• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting slugs through chokes

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It has came up many times where someone has asked "can I shoot a slug through this choke or that choke?".

And I have seen a LOT of answers, including on this forum.

A while back, I saw this video and planned to embed it here because it answers that question and is the best explanation that I have seen.

Fast forward to 2:00 to get to the meat of the answer

This video was probably the best explanation I've ever seen on the subject.

In a project that I recently have began measuring for, I realized that my 1989 Remington barrel with a cylinder choke, which has apparently seen its' fair share of slugs through it, has actually opened up to what would equate to be a NEGATIVE choke. It is currently .740" at the muzzle.

Paul Harrel has a lot of good videos on it too. I have a 500 20 gauge with what was a 28" barrel that was modified to be 19" barrel and I tried shooting slugs out of it and they were way off aim- I wondered if the whole barrel was tapered or just the end where a choke would have been. Or maybe it's just me. :) I don't even think I have a bead on that barrel.

He has some good videos. I like his honest and down to earth style. He keeps things simple and honest. Sometimes funny too.

I love watching his stuff. He’s so modest and nonchalant about his videos/ he does testing like I like too- probable accuracy at expected range of fire, and what to expect at greater distances etc. he has great videos and they’re all what everyone is thinking... I like the “this caliber vs that caliber- is it just hype or really worth while to switch?” “How good is a Taurus judge really? Is it worth the money?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His "How to spot a fake expert" video is funny and truthful at the same time. If you haven't seen it, look it up.

I really like his videos. Very down-to-earth easy to listen to, half the time he will go on for almost a half an hour and you don't even realize it. Very dry, but very funny. I like the approach of, this is my experience this is what I do, but your results May vary.and, don't try this at home, I'm what you call a professional. Haha

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

One thing which has always puzzled me is a similar question; Can unrifled slugs be shot through smoothbore barrels?

You'd assume that the answer is yes, but that it's merely pointless to do so since there's nothing to stabilize the slug. However, certain manufacturers such as Brenneke say that it shouldn't be done at all, without really explaining why. They make it sound as if it is dangerous to do so.

One thing which has always puzzled me is a similar question; Can unrifled slugs be shot through smoothbore barrels?

You'd assume that the answer is yes, but that it's merely pointless to do so since there's nothing to stabilize the slug. However, certain manufacturers such as Brenneke say that it shouldn't be done at all, without really explaining why. They make it sound as if it is dangerous to do so.

You can shoot unrifled slugs through smoothbores.

The Lee slug mold for example, have no external grooves. And is quite accurate out to moderate distances.

Further, they sit in the shot cup and don't even make contact with the inside of the barrel, much like how sabot slugs work.

Lee_DK.jpg

Yes. I killed 5 deer in 5 shots from over 40 yards with a 20 ga Mossberg. C-Lect adjustable choke set to I/C. From all I've read, I/C is the recommended choke setting for most slugs. This includes the choke tubes also.

Back