• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

When you travel out of state, how do you select what SD gun(s) you will take with you?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
What I mean is, not so much the magazine capacity or the amount of ammo you drag along... or even your proficiency with a certain sidearm.

Do you consider taking something that didn't cost too much, or a gun you could do without if it was stolen or confiscated, or instead do you choose the better stuff that you own and to heck with the risks?

Lets use a scenario of driving to a big theme attraction with the family. During the days while you are there you have to either leave a pistol (or two) in the locked car, or in the hotel room in a dresser drawer.

How much are you willing to risk? Are there compromises, or are there no compromises?

It’s easy for me. I only have the one.

More to your point though, I had considered purchasing another gun that’s inexpensive and I wouldn’t mind losing if ever something happened. I’d still like another carry gun but for different reasons at this point.

But my belief is this. I’m not going to carry something I wouldn’t trust my life to. Right now that gun isn’t a small investment, mostly time but also in cash to a degree. I can’t imagine putting into it what I have, and then carry a lesser gun. So no matter the cost, I chose the gun I most trust. If it’s on the high end, it’s no comparison to the value of my loved ones.

I know that I am probably going to get some raised eyebrows with my answer, but to leave in the hotel room, I take a tomahawk.

Yes, I am very serious.

I don't know of any state that has banned them so you don't have to worry about CC laws, transporting them in the vehicle (and let's face it most states have different laws pertaining to where you can have a gun in a vehicle CCW holder or not.) magazine capacities and whatever other harassing gun laws that we owners have to deal with.

The last place a bad guy(s) that still has 2 brain cells to rub together will want to be is staring down a pissed off and probably naked indian in tight quarters yelling out with what may be his last war cry while being hacked into pieces.

Guns are fine and all, but even mythbusters have shown that within 15 feet, blades rule.

I basically carry what I carry. Current rotation ranges between $199 to $450. Id be surely butt hurt to lose any, but not financialy discombobulated. To answer Yes i suppose it does come into the equation at some point. Example, in my truck tool box lives a pump shotty fulltime. Hint it aint the beauty 1973 Wingmaster 20 bore. Its a weee bit cheaper and dressed in plastic so if some douche did steal it id be pissed but out very lil money.

I carry two 9s in the car wherever I travel. If i'm going to visit my sons in Nebraska I usually have a rifle or two in the trunk as we like to go target practice when I'm there.

This is pretty strange, but I too carry a tomahawk. I don't always pack a gun, but when I go that 'hawk is with me in my truck.

I have a collapsible tire checker and a knife in the car at all times. Never know when I'll need to check a tire .

jason-vs-machete.jpg

I carry the same stuff I carry everyday. I am usually traveling in 3 states everyday, so I have tailored my EDC to be legal in those 3 states. I occasionally travel to other states, and if at all possible, I drive so I can take my EDC with me. If I have to fly, a good folding knife, a good flashlight, and my S&W pen are what I count on.

When I travel, my EDC goes with me, at least traveling by car.
If we do fly and it is to my in-laws in TN, I leave my EDC at home and borrow a pistol from my Father in law to carry while down there.

Do you consider taking something that didn't cost too much, or a gun you could do without if it was stolen or confiscated, or instead do you choose the better stuff that you own and to heck with the risks?

I'm as simplistic as it gets. I carry a Glock. I can replace a Glock with another one and I wouldn't know the difference.

As for LTB45's flying, I won't fly into anyplace that has TSA around. Yep... that means no commercial airlines. The worst family situation that may require my immediate presence is less than $12,000 away by charter jet, so screw all you cattle. :)

Back