• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

I shot the LE1321B and the wad did not separate until 40 yards. YIKES. Under 40 yards it hit like a slug. I think the wad is supposed to separate at 10 yards, so I wonder if I got a bad batch.

I was curiously just looking into a light mounting solution for the shockwave. I live in CA so I can't own a 590 shockwave but that didn't mean I couldn't be curious about it. With such lack of real estate on the gun itself due to its short but stout size there isn't much of a option. The only immediate mounting spot would be on a pic rail mounted to the top of the receiver or drilling the already short forend and mounting a small piece of pic rail to that, much like the position of the tri-rail forend. I tried the Inforce WML mounted to the forend on my standard 590 and it was great but I wanted the light further fwd. I then opted for a mag tube mounted solution to get the flashlight further fwd and closer to the muzzle. I think the mount I used might actually fit the shockwave as well. I have the CDMgear MTC mount on my standard size 590 and the MTR mount should work well with a WML type mountable light. For either of these two mounts so long as you have that 1/2" of space between the forend and the barrel lug this should fit.

Taken from CDMgear's website:
http://www.cdmgear.com/lightmounts.html
"The MTC is the latest offering in the MT series of clamps for 1" lights giving you more for your money. This 2oz. clamp fits in a 1/2" of space so it is perfect for the Mossberg 590A1 and just about any other shotgun with a 25mm magazine tube and room to mount it. This mount can be positioned 2 ways, left or right, and provides a solid "lock up" around the mag tube. Each position allows for a sling to be used with the included sling mount/hand stop. Additionally there is provision for a QD push button sling swivel. Manufacturered from aircraft grade aluminum and hard coat anodized it is a superior mounting solution for those with limited space or under the gun mounting requirements. One tool for one bolt is all that is needed to attach and remove the clamp or light in seconds. Fits Mossberg 590A1 Heavy Millspec Barrel and Ithaca Shotgun Magazine Tubes. Not meant for magazine extensions without a clamp.
FITS: Mossberg 500, 535, 590, 590A1. Not for use with heat shield without modification in some cases.Will not fit Nordic Components magazine tube."
MTC:
mtc.gif
mtc2.gif
mtcsm.gif

MTR:
mtr1.gif
mtr3slot2.gif

One thing to take into account though with the MTC is the length of the flashlight you'd use if using with the shockwave. Since the barrel is so short it's possible with the wrong length flashlight it might not work out too well due to the head of the flashlight protruding past the muzzle or possibly the body and tail cap end protruding to far back for it to be properly positioned for ease of use. I found the position I put it was perfect as I wrap my hand around the forend my thumb is free to momentary activate the light when I need it or in a rare occasion click the tailcap all the way in for a constant on if I wanted to.

Mounted on my 18.5" 590:

Last edited:
Looking at mine, it doesn't look promising. I don't have a lot of room between the forend and the barrel lug. I thing a TLR-1 on a GG&G rail mount is about as good as we are going to get. I feel like the beauty of this design is keeping it as compact and simple as possible. Quick adjustable loop sling is all I am installing on mine. I removed the forend loop because I found it slowed down how fast I grabbed the gun and if I didn't get in the loop I had a mass of slick webbing reducing my purchase on the forend.
Good point about the gg&g rail mount. I forgot all about those. Way better of an option if you wanted a light. I actually have one of their sling loop plates but it didn't work for me because it acted as a stricture for shells to get hung up on in my magazine tube when fully loaded. Since you just have the magazine tube cap you wouldn't have that problem. If any of you want my sling loop plate lmk. I can drop it in an envelope and send it out. It does me no good just sitting in my box of gun parts.

So if I understand you correctly, the sling plate puts a gap in the tube and this causes notch that the rims hang on? Try some felt or rubber? It might take some fiddling err "tuning". Did yours have a rail or just sling loops?
It created a ledge where my tube extension and the plate met the barrel lug so the last two rounds in the mag tube would get hung up as the brass on the rd would catch on the ledge. If I just used a mag cap like on your shockwave there wouldn't be enough room for a shell to get caught on the ledge. It was just the single sling loop. I had planned to use magpul or hk style clips on my sling originally.

New member here. I have a Shockwave coming from PSA. It'll go nicely with my IWI X95 and Keltec RDB. I do like 26" weapons. Reading a lot here about the Shockwave. The big dot and the improved safety button are good upgrades. Has anyone thought about a heat shield? I don't know if anyone makes one for the Shockwave. It doesn't look like there is enough room to mount one to the heavy barrel. Thoughts on a heat shield?

Who started the aftermarket craze? Was it the Ford Mustang? Certainly Mustang has a gazillion aftermarket parts available. Glock has a great offering, but they didn't start it. Maybe Bill Wilson started it in guns with his modified 1911's. Whoever started the aftermarket businesses, we all enjoy them. NOW, where are the new offerings for the Shockwave.....a scabbard that fits....a birdhead grip with a MadMax texture, with maybe a matching foregrip, yeah...I'm addicted to the Shockwave. Improve upon what the firearm already has, but don't just bolt on as much crap as you can. Like Forrest said: " Too much stuff being added to these things in search of fulfillment and all we end up with is a heavy, clunky, gun..."

I recently added the rubberized version of the new Talon Shockwave grip to mine. I really like it, especially outdoors on hot, humid days. Installation was easy and a great fit too. Adds both an additional "tacky" feel/grip and some cushioning too. I'll try and add some photos of the installed, ruberized version tomorrow.

I agree with your sentiments of KISS but what's essential to one person may not be for the next and that is highly dependant on the role the gun fulfills for that owner. Frivolous modifications for the sake of just modifying something is highly impractical to the function of a firearm. If the intended purpose of the gun is just an ornament then have at it, otherwise try to stay within the parameters of function over form and you will thank yourself in the end for that. I prioritize ergonomics for function and a light for target identification. Anything else added to the gun should be to just make it run easier, but hey I was the same guy that thought a lit follower was neat for newbs to shotguns. LOL

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying. I treat all of my guns with care and try to give them the best treatment, even my Glock. I work them, but don't abuse them. Living the way I do, a gun is with me at all times. Even, the Shockwave has found it's place in my life.

I recently added the rubberized version of the new Talon Shockwave grip to mine. I really like it, especially outdoors on hot, humid days. Installation was easy and a great fit too. Adds both an additional "tacky" feel/grip and some cushioning too. I'll try and add some photos of the installed, ruberized version tomorrow.

Here are the photos, I promised yesterday:

New rubberized Talon Grips
1.jpg

Close Up, Left side
2.jpg

Top View
4.jpg

Bonus Photo, newly added XS Big Dot sight too
3.jpg

ProMag enhanced safety is next, post 4 July, that will do it for mine!

Here are companies I have contacted trying to encourage aftermarket grips: Hogue, ATI, Extreme and Esmeralda. I also wrote to Mossberg asking for a low profile ball cap with Shockwave on the front and Mossberg on the back strap. I also contacted Voodoo requesting a scabbard that will fit the Shockwave. Reckon you can tell I have too much time on my hands.

Last edited:
I found this scabbard. The standard length is 30" but Beez will cut it to the length you want. I saked about a 22" or 23" scabbard and I was told that Beez will "cut it down if needed". Take a look at the short barrel scabbard to get an idea of what it will look like. It costs $107.99 but you get a lot with the strap mounting system. I don't think I can afford it but it's worth a look.

http://beezcombatsystems.com/Shotgun-Scabbard-BCS-SS.htm?productId=6

https://survivallife.com/tactical-shotgun-scabbard-by-beez-combat-systems/

Last edited:
Here are companies I have contacted trying to encourage aftermarket grips: Hogue, ATI, Extreme and Esmeralda. I also wrote to Mossberg asking for a low profile ball cap with Shockwave on the front and Mossberg on the back strap. I also contacted Voodoo requesting a scabbard that will fit the Shockwave. Reckon you can tell I have too much time on my hands.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have already forwarded this to my marketing team. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

Back