• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK's and variants part 2

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Since photobucket has bombed so many of the previous posts in the AK's and variants part 1 topic, I wanted to start a new topic and encourage you to directly upload the pictures to the website rather than being extorted from greedy and hostile outside companies.

The previous topic has a lot of great discussion and several photos are still being shown if you'd like to look through it here:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/ak47-and-variants.640/

In the meantime, here's a photo to get this topic started:

Russian_AK_schem.jpg

That‘s my AK variant pics I have.
1. A birthday gift from my netter half ;-)
2. Actual version for every day
3. naked
4. naked
5. 100 yards and more
6. „Mr. White“ my scottish houseguard
7. Surplus ;-)

9241EA3D-D7DD-4E0A-9FBB-94D5F85F5FE9.jpeg 492F4F13-1552-4C1B-9ECE-9AEFF94AE170.jpeg FAA62D58-78E8-421A-BB5F-863515355547.jpeg C333CBA0-19FA-41BD-991D-6FE8686F134C.jpeg 2DE4AC3F-696D-46E3-8E92-580B3BD89813.jpeg 543B467F-99A3-4696-A649-A73CC52DE1A9.jpeg 3AAD5A79-EC52-4E7F-9F7B-5FBE6B328B11.jpeg

EzuchWZ.jpg

zJ2vLtD.jpg

mHdh99v.jpg

Azx8KXw.jpg

Talk about a clean and barely used kit. Check this out.

kw5UR6L.jpg

GI3Pqqs.jpg

TjcoLsz.jpg

WwosBrZ.jpg

Still need to ream out the trigger/hammer holes a hair, and I may install a side mount rail sometime, but for all intents and purposes, barring any major unforeseen issues, she's pretty much done.

Not too shabby considering it was a box of old parts collecting dust a month ago.

I don't expect that I'll ever do another one though. It may not look like it, but there is a surprising amount of time and work in this one.

B888JCJ.jpg

sI026Ib.jpg

sSqNsEU.jpg

NqCRy56.jpg

A guy at work is building them from scratch , it’s a considerable effort to build one .....

Yeah, it may not look it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have 20 hours into it. Probably a little more.

Granted some of that is me making my own jigs and stuff to work on it with because I wasn't set up for anything like this, but it was a challenging build for sure.

This is the rear trunion jig I made so I could line up and mill the holes in the rear trunion to match what was on the previous/existing receiver.

UrnGiRB.jpg

I was just using the original demilled scrap piece of receiver while fitting it so the new receiver and the trunion would line up right and so they would be straight with each other and be flush in the back where the buttstock starts and so it would be straight.

The jig started out as nothing more than a scrap piece of wood that I sawed and milled and mostly just so I could clamp everything in place while I was drilling the holes.

0xX6euE.jpg

TvlbM9a.jpg

Awesome . Yeah this guy has half his garage taken up ..... the press needed is impressive , rivets ..... all that . It’s quite the process .

@JohnA. Love your work as always I was curious would you care to comment on those who say, AKs are so simple little kids in Africa make them with rocks and old license plates

Yeah, about that.

LOL

It probably wouldn't have been so bad marking out on a jig where to make the holes on everything.

The first time.

But going back having to reverse where those holes are exactly the second time so they align back up with the ones in the trunions that were drilled 30 years ago, which don't appear to ever be placed in the same place twice... now that was a bit of a challenge.

I'm not going to joke around, there is a lot of work putting one of these together. A whole lot more than I realized and I went into it having a pretty good idea what I was getting into.

It was one of those projects I've wanted to do since the 90's, but I'm glad that's behind me now. I don't plan to do another. And I'm glad I didn't try this 20 or 25 years ago when it first popped up on my radar to do. Back then I wouldn't have had the time, probably not the patience and know-how and certainly not the tools to have even completed it.

Sometimes it's better to wait, even though that's against human nature.

I suppose that could be said for a lot of things besides building guns too :)

Yeah, mine definately isn't starved of gas normally. With the suppressor, I think it slings the empty cases into low earth orbit somewhere.

edit: after watching the video, that gas block is almost just like how the FAL gas block is. At least in principle.

I definitely want to keep them in mind. Definitive arms from what I can tell is a top notch company. I may look into trying one out on one of my variants in the future.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Back