• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another shockwave Thread, well sorta

Komodoj

.270 WIN
vHlLQv.jpg
Here is my most recent build. Started off life a a PGO Receiver, Crafted a 9” Barrel and matching mag tube, added a Sb pistol tube and a SB Sig brace(not pictured yet) with whole package with the tube I get 27.3” which puts me in legal limits and is “NOT” classified an AOW OR SBS(Before anyone asks) I work part time for a SOT 07/02 so I’m very fluent on all the laws. This is like a replica of the Black Aces DT but a 1/4 the price. still have a lot of work to do on it (Cerakote and final fitment) but I think it looks pretty neat? Just wanted to share what can be done if you stick with a PGO and stay in the required 26+ parameters of overall length. Seems like I’m my build the shortest barrel I can go with was 9”. Anything shorter and I’d be in NFA JAIL!!!

Long as it's above the minimum length, that's all that matters.

Good job on the build.

Long as it's above the minimum length, that's all that matters.

Good job on the build.

Yes sir. And thank you. Something that I love about a mossy Shotgun!!! Still a long way to go. I plan on shooting my stock pile of Aguila mini shells. All I can get in the tube is maybe, just maybe 3, 2-3/4 shells and maybe 6 mini shells.

Yes sir. And thank you. Something that I love about a mossy Shotgun!!! Still a long way to go. I plan on shooting my stock pile of Aguila mini shells. All I can get in the tube is maybe, just maybe 3, 2-3/4 shells and maybe 6 mini shells.

That's gotta be some sort of record for the shortest action tube and corncob on a pump. Love the build and keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's gotta be some sort of record for the shortest action tube and corncob on a pump. Love the build and keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I actually have like three different barrel and forend combinations. Just can’t pick the one that best suits me/shotty. But as far as all you and I know the only one I have is in the picture.......(Case the wife is reading this thread shhhhhh) lol

That looks a lot better. Nice uniform finish.

A Magpul K2 grip may be more comfortable (and overmolded) since the angle is straighter and more akin to a pistol than the standard AR15 grip.

Your project gun turned out really nice. Good job.

That looks a lot better. Nice uniform finish.

A Magpul K2 grip may be more comfortable (and overmolded) since the angle is straighter and more akin to a pistol than the standard AR15 grip.

Your project gun turned out really nice. Good job.

Thank you sir. Yeah I will definatley try out the Magpul. Just have to be careful of what I bring in and how fast I do it. Wife’s been monitoring me more lately. Lol

I was a little disappointed that when I got the barrel and mag tube back from the Cerkoter it had a “Prickly” type texture to it. I emailed him and he said just take a 0000 steel wool to it and buff it lightly. My question to him was “Why”??? Where was the quality control and why do I the end user have to do the labor?? Is it normal to have a little texture or should it be as smooth as a baby’s but?? Idk this is my first Cerakote dealing?

I was a little disappointed that when I got the barrel and mag tube back from the Cerkoter it had a “Prickly” type texture to it. I emailed him and he said just take a 0000 steel wool to it and buff it lightly. My question to him was “Why”??? Where was the quality control and why do I the end user have to do the labor?? Is it normal to have a little texture or should it be as smooth as a baby’s but?? Idk this is my first Cerakote dealing?

What specific cerakote color did you choose? Some might be smoother than others? John A. used to cerakote, so I'm curious to know his opinion. From my own personal experience, the charcoal black has a rougher finish on my 500 than the burnt bronze on my Shockwave. Same person did both jobs for me, so I assume the prepwork and spraying was done with the same attention to quality.

Socom blue was the color and the company was MSG UNLIMITED. They got good reviews. So I said what the heck. I used some steel wool like he said and it all smoothed out but again why do I have to do the end process???

It won't be smooth as a babies butt.

But can vary a little because it's dependent on the air pressure and the spray gun you're using and how far away you're holding it while spraying. Even heat and humidity if it's real hot when you're trying to spray if it tries to dry before it contacts the part. All of which can effect the end result.

However, I don't think it should be prickly either.

Perhaps if someone sandblasted it, maybe they didn't clean it right afterwards and before painting ?????

Their airbrush may have been partially clogged and it was trying to throw the clots and an "orange peel" texture?????

Also, DarkPassenger is correct that the black color has more pigment in it. And is a slightly rougher texture than FDE for instance.

Very acute observation.

Cerakote or most any firearm finish won't be as smooth as a nice paint job on a new car. The paint is made different. But shouldn't really be prickly feeling either.

It won't be smooth as a babies butt.

But can vary a little because it's dependent on the air pressure and the spray gun you're using and how far away you're holding it while spraying. Even heat and humidity if it's real hot when you're trying to spray if it tries to dry before it contacts the part. All of which can effect the end result.

However, I don't think it should be prickly either.

Perhaps if someone sandblasted it, maybe they didn't clean it right afterwards and before painting ?????

Their airbrush may have been partially clogged and it was trying to throw the clots and an "orange peel" texture?????

Also, DarkPassenger is correct that the black color has more pigment in it. And is a slightly rougher texture than FDE for instance.

Very acute observation.

Cerakote or most any firearm finish won't be as smooth as a nice paint job on a new car. The paint is made different. But shouldn't really be prickly feeling either.

More I think about it I’m getting pist. The barrel and tube were shipped back to me with one piece of tape holding the box together and then there’s the Prickly finish. The company emailed me back and said send it back and they will re do it. I said I’m not gonna spend another $20 to ship it back. They replied “Well it’s your call”. My question is. Where is there quality control as there a Certified Cerakoter? Shouldn’t they pay for return shipping? Do I become an A$$ and slam there company on google or just tuck my tail between my legs and just deal with it??? :-((((

Without being able to feel what you're feeling with your hands, I can't make the determination how you should proceed.

Judging from what I can SEE in the photo's, I don't see any "orange peel" and I can't see any rough texture.

From what I can see, looks pretty good.

Without being able to feel what you're feeling with your hands, I can't make the determination how you should proceed.

Judging from what I can SEE in the photo's, I don't see any "orange peel" and I can't see any rough texture.

From what I can see, looks pretty good.

Sent you a PM with better pics of what I’m referring to and threw a magnifying glass?

I got your email and replied back.

Back