooting vest

33665663752_dee80d2c1f_z.jpg

33008625273_b295d0ec5c_z.jpg

Project # 2 is well under way:

Edward Charles Wicks Memorial Garand Build

My grandfather was a sailor during WWII. Sent out my WWII Barreled receiver to be rebarreled in .308 for my pseudo Navy Build (Barrel was a new Criterion barrel and not original).

This build will be fancy and not be period correct as my Korean War build for my Father In Law. Primarily because it will cost quite a bit to get period specific parts (WWII lock bar sights run $200, and the op rod is close to $500 alone).

Got the stock and metal in from DGR a few days ago:

33050632474_038b114481_k.jpg

33509201070_9148207cc0_k.jpg

Sent in my order to Ron Brown on Friday for a sling with his initials and the Navy emblem.

Water Monkey

Last edited:
What am I? Chopped liver...I read this. Hence the popcorn guy....like a real good movie...

Hit skeet again today with new chokes (Angle Port). Had a terrific first game (23/25) my personal best. Other games shot average 15-17 clays per game.

Here's some video of station 2 (trying out the POV camera)

Those skeets shattered just from the power of your voice.

For real.

POST #12 gave me a stiffie that lasted more than four hours. Had to go get an adrenaline shot.

LOL.... I wish... Last game I literally couldn't hit squat. I used up my juju on the game I had the POV camera on.... so pissed the camera shifted on other stations because I got some really cool breaks in that would have been awesome on the POV camera. But wearing the head set is a PITA with the shotgun when I need a good cheek weld.

Yeah I had ordered the wood without any stain because I wanted a lighter wood. But when I got it I was satisfied with it so I didn't call to complain. The grain is pretty remarkable on that side. Not as prominent on the other side but when I shoulder it the tiger stripes are facing out.

cool vid....one of these days I need to go skeet shooting.

It's very addictive. Once you hit one clay... you kinda want to keep playing to you get them all.

I started doing doubles a couple of years ago.... not as bad as I thought it would be. Once you hit the first one quickly you feel you have all the time in the world to nail the second one. Getting the first one is the key. And if you miss just transition to the other one immediately.

Back