• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Night Snipe Light mounted to the 935

SWIGIN

Due to coyote being in the area now I decided to try my hand at night hunting.

I got tired of getting off work and only having and hour or two of light during fur taking so I got myself a Night Snipe red light for night hunting. There has also been a lot of recent coyote sightings in my hunting area. One female was jumped by some farmers, it had 11 pups in her den! So it's time to go try to lower there numbers at night.

http://www.predatorhunteroutdoors.c...t/class-1-ns550-adjustable-hunting-light-kit/

So far just playing around with this light it is incredible! At work in the building in day light with the lights on it will shine a red spot on the far wall of the shop that is 80 yards away. At night they claim you get eye shine at 800 yards and can identify at 400 yards....we will see. I figured if it even works at half of what they claim I will be very happy.

I got the NS550 since it comes with an adjustable beam and a high and low mode so you can save your batteries and not be stuck with high only.

Tomorrow night will be my first night hunt so wish me luck!

Thanks guys, I had fun but I need more guys with lights. It seems like I'm looking at too much area and they could come in and leave till I get back to where I started scanning.

The light works much better then I was hoping for. On low and about halfway between spot and flood I could easily see several hundred yards! it just seemed to take too long to scan 180 degrees.

No coyotes tonight but I did get a ground hog before dark...lol

Are you using a red filtered light? Do you use a call?

The guys I know around here who hunt will only call from one spot for about 10 or 15 minutes before moving. That's not always possible depending where you hunt. For me, I know where they sometimes travel but that's based on food supply too. The rabbit population is exploding here and food isn't scarce at all so they aren't using some of the traditional routes. I only hunt on my own property so I try to bait and call over some of the paths they use occasionally. It's a crap shoot. We've seen them during the day, in the afternoon, I find their poop... I keep trying. I figure the more I'm out there, the better my chances. I'm still learning too, I solicit advice where ever I can.

I hunt yotes pretty regular but not at night its not allowed were i hunt them. I do enjoy it. Heres a video ive watched about using light. They scan fields fast. The article it was on said you should sweep field in about 5 seconds just looking for eye glimmer. Sounds fun. Well good luck and enjoy.

Yes, bought the red light and I have an electric call. I have used my call a decent amount out west and those coyote come running. I know ours are a different breed and seem less vocal and much smarter or less likely to just come running in.

One time in Montana about this time of year I accidently called in a huge mountain lion with a pups in distress call. He came running in full tilt and locked up his brakes to a stop and just crouched down like cats do when he realized we were there. He sat there for 5 minutes growling and spitting at us danger close. That was something I will never forget.

Here in PA I hunt my parents land, very flat with gown up fields and some woods that is surrounded by farms. Out west we move every 20-30 minutes like your saying and have had success after 15 minutes.

Here in PA on only 40-50 acers It feels like moving won't do much good with so little area to hunt on. I can cover half of Dads land with that light sitting in one spot. I just think I need another guy or two with a light to help cover it all. But like you said food for them is not a problem but when there is snow on the ground thy track up his entire area in search for food.

This time of year out west I have had luck using distress and denning calls so I tried that here last night with a little cotton tail at the end . But I'm new and I'm sure it will take time to perfect a technique that works here.

Here is a picture of the light mounted to the 935.
2ljp91h.jpg

I use shooting sticks (bog-pod) to hold the gun I'm carrying. The light does make the shotgun feel heavy so you need to rest it on the sticks. And since the sticks have a gun rest that pivots you can scan around very well with it without killing your arms.

Dicala,

That video reminds me of how they act in Kansas. I get fur fever but if I'd hit everything I shot at I could of had a week with results like they had in a night...incredible!

I'll have to look into that bog-pod. I'd also like to mount a light instead of holding it as I've been doing.

I don't go off my property. We have a lot of stuff pass through, it's just being there when they're there too.

With the food source being plentiful right now, I expect to see predator numbers up too. The fox haven't been a problem lately though I've seen one of last years kits in the yard. It was far more cautious than its parents, but it's been since winter that I've seen it.

I'm still working on my technique here too, just learning as I go and tracking what I'm able to try and set up where our paths might intersect.

There are lots of different brands of shooting sticks out there but Bog-pod is the nicest. I'm a big boy and my dad is a bigger boy and when he tells me to get a bog-pod because the others slip when you lean on them I listen!

The best way I found to hunt Coyotes is find a deer that has been hit by a car, cut the front shoulder off leaving the hide on. Tie the shoulder up in a tree just far enough where they cannot get a hold of it good enough to pull it down, and set back and watch.

Finally got a light. It's mounted on the 835 using the CDM Gear MTR clamp and provided 3 slot rail. The light actually came with a mount to use with a rifle scope but I like this sort of mount better. I have another short rail on my rifle too so this is easy to move from one to the other. The light says it's good to 250 yards. I'm skeptical but I tried it at 100 yards and I could my target stand without a scope and that's about my longest shot anyway. I also like that the light came with two rechargeable batteries so I can carry the extra if I need to.

I should try a couple shots at night. It seems like the sights are just about lined up with the brightest part of the beam and I'd like to see how close the pattern works out to be.

image1.JPG

Back