• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ontario sp1 marine knife

Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm knew to combat type knives .I have a Ontario sp1 marine knife and I was wanting to know what angle they sharpen there combat knives from the factory .

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

I dont think they have a set angle, and is usually not consistent. Most are sharpened on belt type sharpeners, and the angle can change from front to back.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

One other thing that I thought about doing with the Ontario sp1 and that was I'm thinking about sharpening the swedge on it I thought about useing a different angle for it.I think for the swedge I'm going to sharpen it at a 25° angle .what do you guys think about that

I think it's a great idea, I did just that with mine. Although I free handed it, so I dont know the angle. Come to think, I don't even know if I used stones. I may have used a scotch brite type disc, on a die grinder. It's a quick way to sharpen my larger fixed knives, and machetes.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I'm have desided to go with the 35° angle it has given me the edge I want and it seems to hold up to the task that I'm going to use it for .as for the swedge I'm going to use a file then switch to stone .in just going to try and keep it a 35° angle also

The last couple of years, I have been using a Smiths brand knife sharpener on all of my blades. 4 or 5 passes and it's usually sharp again.

Sorry, none of that answered anything you asked.

If you contact Ontario directly, they may be able to answer your question though. It's worth a try.

Yea that's what I have been useing a smiths i got the write angle now 35° 30° and 25 ° it would get sharp but with use those 2 angles the tip to about two inches back would not but useing the 35° angle the whole blade gets sharp.I should have tried that before I bothered you guys sorry .Thanks for the input

You're not bothering anyone. We're glad you joined. And hope you hang out with us more often.

...I should have tried that before I bothered you guys sorry .

Bother??? Are you kidding? I don't even sharpen knives but I find your posts fascinating. I hope you will share some pic of your knives and tools when you get a chance.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

The WorkSharp really does a great job on my carbon steel knives.
I love the worksharp it addicting though, MORE BELTS !!!!!! before I knew it my knives wifes knives junk knives the axes the machetes the shovels and hoes and basically anything with an edge I was sharpening :idk:

I sharpend the swedge last night now I'm going to work on putting the 90° angle on the spine then after that I'm either going to buy some cold blueing or buy some flat black Dura coat to cover up the bare spots I caused try to get the wright angle [emoji51]

After I get the knife the way I want it im going to do some modifications to the sheath I know I don't like the shoe string or para cord for the leg straps I'm thinking 1/2 inch leather with a buckle not sure what I'm going to do with that yet

I tried to send a picture to show the the sharpens swedge and how the paint was wore on the main part of the blade a result of trying to sharpen at a 25° angle .so I don't know where they ended up

Back