• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best price for .223/5.56

I've been saving my 223/556 brass after trips to the range. I've thought about reloading but I don't really have a place to do it.

I've been saving my 223/556 brass after trips to the range. I've thought about reloading but I don't really have a place to do it.

Reloading press and powder measure fits in two square feet of space! I've seen them mounted on a board which is then clamped to a kitchen counter and after use it gets put away in a closet or under a bed.

My press is mounted to a piece of 2x12 that I bolt to my workbench. Easy to remove with just a couple wing nuts.

Tumblers are not absolutely necessary, though. A bath in diluted vinegar works, it just doesn't get shiny bright. A Rubbermaid tub with a lid and a bathroom sink is fine.

Thanks.

Is it important to keep the 223 brass separate from the 556 brass? My brass are in boxes they came from except for a box of brass that a shooter gave me after he observed me chasing my brass. LOL

Being a new guy here, I can't find a quote button, but this is for Wrenches. Really you don't need to separate your brass by 223 vs 5.56x45. Unless your loading MAX loads, either brass will work in either a .223 or 5.56x45 rifle. The major difference between these 2 specs is the 5.56x45 has thicker walled brass. Which will reduces the inside capacity of the round. Meaning if you load near max loads in .223, in a 5.56x45 round will equal a +1.0 grains of powder in capacity and could easily put you over the max load for that powder and brass. This will cause a Ka-Boom.

Being a new guy here, I can't find a quote button, but this is for Wrenches. Really you don't need to separate your brass by 223 vs 5.56x45. Unless your loading MAX loads, either brass will work in either a .223 or 5.56x45 rifle. The major difference between these 2 specs is the 5.56x45 has thicker walled brass. Which will reduces the inside capacity of the round. Meaning if you load near max loads in .223, in a 5.56x45 round will equal a +1.0 grains of powder in capacity and could easily put you over the max load for that powder and brass. This will cause a Ka-Boom.

There are also differences in neck angles. You can shoot 223 in a 5.56 gun but usually not the other way around. I would keep them separated, but I'm new to 223/5.56 reloading.

Sent from my Barnett Raptor using alien technology

Two things come to mind about keeping them separate.

1- The primers are almost always crimped into the primer pocket on 5.56 cases. Once a 5.56 case is de-primed that crimped over edge has to be swaged or cut out to allow a new primer to be seated. It's absolutely necessary, but only has to be done once for each crimped piece of brass, and;

2- Some 5.56 primers are crimped in there REALLY well and the decapping pin of some sizing dies might snap under the pressure. So keeping the two separated allows you to use a more robust depriming method if you find it necessary, although running a .223 case thru a robust decapper certainly won't hurt a thing.

anm2_man is quite correct about internal volume and the slight adjustment necessary with the powder charge on military brass because of reduced volume and increased pressures at MAX .

I have seen some Federal 5.56 brass that they didn't crimp so that stuff accepts a new primer with ease.

Anyway, all this stuff needs to be discussed in RELOADING and not thread drift from the original topic. I should cut some posts out and move them, and will, if this thread drift (of which I am certainly also guilty) doesn't get back on topic.

Thanks, guys.

I guess I'll revive this old thread. SGammo has ZQI 5.56 62 gr SS109 for 359.60 per 1200 rounds +$18 shipping. Works out to 31.5¢ per round. I'd post a link, but for some reason the site is running so slow, I can't get to it.

Check the sub forum Hot Deals for info on what I just ordered....XM855 5.56x45mm SS109 62 grain Penetrator

afcc763b-3dfd-4c08-8b8e-dac7bf594875.png

Note: this came today as unsolicited email from http://defenderoutdoors.com/
I have never done business with them before.
I have no opinion about their service.
I have no knowledge of the quality of Aguila 5.56 ammo.
I do not have any weapons that use 5.56 ammo.
I am ignorant to that extent.

Back