• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to Me Mossberg 20 Gauge Tactical

I've been looking for a tactical 20 gauge shotgun for a LONG time. They just aren't to be had in my area of Texas. I went by my favorite pawn shop today, and found a used Mossberg 8 shot 20 gauge tactical. Although the price was a little high ($300 out the door), I figure I'll save money by not going to so many gun shows looking for one. I'm posting a stock picture until I get a chance to test it out, and take my own pictures. Mossberg 20 gauge.jpg

That's a unicorn, right there! If it is in newish shape I think $300 is "fair" considering adding a set of sights would certainly cost at least $75... Any "newer" used 500 in "like-new" condition is worth at least $200 in my book.

Appreciate all the nice feedback on my new shotgun. Bobster- my 20 gauge is in excellent condition. The previous owner maintained it very well. The ONLY thing I found incomplete was the swivel stud on the magazine tube is missing. I'll order one soon. Added a picture for your review. By the way, I just oiled it, so that may show up looking like blemishes on the finish. Also, took it out and calibrated the sights with slugs. A VERY accurate little shotgun, and so much easier for me to handle than my 12 gauge.
bMossberg 20 gauge tactical.JPG

Nice looking shotty. I love the 20 gauges. People say their wussy guns, but I can shoot one literally all day without flinching or getting a sore shoulder, and I am more accurate with them knowing theres quite a bit less recoil.

That configuration doesn't show up too often, especially with those sights and extended mag tube on a 20 gauge. Nice gun! I would put wood furniture on it, but that just me :)

Nice looking shotty. I love the 20 gauges. People say their wussy guns, but I can shoot one literally all day without flinching or getting a sore shoulder, and I am more accurate with them knowing theres quite a bit less recoil.

That configuration doesn't show up too often, especially with those sights and extended mag tube on a 20 gauge. Nice gun! I would put wood furniture on it, but that just me :)

Agreed and there`s some nice loads available for them too...#3 and #4 buckshot is a fine HD load.

As I told my wife when I bought this shotgun- I can count on one hand the number of "tactical" 20 gauge shotguns (Reminton or Mossberg) I've seen at all the gun shows I've been to in this area. I couldn't touch the price on a new one, as they've all been around $500, when you could find one. Anyway, this will be a keeper. I think this is a really well made little shotgun. I'm impressed with the finish of the receiver and the internal parts. Everything fits tightly, and the action is very smooth. I look forward to many practice sessions with this shotgun.

I modded a 20ga Remmy Wingmaster for my brother several years ago. I shortened the barrel eliminating the adjustachoke that was missing the end collar anyway. Mounted a Mossy bead (that I keep in stock) and got a Choate extended mag tube for it. This particular model was based on a 12ga receiver/tube so a 12ga bolt and barrel would have made it into a 12ga Wingy...

Dumbass got himself in trouble with his ex so we had to "get rid of it" for him. :rolleyes:

remmy.jpg

I modded a 20ga Remmy Wingmaster for my brother several years ago. I shortened the barrel eliminating the adjustachoke that was missing the end collar anyway. Mounted a Mossy bead (that I keep in stock) and got a Choate extended mag tube for it. This particular model was based on a 12ga receiver/tube so a 12ga bolt and barrel would have made it into a 12ga Wingy...

Dumbass got himself in trouble with his ex so we had to "get rid of it" for him. :rolleyes:

View attachment 20160

So you are the new proud owner because your brother was a dumbass? LOL

Here is my 20 gauge right now- 24" slugster barrel, homemade sling, sidesaddle shell carrier. Nothing too special- I want to get a 18.5" barrel for it but don't want to spend $150 or something crazy like that. I had one I had trimmed to 19" from 28 but it didn't have a sight and was really hard to hit anything.
009.JPG

So you are the new proud owner because your brother was a dumbass? LOL

I had one I had trimmed to 19" from 28 but it didn't have a sight and was really hard to hit anything.

I ended up trading the Remmy AND a new BB gun for a custom 10/22 with bull barrel and alum chassis stock, extra 10//22 stocks and barrels AND a Chiappa M9-22 "Beretta" .22 pistol. Traded the 10/22 for a Ruger 22/45 target with accessories and $200 in my pocket. Think I sold that off for $300? The Chrappa was a piece of shit, with bulging cases and whatnot. I was able to return under warranty and they sent me a complete AR-22 in its stead. Not impressed, I think I sold that off NIB for $300. All told, the Remmy probably made me $800! :)

Anyhow, speaking of "red flag laws" I had to write a letter indicating I had sold the gun to an unknown party which satisfied my brother's ex's lawyer.

It isn't that hard to drill and mount a bead. I keep Mossy beads and tap handy and in stock. Set gun up straight, mark location on center of barrel, mount in drill press squarely, drill, tap, insert bead to see if it sticks into the bore and file away a thread at a time until it fits without protruding and touch up in place in necessary, then locktite in place.

Back