• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

715T Flash Hiders/Suppressor/Barrel Threading

715 or 10/22, the model/brand really doesn't matter.

Check your barrel outer diameter and compare to the specs of the brake you like. Manufacturer specs should tell you what barrel diameter each brake is made to fit...

Hey I just got the carry handle version of the 715T and one of the first things I did was cut off the handle and got some aluminium and drilled and counter sunk some screws into it. I than got some extra rail I had sitting around. But anyways I have a M14x1mm LH thread alignment tool along with the M14x1mm LH die to use with my compensator. My question is the barrel seems to be a bit larger than the die. Does this mean I have to take it to a gunsmith to turn it down just enough to get the die to start or is there another way to do it? I did see there is a tool I could buy to do it (Rotabroach cutter) but is it even worth the cost of it to buy that?

Most likely. Especially if there is a taper in the barrel.

There is a minimum and a maximum diameter that will work (called major and minor).

That gives you the clearance for the thread depth and the outside diameter, which would be the ouside edge of the thread.

14-1 lh is typically the threading that an AK47 uses. Not saying you COULDN'T use it on a 22lr, but that is typically what is on combloc guns.

Most likely. Especially if there is a taper in the barrel.

There is a minimum and a maximum diameter that will work (called major and minor).

That gives you the clearance for the thread depth and the outside diameter, which would be the ouside edge of the thread.

14-1 lh is typically the threading that an AK47 uses. Not saying you COULDN'T use it on a 22lr, but that is typically what is on combloc guns.

Thanks for the response, I bought the 14-1 LH kit awhile ago when I did my SKS and I also did my 22LR Savage 64 with it as well. My Savage was easy to do myself because the kit fit perfectly for it but I guess the mossberg is just about a millimeter or so bigger then the die it's self.

So I guess new question now is can I remove just the barrel and bring it to a guy I know with a machine shop and have him turn down the front of it to be threaded or does it have to go to a gunsmith?

If the guy you know is competent and can use his lathe to turn it down, and it will fit through his spindle, then yes, it can be done on a lathe.

If it won't fit through his spindle (too large of a barrel diameter) then the barrel will have to be removed and a large lathe will have to be used and put between centers.

My lathe, despite being only a 7x12 bed will turn barrels up to a hair over .750" in diameter with the receiver attached through the spindle allowing me a lot more versatility.

Since I have purchased my lathe, I have threaded nearly every barrel that I own.

While your friend has it chucked up and turned down in his lathe, why not ask him if he can single point cut the threads? That will be a lot more precise than trying to use a hand die.

And just to mention, would allow you to use the correct 1/2-28 thread pitch that 22's should be in the first place because I think you're going down the wrong rabbit hole trying to use a 14-1 on it.

I get it that you already own the 14-1 die set and yes it will work but you'll be painting yourself in a corner by doing so, and this is probably one of the few times when I'll say that a job worth doing, is worth doing right the first time.

Nevertheless, here are the major and minor numbers you'll need to know for the 14-1 if you go that route. Scroll down until you find the 14-1 column

https://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadmf.htm

So just curious, in order to remove the barrel from the receiver is it just the 2 pins holding in the barrel? Or is there something else I have to remove before I can fully remove the barrel?

Back