• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul SGA stock vs Original Mossberg stock (felt recoil)

FYI, checking Magpul's fitment guide, it seems that the new product # is 10101 for the classic pad and 10805 for the airtech pad.

10100 seems to have been retired or replaced as a product.

You might still be able to get the 10100 at Mud Creek that I linked to on my previous post. If not, it looks like you are correct, the #10101 has replaced it.

You might still be able to get the 10100 at Mud Creek that I linked to on my previous post. If not, it looks like you are correct, the #10101 has replaced it.

I couldn't find any option to buy the recoil pad on Mud Creek's website.

Update: got all the parts in (SGA adaptor MAG 318, limbsaver pad 10101).

Everything is installed, and while I have yet to test out the new setup, I can already tell the new pad will feel much better on my shoulder relative to the Mossberg pad and Magpul pad on the SGA stock.

Everything looks pretty OEM too.

Now onto the bad:
  • Neither Limbsaver nor Magpul provided any screws or bolts to attach the limbsaver pad to the SGA adaptor kit. The screws in the original Magpul recoil pad don't fit (both into the holes of the adaptor or into the cut-out's on the limbsaver pad). I contacted Magpul and they told me to contact Limbsaver. Rather than play phone tag with two companies that seemed pretty lackadaisical about the lack of parts, I went to a hardware store and picked up some 3/4" long bolts (I forgot the exact diameter but its not hard to use trail and error to figure out what works). Even with the more appropriately-sized bolts, I still had to enlarge the cut-out's in the limbsaver pad with a drill in order to have the heads fit all the way down through the pad and secure to the SGA adaptor.
  • The Magpul SGA adaptor uses the same slothead cross-bolt as the original Magpul buttpad kit to secure to the SGA stock. The problem was that the new adaptor kit didn't allow the cross-bolt to fit all the way through. Upon some detailed inspection, it looked like the bolt was pushing and grinding into the adaptor kit material before it could reach and thread into the other side of the SGA stock. With some gentle shaving of the SGA adaptor kit and a bit of muscle in pushing the adaptor kt into the SGA stock, I was finally able to get the cross-bolt to pass all the way through and secure into the other side of the SGA stock.
  • Limbsaver pad feels a little flimsy. I know that it is meant to feel softer on the shoulder. The overall material does seem less robust to the pads used by Mossberg and Magpul. I have yet to do extensive shooting with this setup; time will tell how well the pad will hold up.
So, the two parts mentioned above will fit into the Mossberg 590 Magpul SGA stock, but for me at least, there was a bit of work and cussing involved. The overall fit and finish is good (minus the fitment issue with the cross-bolt); everything looks fairly OEM. But I am quite a bit disappointed with both companies: with Magpul and Limbsaver because neither wanted to take responsibility for providing recoil pad screws/bolts; and with Magpul again for having the fitment issue on the cross-bolt and the SGA adaptor.

The parts aren't expensive, but if companies are going to advertise that they are compatible with a certain shotgun, they really need to make sure they provide all the required parts and that the installation is relatively straightforward; they failed on both accounts.

But for an optimized LOP and good recoil pad mitigation, this is the only viable option I see for the Mossberg 500/590.

Back