• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Torque specifications for the Patriot (wooden stock)

Jack M Kucy

Copper BB
Hello,
I am planning to readjust the trigger.
What is the proper torque of the chamber bolts, when I assemble the rifle after adjustment?
Since it's a user-serviceable feature, I expected to have the answer to this question in the Manual.
However, I didn't find it?
Depending on a manufacturer the torque value varies substantially from 25 to 45 lb.
What is right for the Patriot?
Thanks,
Jack (JMK1000)

A respondent in the thread below titled "Action Screw Torque" states that Mossberg torques the screws to 20 Inch Pounds. His question was regarding a laminated stock model but the response wasn't specific to that type.

Personally, I go with "good and tight" with a dab of blue Loc-Tite.

The other issue you will encounter is that the adjustment screw feels kind of loose once you back it out to the lower end of the adjustment range. I don't know if it is ok to remove the screw and reassemble with a dab of thread locker or if I might cause a problem doing that. Mine seems to be holding it's adjustment but I only have about 20 rounds through it so far.

Gene

At the same time I asked the Forum, I asked also the Mossberg Customer Service.
This is what they answered:
"Thank you for your e-mail. The action screws for the Patriot should be torqued at 25 in/lbs. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.(...)"

So, I believe that this should be what they say. Sufficient to hold, not enough to compress the wood and create a stress in a wooden stock.

Now: Slightly broader question:
Did anybody bed the action? or bed the recoil lag? My rifle is new. 40 rounds, so far. It seems nice and sturdy. So, is it worthy to do action bedding?

Yeah, your description of the torque required is about what I had in mind.

I don't think you can bed the action in this stock because of the way they use the "ears" on either end of the plastic magazine well as bedding blocks. The action screws that you ask about go through a hole in each of those ears, one in front of the well and one behind it.

The chamber area of the barrel would be about the only place where you could make room for bedding compound. I will leave mine as it is for now.

Thanks Gene. I haven't opened mine yet. I am going to see it inside tomorrow. Probably what is left, is bedding the recoil lug. Only from the side of the action, though. The movement of the lug, and the return to the stable position after the shot, is the most important factor (as I heard from the far more experienced rifle owners).
I wonder if many of you, Patriot owners, have done it.

Mine has a bedding compound of sorts in the front of the recoil lug slot. It looks like epoxy resin with no fillers. The lug fits tightly against the walnut on it's rear face.

One test I did on it when I had it apart was to loosen the action bolts by one full turn each and then try to move the action for and aft. There was no perceivable movement.

I have the same impression about the recoil lug. It sits pretty solid, touching the wood at the back and in front it has the bead of some soft glue (a dumper of sorts).
I took apart the rifle this afternoon. What I really didn't like is the front action screw, sitting in the threaded hole at the front of the action. The depth of this hole is not more than 1/8", literally a few threads...
The way I can draw the forces acting during the shot, I would think, that the front screw receives a huge force upward, trying to rise the action from its bed. So, it beats me why the thickness of the action at this point is so little.
This thing alone (combined with the bolt being very wobbly when extended backwards) makes me question my decision of buying this rifle. I know, it's cheap, it shoots well at this point, it's quite pretty. But this front bolt being barely inserted in its hole is not a good thing. As I mentioned before - this is a brand new rifle - tomorrow it's going to be 2 weeks since I have bought it...

I'd though about bedding but first the rifles shoot great as they are and second, after a lot of though is you could bed the recoil lug and action under that plastic. Don't know if you would gain a thing so leaving mine alone.

I don't think you can bed the action in this stock because of the way they use the "ears" on either end of the plastic magazine well as bedding blocks. The action screws that you ask about go through a hole in each of those ears, one in front of the well and one behind it.

The patriot comes home with the recoil lug bedded with a soft gel of some sort. It's not physically stable and may be a bit responsive to temperature.

I removed the gummy stuff, and used Acraglas to re-bed the lug, and the barrel nut. I also bedded the tang, as my stock wanted to shift the barrel alignment to one side of the barrel channel, and by first bedding the tang I realigned the barrel in the channel. (I used a shim to orient the barrel in the middle of the channel).
Then I bedded the recoil lug forward of the bedding block to the front of the barrel nut, being careful not to bond the bedding block/magaziine box in place.

The Acraglas bedding gives me a very stable and positive feel when tightening the middle screw, as the force is spread over a much larger area.

That said, I don't think the effort is critical, except for giving the rifle a more durable area to tighten the screw. My main purpose was to get the barrel to sit in the middle of the barrel channel.

So, can it be done? Of course. Do you need to do it, probably not.

The patriot comes home with the recoil lug bedded with a soft gel of some sort. It's not physically stable and may be a bit responsive to temperature.

I removed the gummy stuff, and used Acraglas to re-bed the lug, and the barrel nut. I also bedded the tang, as my stock wanted to shift the barrel alignment to one side of the barrel channel, and by first bedding the tang I realigned the barrel in the channel. (I used a shim to orient the barrel in the middle of the channel).
Then I bedded the recoil lug forward of the bedding block to the front of the barrel nut, being careful not to bond the bedding block/magaziine box in place.

The Acraglas bedding gives me a very stable and positive feel when tightening the middle screw, as the force is spread over a much larger area.

That said, I don't think the effort is critical, except for giving the rifle a more durable area to tighten the screw. My main purpose was to get the barrel to sit in the middle of the barrel channel.

So, can it be done? Of course. Do you need to do it, probably not.

If you have the time, could you please upload some photos for the bedding job you have on your rifle? I am thinking of buying a .308 Patriot and I would like to bed it but I am a bit foggy about how to go about it. My main concern is the magazine box being used as a bedding block. I have not been able to get my hands on one to take a look at this in person and would really appreciate it if you uploaded photos.

Thanks for the info on this post, by the way, I was wondering if the factory bedding of the Patriot was an issue for glass bedding.

I bought two Patriot'sin the past year. one with a plastic stock I replaced with wood right away and the other with a wood stock. I generally bed every new rifle I get but neither of these needed it. The wood one I replaced the plastic one even showed no sign of needing bedded. One I only shoot cast bullet's in and get 1 1/2" 100 yds, think I'll leave it alone. The other, a 243 group's 70gr SMK's just over 1/2" @ 100yds. Can't bring myself to touch either. But I had thought about it and I'd planned on putting release agent under the plastic and putting bedding on the wood.

At the same time I asked the Forum, I asked also the Mossberg Customer Service.
This is what they answered:
"Thank you for your e-mail. The action screws for the Patriot should be torqued at 25 in/lbs. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.(...)"

So, I believe that this should be what they say. Sufficient to hold, not enough to compress the wood and create a stress in a wooden stock.

Now: Slightly broader question:
Did anybody bed the action? or bed the recoil lag? My rifle is new. 40 rounds, so far. It seems nice and sturdy. So, is it worthy to do action bedding?

You'll compress the plastic trigger guard long before you compress the wooden stock. Been there, done that. Backed off to 25# and everything is fine. For the most part after getting two of these this year I think they are a super deal. But I would like to find an after market steel trigger guard and I have the feeling that blue loctite should be used. Other than that, not one complaint at this time, very nice rifle!

Back