• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Quick Shockwave 12 Ga. Write-up

Which 2-3/4" shells are you using? They're not all created equal.

Before I forget, welcome to Mossberg owners.

Thanks! I used some Federal low-recoil 00 Buck and some S&B #1 Buck. I also tried some Federal #7 Birdshot.

The biggest issue I found was the pump strap cutting up my hands because of rough edges.

The Minishells were the #1/#4 buckshot combo and literally a blast!

Last edited:
Nice write up sir.

As far as the strap cutting your hand, I reversed the strap attachment so the screws and end of strap are on the outside of where your hand is. Therefore, no more problem with the strap.

Welcome to the Mossberg Forum.

Pretty good thinking Craig.

I'm not entirely certain I wouldn't have taken the strap off altogether.

If you didn't have a strap you would have to hold onto the foregrip tighter. I don't believe the foregrip was meant for anything other than a safety device invented by a Mossberg lawyer. So change your technique and slide your hand back a little bit, away from the edge of the strap, and hold on tighter to the foregrip. Problem solved. Good luck.

Nice write up sir.

As far as the strap cutting your hand, I reversed the strap attachment so the screws and end of strap are on the outside of where your hand is. Therefore, no more problem with the strap.

I used nail clippers on mine..the corners were very sharp. Now..very smooth, cant feel a thing.

Nice review! Thanks! And, thanks to the other posters who suggested fixes for the sharp corners on the forend s trap!

I have a Maverick88 12 ga and love it. But, my EXCITEMENT over the SW20 I picked up yesterday is what motivated me to find this forum. Within 5 minutes of joining, I found two ways to solve the issue of that forend sling cutting into my hand! Hickok45 wrapped tape around his, but I like the ideas of either reversing that strap or taking fingernail clippers to it. Mrgunsngear had a pic in his SW review video of a hand (what was left of it), that had slipped off the grip and flown in front of the barrel (YIKES), so removing it was NOT an option.

With luck, I'll take it to the range next week and break it in. I haven't been this excited about a firearm in a LONG time! Pics will be coming soon!

Awesome.

We're glad you joined and look forward to hearing what you think about the gun.

Thanks for that tip. I just reversed the strap on my SW, also. Hope to get some range time in, this week.

Nice write up sir.

Thanks for the tip. I reversed the strap - problem solved!

I don't have any issues with recoil when using my Shockwave. I just pull the trigger then let go of it. No kick at all. Just a kinda sick joke. The SW is a firearm to be highly respected and a lot of practice and use is in order to either get comfortable with it or get rid of it. I don't think the 12ga. is for everyone. Getting comfortable with it means different things to different people. The front strap doesn't bother me. I did put some Talon grip matl. on my grip but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have some 3" magnum buckshot that is downright brutal. It's Winchester 00 made some time back in history. Not something I would use for SD.

Hey Frogdog,
I haven't been around here in a long time. If I may chime in.....
I got a chuckle when you said you "pull the trigger and then let go...." I watched a girl shoot a Maverick pistol grip 12 ga. and she did just that. The gun flew behind her about 8 feet before landing on the ground. I have always shot 2 3/4's in mine, never having a desire to shoot 3". I've read where others verify your impression of "brutal", so I just never went there. My X-wife was brutal enough.:hrc: I don't shoot the Shockwave much these days, but it sits next to my bed every night, along with a few other favorites. I don't need all that hardware near the bed, but I feel cozy knowing they are there. I like your signature.

Hey Frogdog,
I haven't been around here in a long time. If I may chime in.....
I got a chuckle when you said you "pull the trigger and then let go...." I watched a girl shoot a Maverick pistol grip 12 ga. and she did just that. The gun flew behind her about 8 feet before landing on the ground. I have always shot 2 3/4's in mine, never having a desire to shoot 3". I've read where others verify your impression of "brutal", so I just never went there. My X-wife was brutal enough.:hrc: I don't shoot the Shockwave much these days, but it sits next to my bed every night, along with a few other favorites. I don't need all that hardware near the bed, but I feel cozy knowing they are there. I like your signature.

Thanks, Rico. I haven't been here long either. My sense of humor gets "out there" so I try to keep it in check. You should do some 3" just to know what they're like. Not all of it is the same in recoil. I have some very old paper Winchester 3" 00 buck that may be older than me. They didn't hold back on ammo back then. It is truly brutal stuff. The SW does take a lot of time, money (ammo), and practice to get used to.....if you ever do. Actually, I think my Mini-14 is a better home defense gun where I live. It will put lead down range fast. Not an AR person at all. Been there, done that and didn't like the experience. Ride on....

Back