• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX tactical lever rifle

What ammo does it like best? I've only tried winchester and monarch.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Mine loves the Federal Blue box stuff. Mostly the 150gr but the 170gr runs well too. Both are consistent and very accurate. Everything else is terrible, particularly Core-Lokt. Could even hit paper at 100yrd with it.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Mine loves the Federal Blue box stuff. Mostly the 150gr but the 170gr runs well too. Both are consistent and very accurate. Everything else is terrible, particularly Core-Lokt. Could even hit paper at 100yrd with it.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
I see, I'll need to buy some of those rounds and give it a go.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I don't think I have shot federals from the .30-30.
I can't recall. What I have shot:

Winchester,
Remington,
Hornaday Whitetails
Hornaday Lever revolution
Fusion
Plus some random stuff we reloaded.

Fusion was the worst (many misfeeds) and Lever revolution the best (most accurate shooting.)

But I must now find some Federals to try.

I am quite happy with the Remington Core-Lokt and the Hornady WhiteTail. Although, I am currently working on rolling my own loads. simply to find out how accurate I can get at 100yds.

Had this pictured elsewhere, but I thought it belongs here. 34 my red/green dot sight, Folding foregrip, sling, but most important, the lever wrap. Much nicer on your hand. Helps to lever faster.

Attachments

• 2014-05-16 23.49.17.jpg
    2014-05-16 23.49.17.jpg
    891.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 2014-05-16 23.47.34.jpg
    2014-05-16 23.47.34.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2014-05-16 23.42.26.jpg
    2014-05-16 23.42.26.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2014-05-16 23.39.02.jpg
    2014-05-16 23.39.02.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 34
Had this pictured elsewhere, but I thought it belongs here. 34 my red/green dot sight, Folding foregrip, sling, but most important, the lever wrap. Much nicer on your hand. Helps to lever faster.

I`m not sure about the foregrip but overall I like it! Nicely done!

How do you get a good cheek weld with the red dot? Everything I put on mine is impossible as the stock sits too low for optics.

How do you get a good cheek weld with the red dot? Everything I put on mine is impossible as the stock sits too low for optics.
You can raise the comb on the stock. There are two screws on each side of the stock. Loosen them both. There's three settings to choose from. I believe that mine is raised to the highest point. Of course tighten the screws back, and done deal.

Yeah.. I tried that too.. .still too short for me. I'll take another look at it this weekend to double check .. .been awhile.

Ya know.. one think I like about this gun, besides being so ugly only a mother could love it.. is that it does carry short... compress the stock and it's fairly compact. I've been thinking about a long barreled truck gun for a variety of work reasons. I've considered my 500, buying something like a KSG or even a O/U coach gun, then lately I've been hot on building a .300 AR pistol. These are in addition to my EDC, which is typically an XDS45 or a SIG P320C. But I've always thought the SPX is compact enough to keep in a vehicle and even though it's 6 rds with even Federal 170gr at 2200 fps and 1800+ ft lbs... its a blunt force trauma gun for sure. Hornady's 160gr STX is hot enough to hit 2400 fps and 2046 ft lbs which makes for a devastating round. Other than simple backup though when will one really want a truck gun? Maybe a situation involving vehicles or larger barriers that you need to pound on?

Yeah.. I tried that too.. .still too short for me. I'll take another look at it this weekend to double check .. .been awhile.
It could be the scope that you are using, though I'm not exactly sure. I have a fairly big scope. Also it is pushed as far forward as possible, kind of like a scout rifle. I have seen other sights and scopes on other pics here though.

Thanks for the comments guys. Just got my spx back from the ex-wife. The guns action is still smooth. Points great. Hell the batteries still works in the sight. Hell yeah!!

It could be the scope that you are using, though I'm not exactly sure. I have a fairly big scope. Also it is pushed as far forward as possible, kind of like a scout rifle. I have seen other sights and scopes on other pics here though.
Hey. I found some cheap cheek raisers that snap right on our stocks. Just googled ar stocks with adjustable comb. Popped right up. $12 to $15!!

I have to share this with you guys!! I went shooting today. An old timer asked me what I was shooting. I told him a 30-30. I asked if he wanted to see it. He said sure. When I pulled out the Spx, he said "Oh. It's one of those." Meaning that it's modular. In my head, I was crying, laughing.

Back