• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Have you seen the price of live traps lately?

I think sportsmansguide are selling spring traps for ~$8 each. Unless you're wanting a grizzly trap, they're ~$175'ish IIRC.

@John A. Just saw this thread. We have used snares for yotes with good effect. I actually make my own relatively cheap. Im busy today but will send ya some pics and links. They are easy to make and transport and move etc... Have used in Alabama and Georgia i bet theyd work up in your area too. Scent control scent control scent control study up lots online info and supplies
I have seen lots of coyotes harvested with snares here in southeast kansas. We have lots of cows and fence around here so setting a few dozen in a fence line can do ya a lot of good. For about three months my buddy avragged about 5-6 a week. At first it was 3-4 a day but as they thinned out it slowed down to 1-2 a week. I don't think he has set. Any for a year or two now.

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk

I have so many other animals that comes through there, I'm half afraid to set a snare. I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, it's just the last thing I want to do is snare a bear cub and have to figure out what the next step is.

I have so many other animals that comes through there, I'm half afraid to set a snare. I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, it's just the last thing I want to do is snare a bear cub and have to figure out what the next step is.
That is certainly a valid concern, ive not personally seen it but dogs deer etc... have also been snared. I have used quite abit and have only caught yotes and a couple pigs. They do have some sort of attachment for protection against deer i dont know what it is or how it works though. Here are a couple i made myself from hardware store items cheaply they do work. I make my own slide catch thingy with cheap brackets you can buy better im sure at trapper supply though.20180701_195236.jpg 20180701_195209.jpg

Glad you got him. They make quick work out of newborn cattle. Seems like they can smell what's going on before it's born and have been known to follow the momma around while she's in labor.

Its coming time, turkeys gonna be vocal, fawns will begin dropping etc... We've been,hearing the yotes about a week getting louder.

Dang lil dog wooped me, when it takes ya an hour to skin one ya glad its only one. Dead in snare means cold hard skinning, Not best ive ever done but its done. Funny at least once a week someone says whats them stakes for on your pickup:), hangin stuff....
Waste not want not someone will use it, our,southern aint near quality of up north or high,West, but its what we are blessed with. 0218191020_HDR_20190218105101072.jpg 0218191043_HDR_20190218105130096.jpg

What do you do with the carcass after you skin it?
Stew meat?
Or
Dog food?

Dang lil dog wooped me, when it takes ya an hour to skin one ya glad its only one. Dead in snare means cold hard skinning, Not best ive ever done but its done. Funny at least once a week someone says whats them stakes for on your pickup:), hangin stuff....
Waste not want not someone will use it, our,southern aint near quality of up north or high,West, but its what we are blessed with. View attachment 20077 View attachment 20078

We used to wrap the cold ones in a big black contractor's garbage bag and leave them in the sun on the tailgate for a bit. Warms them up soft enough to make skinning and quartering easier. Do the same for any cold animal.

How did you skin that tail out like that?
Pretty simple, skinning i start on back legs work them down, cut around the anus, start pulling down tail, when I have about an inch or two down the tail use good sharp knife make a cut line down the tail(bottom side) comes right off. They do,actually make a tail tool has various size holes like a tubing flare kit ? Thing, my buddy who traps alot has one, it works but ive never needed one.

Somewhere somebody asked about beaver ? Here ya go, not huge but really nice fur make,something nice and he chose a bad location to set up a dam. Good news got a beaver bad news have to get him skinned out and its cold and windy. Make quick work of,it coffee time. Yes im gassed in picture, llooonnggg hill top and valley walk to truck.0304191755.jpg 0304191740b.jpg

Coyote, Beaver, what's next ? Maybe a bear skin rug ? Dj, you were born about 100 years too late.

Back