• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Indianrider checking in...

Indianrider

Copper BB
Hello,
I am new to the site. I found it while I have been doing research on my Mossberg 20GA 500CR.

My father bought it at a used gun shop back in 1973ish. My first year I could hunt was 1975 and I used it to hunt deer with slug shoot. Last month May 2017 my brother and I found it in a old shed, very, very rusty and in bad shape. I recondition it and it looks and shoots awesome. (Pictures to follow.) So under the slide I found a stamp, Mossberg 500CR Made in USA North Haven Conn. Also on the receiver left side the number D 70246.
There are no other numbers on the gun. Would that be the serial #? can someone tell me the year it was made or any history on it or where I could go to find out more. Don't care about the value, never going to sell it. Thank you, look forward to being on this site.

Indianrider

Thanks everybody for the come.

Old Mossy, thanks for the info. But I have another question? I have been doing lots of research on this gun with not to much luck.
But my 20ga only has one slide rail. I found a few articles that stated Mossberg stopped making one slide rails in 1970. any info on that.

Thanks
Indianrider

The dual arms were started in 1970.

In your case it's quite possible they had some single arm guns that got stamped out in 1972 ???

There are some things Mossberg does that we all don't understand.:rolleyes:

Howdy, welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
ripjack13

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

Welcome to the club Indianrider.
Please look up the "show us your bike" thread & post up some pictures of your Indian. Also some photos of your old Mossberg if you like.

As far as the oddball Mossberg's are concerned, I find this is a situation in lots of small manufacturing companies. The inventory gets a little crazy because somebody made too many of this part, or not enough of that part, or a machine broke down or somebody forgot to count something, or it just got lost in the warehouse.

Then some months later a guy pulls out a box of parts and says "We never used these!" And they set up a short production run just to use up those parts.

This is happened in the automotive industry too, and actually because of the huge Plymouth workers strike in 1946, Chrysler Corp simply kept building the same old P15 model car for three and a half years until they had enough parts to build the new model. This means there are two distinct '49 Plymouth cars which look nothing alike.

Plymouth was pretty good about the record-keeping in this case but other manufacturers were not. Lots of mysteries occur in the repair business because of this problem.

Welcome from MI!!

Back