• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stippling for 590 Magpul Forend

Has anyone had their Magpul forend stippled? I really like mine, but when it's hot out and my hands are sweaty it's a bit slippery. I've emailed a couple guys who offer Glock frame stippling to ask if they would do a 590 forend but never heard back.

Is this for wood, or plastic?

OK, scratch that. Didn't see where you had written magpul.

I stipple my magpul stuff with either a soldering iron, or wood burner. It's real simple. Just takes a little time.

Plenty of youtube videos if you want fancy patterns.

Myself, I think the soldering iron in the low spots of the forend just poked down slightly into the pattern is the best. Don't have to worry about it being slippery.

Like this:

Last edited:
Is this for wood, or plastic?

OK, scratch that. Didn't see where you had written magpul.

I stipple my magpul stuff with either a soldering iron, or wood burner. It's real simple. Just takes a little time.

Plenty of youtube videos if you want fancy patterns.

Myself, I think the soldering iron in the low spots of the forend just poked down slightly into the pattern is the best. Don't have to worry about it being slippery.

Those are good how-to videos. I have a dedicated soldering tip just for this type of stuff. I do quite a bit of soldering in my other hobbies (radio, GPS, RaspberryPi, Stratux, etc). No way I want Magpul's polymer contaminating my solder joints.

No1Buck - I highly encourage you to give it a try. It's pretty simple stuff and can be very rewarding. If you want something less permanent, you can always try a few strategically placed pieces of Talon grip tape.

I actually have a spare Magpul forend laying around. I'll be out of town for a few weeks, but I think I'll stipple it when I get back. I'll upload pics when I do.

Last edited:
No way I want Magpul's polymer contaminating my solder joints.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

If you are worried that you're going to have a little polymer on your tip, that's easy to remedy with some sandpaper or smooth/fine file.

I really wish I could get some snapshots of my middy AR handguard because it turned out really nice. But I don't have access to it at the moment.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

If you are worried that you're going to have a little polymer on your tip, that's easy to remedy with some sandpaper or smooth/fine file.

I really wish I could get some snapshots of my middy AR handguard because it turned out really nice. But I don't have access to it at the moment.

Just my own pedantic solder habits. I go so far as to wipe my solder wire with alcohol prep pads before using it to remove as much oxidation/contaminants as possible from the surface of the solder. It's how I was trained, so it's part of my routine. I can imagine my instructor whacking me on the back of the head if he caught me melting plastic with my iron.

I just bought some adhesive grip tape and cut them to size to be placed on the low spots on my magpul forend. Has a softer rubberized texture and adds a decent amount of traction for me to grip to when shucking the forend. The stuff I bought was meant for adding traction to stairs. Made sure to clean the surface and warm it up a little bit with a heat gun and apply pressure to get a good bond while applying the tape. came out great.

Snapped these real quick before I headed out to work.
36611208452_07fb37658f.jpg

36384170900_eb53a52d5e.jpg

That looks good.

Hopefully the adhesive will hold up well.

Back