• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

In-Extremis Medical Class Review

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
I was fortunate enough to take MDTS' (www.mdtstraining.com) first offering of the In-extremis medical course. It was a 3 hour extreme medical block which covers extreme wound issues.

Half the class dedicated to classroom instruction and the second half dealt with hands on approach which covered self medical treatment of the use of a tourniquet and then applications to someone else, wound packing techniques and wound dressings. Excellent class which was primarily instructed by EJ Weeks. A beneficial course for anyone to help assist those around you especially those you love. Knowing what to do in extreme cases where high loss of blood is an issue can be the tipping point between life and death until medical professionals arrive. I recommend courses like this highly.

Notes after:
upgrade my tourniquet
look into petroleum impregnated gauze
invest in an Israeli bandage
look into a yoga block for practice
practice often and provide my new knowledge to my family

39717663195_6d15e72047_k.jpg

I was blessed and very fortunate that I had a Mom who was an RN.

She taught us kids good. This being one of them.

Even today, I still learn important things from her.

I was blessed and very fortunate that I had a Mom who was an RN.

She taught us kids good. This being one of them.

Even today, I still learn important things from her.

It's interesting how the thought process on tourniquet usage has changed. Now it's preferred for severe bleeding on limbs instead of wasting time trying to pack the wound. This saves time, loss of blood and the limb can be saved up to 8+ hours.

It's interesting how the thought process on tourniquet usage has changed. Now it's preferred for severe bleeding on limbs instead of wasting time trying to pack the wound. This saves time, loss of blood and the limb can be saved up to 8+ hours.
This still under the premise that if a tourniquet is used, then you can expect to lose the limb?

The way that I was told to do it, loosen occasionally to allow some circulation.

By then, you can have it packed, kwik clot, whatever in the meantime.

Once bleeding is controlled, or at least somewhat controlled, the tourniquet has already served its' purpose.

A tourniquet is only used at the beginning of first aid treatment, or in the case of an cut artery/severe and uncontrolled bleeding.

Worst case scenario, carterize (sp?) the wound. But as a last resort.

This still under the premise that if a tourniquet is used, then you can expect to lose the limb?

The information provided was that theres a severe bleeding incident the tourniquet will increase survival tremendously and loss of limb is not a huge factor with advances in medical treatment.

No releasing the tourniquet until the victim is in the hospital under a surgeon's care.

Emt won't touch it as long as bleeding has stopped.

Back