• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

PGO Cruiser questions

Hello all- I recently won a Gunbroker auction for a Mossberg 500 PGO Cruiser in 20 gauge. I've had several PGO shotguns before, but all in 12 gauge. Although I was able to shoot the 12 gauge versions without too much difficulty, I find the 20 gauge to be considerably more controllable, and actually very accurate at short ranges. I added a one point sling, and when providing tension by pushing forward on the shotgun, it's almost like shooting with a conventional buttstock. Just wondering some of the following questions:

1. Who else likes PGO shotguns?
2. Who has tried both 12 and 20 gauge, and opted for the 20 gauge?
3. Who else runs a single point sling on a PGO shotgun with increased control and stability?

I'm just wondering, because the vast majority of internet comments on PGO shotguns are VERY negative. I think the 20 gauge is the ideal truck gun, and it's also very handy in a boat for snakes. I really never had any trouble aiming or firing one, and really can't understand why so many people dislike PGO shotguns. Thanks in advance for your comments.

I'm not a huge fan of PGO Mossberg 500's. I'm not going to lie.

I'm not as accurate with them as I am one that I can shoulder so that's why I prefer shotguns with a stock and the shortest barrel as I can and not against the pgo gun itself.

They do excel as a truck or boat or pack gun though.

20 gauge is easier to manage due to less recoil and faster followups.

Congratulations on winning the auction for the gun.

Did a test yesterday to compare the PGO grip vs a conventional stock. On this particular shotgun, I much prefer the PGO grip. I find I can acquire targets almost as fast, and get follow-up shots almost as fast. I think I'll keep it in PGO configuration. Mu HD shotgun is the 20"barrel with extended mag tube and ghost ring sights with conventional stock. That particular gun I like the conventional stock.

Due the the medicine I have to take for chemotherapy, even a 20 gauge to the shoulder "smarts". I find a pistol grip to be a good way to use this shotgun for this reason. Elbert- shooting a PGO is fun, isn't it?

Well, you asked for opinions so here is mine.

First, let me say that I am happy that you won the auction and are pleased with your purchase. Congrats! And I am sorry that you are undergoing Chemo. :(

I can tuck a normally stocked shotgun under my armpit and shoot it at very close quarters with good success. And in that role it is short and handy, but isn't accurate beyond maybe 20-feet. Since I hate to give up the immense advantage of having a shoulder stock I don't go PGO. For that reason I do not like PGO shotguns whatsoever. And it is why I don't like the Shockwave either.

I see PGO shotguns in a specialized military role for breaching doors, but other than for that purpose the .mil and LEO would never consider using a PGO shotgun as a fighting tool. Show up at a LE Shotgun training course with a PGO and they will you kick you off the range ricki-tick. And call you a retard to your face. People can be cruel sometimes.

I will say that I realize you are not specifically talking about a fighting shotgun, although a truck gun sounds like a self-defense role which makes it a fighting tool. In a boat against sneks up close a PGO would be plenty good.

What about a .410 with a shortened cut down stock? Is that a possibility?

Anyway.... Congrats.

Last edited:
Due the the medicine I have to take for chemotherapy, even a 20 gauge to the shoulder "smarts". I find a pistol grip to be a good way to use this shotgun for this reason. Elbert- shooting a PGO is fun, isn't it?

My thoughts and prayers are with you during your treatments!

I think I`ve mentioned it before but the pistol grip fits my need perfectly and if I need to go into the field, it only takes a few minutes to put the butt stock back on and yes Sir, it is fun! :)

Elbert-

I appreciate your consideration. Your video is great!!!! That looks like a LOT of fun. Thanks for sharing!

Nitesite-appreciate your comments. I totally agree that the gun controls are MUCH more accessible with a conventional stock. I tried to like a Hogue stock on this shotgun, but it just didn't work out. The PGO is much more "User-friendly" for me for the reasons I mentioned previously. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Back