• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Night Vision Scopes/Optics

I ended up getting the ATN x sight in 6-18 power.

It's way too much magnification for where/how I hunt though.

In general, I like the optic despite my biggest gripe is the focus at different distances, but I'd trade the 6x for a 3x without hesitation.

I'd say I'd have to have at least the 6x to get out to as far as I need to. If it goes to 18 that's even better, it would open up my options.

Then perhaps it is a 5-20. My bad.

That's it.

Here's where I am on my thoughts.

I think for all the ATN offers (I can't even remember everything it does, it's crazy, seriously) it's priced relatively reasonable. Relatively. My only issue is finding an IR source that can actually light the sight up at the range it's capable of reaching with the magnification. Whether 14x or 18x at the top end depending on the model, I'm not yet sure the IR output is enough. Another IR light might be needed and I've still got some investigating to do. I'd really like this though because my youngest could watch on the iPad and see what I'm seeing via Bluetooth.

There is another option. It's a little less expensive and with few extras. It would be easier if I had a Remington 700 or M40A5. But even with a Savage there are some options.

The Bushnell has some video/audio/recording capabilities. It lacks a lot when compared to the ATN but it's half the cost. Then for mounting to a bolt action, one either need something like the Badger Ordnance EFR (that's $$$!) and quite a bit of work. And a new stock. Just that would over the cost of the ATN. Or there's another option. A receiver mounted one piece picatinny rail that cantilevers over the barrel. It steps down to allow room for the scope objective bell and extends out long enough to mount something like the Bushnell Equinox. The Bushnell has some magnification and is a day/night optic with no reticle of its own. But the IR illuminator is said to be good to 750'. For some reason I was thinking I needed half that but duh, I'm hoping for 200 yards which is 600'. It would mean new rings too and trying to keep everything as low as possible.

In truth, I may be dreaming about yet another project which i can't do anytime soon, lol. But I like dreaming and right now I'm looking for ways to expand my hunting and ways that help me include my youngest. Of the two I've mentioned here, the ATN is definitely more interactive.

IMG_1742.JPG IMG_1749.JPG

As I go, my thinking changes and evolves as I discover other means of making this work.

Some of the evolution is based on my older daughter mentioning she'd like to hook me up with night vision for my birthday. For the price, ATN has the most to offer. Range estimating, auto record, wifi link, Bluetooth link, and more.

However, I'm looking at a couple other things. Some of this is based on a lot of insight @John A. has helped with. Like IR intensity and wash out. I had hoped on achieving a 200 yard set up but I don't think it's going to happen. Additionally, I've always wanted to keep my Redfield Revolution scope. I like it. It's simple, American made, and it's a really nice usable reticle. It doesn't have all the features of higher end scopes but it's perfectly functional.

So I'm going to show y'all a few things I've found that could make this a reality.

IMG_1970.PNG IMG_1968.PNG IMG_1969.PNG IMG_1971.PNG

So in order, these are all sightmark products. The first is the 1x Ghost Hunter which is said to be made to work with a traditional day time scope. This's has been confirmed via email with a Sightmark rep. Second is a Sightmark "clip on" style device that comes with several different sized rings to fit various sized objectives including the 40mm of my Redfield. This puts the IR device infront of the scope. The rep says this is good to go. The third is like a picatinny/weaver cantilever mount to use the IR device behind the scope. Still waiting on word as to whether or not this is viable in my case. (If anyone can shed some light on this set up, please jump in) The fourth item pictured is a Sightmark IR illuminator that is adjustable from flood to spot. I think having this mounted pretty far forward on the rifle could be pretty useful and the rep says the spot on this can reach 100 yards.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Il just add a little food for thought have gone through this evolution several years ago. Let me preface i love to save a dollar when i can and i have zero brand loyalty i simply like things that work and are durable. For example i will buy a clone in a heartbeat if proven to function and durable i can take ribbing from my brand loyal friends and give it back in silence when i smoke their ass for half the cost. Anyway there is a HUGE did I say Huge jump in satisfaction from a gen 1 night vision device and a gen 2. Not so much from gen 2 to gen 3. Several years ago when i finally bought my final device i found then gen 2 to be the sweet spot between price and performance i feel that still holds true today. I actually wemt with a gen 2+ you can read up on what the plus does slightly different. My purchase hurt a little at the time and caused a bit of friction on homefront. Was it worth it ? Oh heck yes. Still going strong after a lot of hard use. I personally like the dedicated night rifle not that i dont see the need or utility of a combo i do understand. But for me a dedicated rig has been excellent tool for a specific purpose. Do i like multitools yes i have a sog multitool for 27 years now BUT given the choice when needed i use an actual set of pliers and an actual knife the multitool has both but the dedicated are better imho. To get something that does everything will require some compromise which may be fine depending on situation. Just my experience and what works for me. Everyone needs and situation is different.

This thread. Hurts my wallet. And my marriage.

And I'm loving it.
Full disclosure take for what its worth. Rifle and scope in case in gun room never let me down always ready to perform never says no. Wife hmm well she turned into an ex wife.

Final thought i just did the math.
Ive had my Trident Pro 2 Plus for just about 5 years its given much pleasure. My cost about 1 dollar a day all of us deserve one dollar a day. Use the reduction to the ridiculous sales method.
Also i watched some video on the ATN X site. It looks very good at an excellent price if the video footage ive seen is good representation of what you get. I would venture to say that may be the way to go whole lot of features i dont currently have for substantially less dollars.

Last edited:
Yeah that Trident is t going to happen. My daughter wants to be able to make it happen and was stressing over the $500 price tag so $1500 is definitely out. But I like it! :)

I'm not looking for a dedicated night gun. What I want is the multi tool. I want to keep my scope and this set up I think allows me to do that without even replacing mounts or bases. Unless I can find a way to do a flip to side mount on this...

I had really wanted the ATN especially for being able to Bluetooth sync while hunting with my youngest but I don't think that's gonna happen unless my older daughter decides to ask for more investors to go in on one gift. She doesn't want to though. That being the case, if she's still interested, I can keep the cost down this way.

I dunno, I'll talk to her more when I see her again. I do think this is a decent option. It gives me more night time hunting options.

As I go, my thinking changes and evolves as I discover other means of making this work.

Some of the evolution is based on my older daughter mentioning she'd like to hook me up with night vision for my birthday. For the price, ATN has the most to offer. Range estimating, auto record, wifi link, Bluetooth link, and more.

However, I'm looking at a couple other things. Some of this is based on a lot of insight @John A. has helped with. Like IR intensity and wash out. I had hoped on achieving a 200 yard set up but I don't think it's going to happen. Additionally, I've always wanted to keep my Redfield Revolution scope. I like it. It's simple, American made, and it's a really nice usable reticle. It doesn't have all the features of higher end scopes but it's perfectly functional.

So I'm going to show y'all a few things I've found that could make this a reality.

View attachment 16239 View attachment 16240 View attachment 16241 View attachment 16242

So in order, these are all sightmark products. The first is the 1x Ghost Hunter which is said to be made to work with a traditional day time scope. This's has been confirmed via email with a Sightmark rep. Second is a Sightmark "clip on" style device that comes with several different sized rings to fit various sized objectives including the 40mm of my Redfield. This puts the IR device infront of the scope. The rep says this is good to go. The third is like a picatinny/weaver cantilever mount to use the IR device behind the scope. Still waiting on word as to whether or not this is viable in my case. (If anyone can shed some light on this set up, please jump in) The fourth item pictured is a Sightmark IR illuminator that is adjustable from flood to spot. I think having this mounted pretty far forward on the rifle could be pretty useful and the rep says the spot on this can reach 100 yards.

Thoughts? Ideas?
My apologies i ramble at times.
Simple honest answer delete all of this from your amazon cart bite the bullet one time and get the ATN X sight youll be happy longtime instead of dissapointed.

This is what the ATN would look like on my rifle. I have the same rifle actually.

IMG_1851.JPG

Well, after much consideration and taking in to account all the advice, I'll hold out for the ATN Xsight. My daughter had said she was trying to have about $800 to spend and I told her it wasn't that much and I think she'll ask a couple others to go in on it.

I keep coming back to the ATN. I really want to keep my scope but I think to make it run with the kind of clarity the ATN has, it's going to cost more than a grand and probably close to 2k.

So, I'll do the ATN (eventually) with the EGW HD rail and probably the Sightmark adjustable illuminator on a forward mount.

Final answer.

Well bring the fam on down and we'll do some coyote hunting.

Back