• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500B

Me either.

I know one of the members here has one.

I have a couple of 16's, which I love dearly, but I really don't know when Mossberg stopped making the 16 gauge variant. I would venture a guess around 1972.

That adjustable choke looks a lot like the one on my 16 pump. Except mine is also ported.

That's a really good price on that gun.

There is a 16g parts kit (everything minus the receiver) available. do the 16 and 12 share the same receiver?

Where is the kit at?

Far as I know, the receiver on both are the same, though I haven't been fortunate enough to pin one down side by side to see.

You lucky dog.

Where did you find it?

John A, I received the 500B. It is very nice, not perfect but as noted in the Gunbroker pix. Function is smooth and locks up tight. Ejects properly. Western North Carolina (where I live) has been hit with a lot of flooding and I have not had an opportunity to shoot it yet. I also have not took any pix yet but they are coming soon.

Glad you got it. My guess is that it'll serve you for a lifetime.

Well, after 5 months I finally got out to the range. The 500B shot well. I busted several clays with it; despite the fact I have not shot skeet in about a year to year and a half. I gave it a nice oil bath in Balistol before going back into the cabinet. I would like to do a pattern test next time. I tried uploading some pictures last night but finally gave up. Is there a trick to it?

Sounds like a good gun. I'm envious. I would love to add a 16 ga. mossy to my collection.

There is no trick to adding pictures on the forum. But the photo size is pretty small.

If you uploaded the picture to a photo hosting site (like imgur.com ) you can upload much larger pictures.

You can try one photo to see if it'll upload without timing out or being within the settings the administrator has set. If one will upload, the rest should. If one doesn't load, the setting is too high on the camera and you'll have to upload them to a photo hosting site. My Fujifilm camera that I use allows me to set the "size" of the picture and I have it set at the lowest one in order to be able to load them on the forum. The rest of the time, I use the photo hosting site.

I'm glad the Carlson choke did well. I'm using several of theirs in different guns right now. I can't say they're my all time favorite choke, but I do appreciate that they usually make something to fit about every different style choke that has been made over the years. If it weren't for them, I would never been able to change the ones in my newest semiauto.

What is your favorite choke?

The one that shoots the best of course.

I know that may sound like a smart-aleck reply, but it's not.

Wanna hear a funny story? I have a double barrel shotgun that has 2 different brand of chokes in it. And what's even funnier, one is an extended choke and the other is a flush.

Why? For the simple reason that is how it shoots the best.

8ptotaQ.jpg

I doubt that you'll find many 16 gauge chokes out there at all. But for your 12 gauges, kicks gobblin' turkey chokes do well. As have the HS Strut Undertaker chokes. Both of which cost about half what the Carlson chokes do. You can find them all day on ebay pretty cheap.

I have chokes from many different brands because I like to experiment with things. The ones that don't do as well for a particular shotgun or a particular shell, may work great in another. So, like many others here, I have gathered quite a few different chokes over the years.

And some types of hunting (grouse, pheasant or clays), you wouldn't want a really tight choke. For stuff like that, I prefer a modified or improved modified choke. Something that allows a little more spread.

So, my answer is going to be: "it depends". But it's always going to be "the one that shoots the best".

The 16g is fixed modified. My 12g is accu-choke. I was impressed with the tru-lock website but have not tried their products yet. I have used X-factor in the past but they are no longer in production. Is that a Silver Reserve in the picture?

Back