• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

God, that felt good.

From the Florida bear pamphlet:
Bears have the best sense of smell of any land mammal, seven times better than a bloodhound.

Pretty amazing stuff.
So, is there no effective bear repellent odor?
I can't imagine putting up electric wire to keep bears out.

On the property where I have a cabin in upper MI we set up an electric cattle fence around the community dumpsters. It works quite well. Don't ask me the details, I wasn't involved with the actual building of the fence but i can attest that it does provide a decent punch of persuasion. I believe, from what I can see, it is just the std wire and solar charger you can buy from TSC.

Meanstreak, I live on the Ky/Tn/Va border and there was a record bear struck by an SUV just across the mountain in Big Stone Gap, VA this morning.

My wife tried to get a screenshot of the entire post so you can read it for yourself but could only get the picture, which I'm going to share in a minute.

naturally, the SUV is totaled.

State said the bear weighed 790 lbs.

Told you we had some big ones around here.

Va state record bear 790 lbs.png

My wife shared a picture with me that someone took of a sick bear that someone found here in the county recently. I reckon they sent it to some bear rescue place to try to save it in Tennessee.

I hope Tennessee keeps the thing there when they get done. That's all we need is more bears that are accustomed to and reliant on humans.

Anyway, thought you guys would like to see it. They said it was a yearling and about 50lbs underweight. I don't think it's as old as they believe, but whatever.

sick bear.JPG

it kind of reminds me of this bear on our camera a while back.

KLvjDJa.jpg

Pigs are a lot cleaner than bears.

Have you ever smelled a barn in the summer? That's what bears smell like.

They will even eat poopy baby diapers (yes seriously) and anything else they can find. Once, I even poured ammonia into my trash thinking it would keep them out of it. I poured it straight into the stale box of cereal.

Bear ate the cereal anyway, even after being doused with ammonia.

I really hate bears. They are about as useful as kudzu and wild hogs. Basically no different than any other invasive species.

I don't know what the hell has happened to Kentucky because out here there would be a bear hunting Posse. There hasn't been one out here that I know of for a long time but there have been a few large cats.

Wow. That is gruesome reading. Can you imagine going out and finding your wife and dog like that. I guess government folk worry more about the poor bears than they do people.

I can't imagine the wardens mentioning bird seed, when the smell of humans cooking goes so much farther. The whole report was heartbreaking.

Back