• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde

Does any have experience with a 590A1 Retrograde? I'm very interested in getting one, but I'm not sure I need another shotgun, but they are so attractive, if not a little pricy. Buds Gun Shop has them for $678 which looks like a good price but with the $50 FFL fee and the $15 NJ NICS check that puts the deal at $743. The wood furniture looks great, but I question whether the wood is worth the price differential. Your thoughts please.

The price seems right, so if you like it, then go for it.

Personally, if I were looking for something with a retro look by Mossberg and already owned your typical shotguns making it difficult to justify getting just another shotgun, then I would opt for the 590 Nightstick.

50651_590_NIGHTSTICK_TALOpng-e1541542032437.png

Not only does it have a distinctively retro look to it, but it's just different enough from other shotguns, and much cheaper than the 590A1 Retrograde you're currently looking at.

Have you considered getting a used Mossberg 500 and putting a nice set of wood furniture on it?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I love a good project gun.

I can get them a lot less expensively, and I enjoy restoring them. There have been more than a million 500's produced. Some used guns could just about pass for new.

Last edited:
Good ideas. I might get a 590SP ( 20" blued barrel with heat shield) and replace the synthetic furniture with wood furniture. Does anyone know of a source for 590 wood furniture? Will 500 furniture fit a 590? I really don't need the 590A1 heavy barrel and ghost ring sights. I'll probably install a red dot sight anyway - my right eye doesn't work too well from an old detached retina repair.

man ,that is a way cool lookin shotgun,kinda hard not to look at it,gives me cool ideas.

I'm amazed at how comfortable it is to shoot, too! Because the brace is soft rubber, it's very absorbent, even with hot slugs. Length of pull is under 13½" to remain being viewed as a brace by the ATF, and not as a stock, (which is illegal to add to a Shockwave because of the 14" barrel).

Couple the short LOP with the angled AR A2 style grip, and you kinda feel all hunched up like a monkey humping a football, but it kinda helps to be scrunched up somehow. Being all tucked in actually makes you feel more secure when you're doing quick slide racks.

That being said, a stock will always be better than a brace, but this ain't bad.

Sorry to hijack! Back to the Retro!

Ok, I found a 590A1 Retro in a local gun shop and it looks and feels really nice, but it's a bit pricey. They want $770 for it, however they will sell my Springfield Armory M1A loaded and the proceeds from that should cover the shotgun. The Retro recoil pad feels soft and comfortable, so it should be easy on the shoulder. Also, the action is smooth and silky. For some reason it racks smoother than my 500. I'll post some pictures here when I get it.

The proceeds of the M1A loaded should make them owing you money to boot. Those are $1300+ rifles.

Not only that, they're making money even at $770 because they don't have that in it.

I'm not telling you not to buy it, but I don't want to see them take you to the cleaners either.

Ok, I found a 590A1 Retro in a local gun shop and it looks and feels really nice, but it's a bit pricey. They want $770 for it, however they will sell my Springfield Armory M1A loaded and the proceeds from that should cover the shotgun. The Retro recoil pad feels soft and comfortable, so it should be easy on the shoulder. Also, the action is smooth and silky. For some reason it racks smoother than my 500. I'll post some pictures here when I get it.
they can be found for less and keep your other weapon too.

Back