• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

romad

.22LR
I went to add an avatar and was told it had to be at least 200 x 200 pixels. So I chose one that met those requirements but when I tried to use it I was told there was a maximum 50 KB size!

Suggestion: The 50 KB size limitation should be listed WITH the pixel size on the first page.

Romad, good point.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Well, once I lowered the JPEG quality enough to get the size to 50KB, it uploaded just fine. I just thought that the avatar size requirements of 200 x 200 pixels minimum and a max of 50 KB should be shown together at the start.

It is the crest of the USAF Tactical Air Control Parties (TACP). It is worn on a shield-shaped flash of blue and green denoting "Air" & "Ground" respectively. The crest and flash are worn by the enlisted members of the TACP on black berets. TACP officers wear rank insignia in lieu of the crest. "ROMAD" was the original job title for the enlisted members of a TACP and stands for "Radio Operator, Maintainer, And Driver". Of my 22 years in the USAF, I was a ROMAD for 15 of them. TACPs are attached to armor, cavalry, and infantry units from battalion up through corps level. We are the Forward Air Controllers directing close air support air strikes in support of the army unit to which we are attached. I worked at cavalry squadron, armor battalion, and infantry brigade levels.

Thank you Romad, for that description. My dad was a forward combat air controller in Vietnam. I think I posted up a few of his old patches here.

Ground based I guess. I don't know what constitutes a FAST squad. They had a tent.

They had some sandbags and a hole for a bunker & a Quonset hut near the DMZ, somewhere out of Dong Ha.

As far as I can remember. Dad brought home shrapnel picked out of his canvass cot. They took irregular mortar fire.

I was just 9 when he left for Nam, but it was his 3rd war. It wasn't like close air support. They were bombing Hanoi.

Last edited:
OK, Ground FACs were like me on the ground with an Army unit. Air FACs were those that flew FAC aircraft (Cessna's O-1 Bird Dog, O-2 Skymaster & NA Rockwell's OV10 Bronco II) and directed airstrikes from them. Fast FAC's did the job while flying F-100 Super Sabres!

Hmm, looks like he was supporting ARVN units if this was around 1966. Air FACs also did that plus supported strikes in the Route Package 1 area just below the DMZ.

We were in some trailer park near Luke AFB when Dad came home . . . . winter of '66 I believe.

He was about 13 mos in-country with one R&R to Japan.

Well, once I lowered the JPEG quality enough to get the size to 50KB, it uploaded just fine. I just thought that the avatar size requirements of 200 x 200 pixels minimum and a max of 50 KB should be shown together at the start.

Ok after looking all around, there is this in our rules...

:link:

"IV. AVATAR GUIDELINES

NO images over 50 kilobytes or 90 x 90 pixels. (If you are unsure if your image qualifies, right-click on it and select "Properties" from the menu -- the size will be available there.)

If you fail to follow these guidelines your avatar will be removed. If a removed avatar is replaced with another infringing avatar the offending member is within grounds of having posting privileges temporarily suspended.

Note: If you wish to upload your avatar to the MossbergOwners.com server, please note that your avatar must be less than 50 kilobytes in file size or the server will not upload it."

And looking in the admin section, I don't have the necessary permissions to change them....:oops2:

OK. Now while that is all well and good, to bury size requirements in another place but NOT also put them in the logical location where they apply is a major oversight. I've been on several forums (I was even the SPAM Moderator on one) and the avatar size maximums were listed where a member set their avatar prominently or the forum had a process that reduced oversized avatars to a standard size.

Another thing is that the "90 x 90 pixels" mentioned in the rule is obviously outdated as in the Avatar Editor window, the recommended MINIMUM size is 200 x 200 pixels!

Since you can't change the text in the Avatar Editor window, who should I contact to suggest the 50KB file size limit also appear in it?

Back